Old February 25th 05, 04:06 PM
Brian Hill

Default NE604 for Spectrum Display IF

Hi all. I'm in the process of trying to match the IF of my R-5000 receiver
to the input of my WJ/CEI spectrum display unit. I've heard that this can be
acomplished useing the NE604 mixer. The SDU uses 21.4 mhz and the R-5000's
1st IF is 58.1125 mhz. Any help would be most apreciated. Thanks

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old February 25th 05, 07:15 PM
Pete KE9OA

Hi Brian,
What you can use is low-side injection at 36.7125MHz.
Normally, high-side injection is used since it has fewer in-band spurs. A
freeware program such as AppCad will generate spur charts for you, and you
can see what happens. Because you are only interested in one frequency, it
is pretty unlikely that you will have any problems.
The circuit topology can be like this: your I.F. output will feed into the
RF port of the NE602 mixer. Because this mixer has an IP3 of only -10dBm or
so, your 1dB compression point will be at around -24dBm. Your RF level
should be at least 10dB below that point.......................-40dBm is a
good figure to shoot for. This corresponds to a 2.24mV level into 50 ohms.
It is a good idea to have a "pi" type of resistive attenuator ahead of that
NE602............this way, you can adjust the input level as needed. The 50
ohm figure is good to shoot for, but there are always imaginary terms
(reactance) at the mixer input so calculations are only a starting point.
You can use the on-board oscillator of the NE602 for you LO. A 3rd overtone
crystal would do the trick. You can actually use a Colpitts scheme,
adjusting the feedback capacitor values so that they have a high reactance
at the fundamental frequency of the crystal; this way, only the harmonic
will be generated. Over the years, I would use a 4:1 ratio of the top cap vs
the grounded cap. An example is 120 over 30pF for a 10.7MHz oscillator, but
your mileage may vary.
Your I.F. output really should go through some type of 21.4MHz tuned filter,
because you are going to have two sidebands coming out of that mixer. The
lower sideband (the desired one) will be a 21.4MHz, while the upper sideband
(the image) will be at 94.82MHz. You don't want to have this response.
Since the NE602 has a good NF and has gain, you shouldn't need a buffer amp,
unless the WJ unit presents a 50 ohm load. You need to know what level the
WJ unit requires, so that you can provide the proper level from your
translater.
I hope this helps.

Pete

Old February 25th 05, 07:34 PM
W8KZW

Pete ... thanks for the help!

I am planning to build a similar mixer to allow use of my Kenwood SM-220 /
BP-8 panadapter (I think those are the model numbers) with my FT-1000D.

I will keep your suggestions in mind!

I wonder if someone hasn't already done this ????

73,
Jeff
W8KZW

Old February 25th 05, 07:48 PM
Brian Hill

"Pete KE9OA" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Pete. Would it be possible to fabricate the design in such a way as
to acomodate differant IFs. Maybe some type of switchable or multiport setup
so it can be used on differant receivers?

Old February 25th 05, 09:04 PM
Pete KE9OA

You could so a universal PC board layout, as long as you use the same form
factor for the components of the different iterations. To have a
"bandswitched" unit isn't a trivial factor. You would need relays, PIN
diodes, or RF switches to switch in the different crystals, I/O filters,
etc. Don't forget that you would also need an adjustable attenuator for the
different receivers' I.F. outputs, and maybe, different gain in the output
stage of your translator. The LO crystal's feedback components probably
would also have to be changed in value. You would be better off doing a
board layout and building the different versions as you need them. Another
thing to consider.........................does your receiver already have a
bufferred I.F. output? You need that, so that you don't load the crystal
filter of your receiver, thereby changing its response.

Pete