Old January 23rd 05, 08:52 AM
Angel Vilaseca

Default JVC GZ-S3 camera connector

Hi,

A friend gave me a JVC GZ-S3 camera and I want to use it for ATV.

This camera has a 10-pin connector to its power supply and VCR.
Unfortunately, I don't have any of the original units, so I cannot do
anything with it.

I want to homebrew a power supply or adapt one of the units I already have
and use the video signal for my ATV xmitter.

Does someone have some data about the GZ-S3 connector wiring?

This camera is a nice unit, with expensive optics, it was state-of-the art
back in the '80s. I hate the idea of ripping it away for parts.

73

Angel HB9SLV

Old January 23rd 05, 08:29 PM
larry

Greetings

In looking through my junk? box, I have found a number of crystal
transmitter strips that I had collected over the 70's with plans to put
various projects to practical use...

Unfortunately, time has a way changing ones directions in life...

I now find myself with these transmitter strips and would like to turn them
into useful variable frequency transmitters. I also have one or two
receiver strips using crystals.

When I see the police and other portable radio users, I often wonder how
they get several frequencies in their handhelds. I also suspect that the
various services, like police, ambulance, etc, have one handheld board and
they have similar chips which are program for their particular bands or
channels in mind...

I am looking through search engines, like google, but I wonder if anyone
reading this might know of a company which produces rf synthesizer chips in
particular that I could take a look at...

Larry ve3fxq

Old January 23rd 05, 09:38 PM
xpyttl

Larry

There are a number of synthesizer chips ... probably the most popular for
amateur use are those from Analog Devices. There are a large number of
projects using the AD9850, which is kind of long in the tooth now, but still
it works quite well for HF. It's main downside is that it needs a high
frequency oscillator, and package crystal oscillators in the 100 to 120 MHz
range tend to be kind of power hungry.

Check out http://www.amqrp.org and look at the DDS daughter card. It is
about the simplest way to apply one of these. The daughter card provides
pretty much the minimum you need to use a 9850. There are lots of other
projects out there, including a couple of boards from Far Circuits, but most
of them presume that you want to do something specific. The daughtercard
has the basics and nothing more. If you basically want a VFO, there is a
Far Circuits board that is pretty much the same as the DDS Daughtercard but
adds a PIC, encoder and LCD to make a complete DC-30MHz VFO. AmQRP also has
an IQ-VFO project currently that, I think, uses a 9854.

TI also has some nice synthesizers. Look into the TRF4400/4900 and also
their TRF2050/51/52. They are cheaper than the AD parts, but AD is easy
with samples. In fact, they make it pretty hard to buy one or two of their
chips. Seems like they would rather give them away. The TI chips are
generally UHF parts, but with a prescaler they can be used down in the HF
range. The 4x00 parts are called "transmitters" but they are nothing more
than DDS chips with a little more power out.

Old January 25th 05, 01:44 AM
John

"Angel Vilaseca" wrote in message
Hi,

A friend gave me a JVC GZ-S3 camera and I want to use it for ATV.

This camera has a 10-pin connector to its power supply and VCR.
Unfortunately, I don't have any of the original units, so I cannot do
anything with it.

I want to homebrew a power supply or adapt one of the units I already have
and use the video signal for my ATV xmitter.

Does someone have some data about the GZ-S3 connector wiring?

This camera is a nice unit, with expensive optics, it was state-of-the art
back in the '80s. I hate the idea of ripping it away for parts.

73

Angel HB9SLV

I have a JVC GX-S9U camera that has a 10 pin connector. The wiring for
it is:

1 - video
2 - video shield
3 - ????
4 - ground (possibly for the remote control or the channel 2 audio shield)
5 - channel 2 (right) audio (camera has a jack for a second mike)
6 - remote control (pause)
7 - channel 1 (left) audio (built-in mike)
8 - audio shield
9 - ground (for +12 volts)
10 - +12 volts

I would expect yours to be wired the same but you never know.
Measure between pins 4 and 9 to see if they are shorted together.

John WA3TSW