Old March 14th 05, 04:24 AM
Hatfield

Default Wire gauge for 117 VAC circuit?

Hello, in the past, my from scratch contruction has been @ 12 volts.
Now I am going to try a built from scratch tube project which uses 117
volt main xformer, also 117 v on the plate; the whole radio circuit
will be fused through a 2 amp fuse.

What gauge of hook up wire should I use for the project's circuitry,
for safety's sake, I don't want to use too small.

Thanks for any advice.

WKH

Old March 14th 05, 07:03 AM
John Popelish

Hatfield wrote:

Hello, in the past, my from scratch contruction has been @ 12 volts.
Now I am going to try a built from scratch tube project which uses 117
volt main xformer, also 117 v on the plate; the whole radio circuit
will be fused through a 2 amp fuse.

What gauge of hook up wire should I use for the project's circuitry,
for safety's sake, I don't want to use too small.

Thanks for any advice.

WKH

The gauge needed is not related to voltage, but to current. Once you
have decided what current each winding must carry, you can choose the
wire size for that current.
Here is a wire table that recommends wire size versus amps that should
serve.
http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1.../msg00189.html
--
John Popelish
Old March 14th 05, 08:18 AM
Tim Wescott

John Popelish wrote:
Hatfield wrote:

Hello, in the past, my from scratch contruction has been @ 12 volts.
Now I am going to try a built from scratch tube project which uses 117
volt main xformer, also 117 v on the plate; the whole radio circuit
will be fused through a 2 amp fuse.

What gauge of hook up wire should I use for the project's circuitry,
for safety's sake, I don't want to use too small.

Thanks for any advice.

WKH

The gauge needed is not related to voltage, but to current. Once you
have decided what current each winding must carry, you can choose the
wire size for that current.
Here is a wire table that recommends wire size versus amps that should
serve.
http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1.../msg00189.html

The wiring insulation determines the safe operating voltage -- buy wire
who's insulation is rated for the voltages you want to work with. It
should be readily available, so there's no reason to cut corners here.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Old March 14th 05, 08:21 AM
Andrew VK3BFA

Hatfield wrote:
Hello, in the past, my from scratch contruction has been @ 12 volts.
Now I am going to try a built from scratch tube project which uses

117
volt main xformer, also 117 v on the plate; the whole radio circuit
will be fused through a 2 amp fuse.

What gauge of hook up wire should I use for the project's circuitry,
for safety's sake, I don't want to use too small.

Thanks for any advice.

WKH

If you are asking this sort of question, then I would seriously doubt
your ability to complete a HV project without killing yourself - have
you read the section "Electrical Safety" in the ARRL handbook - can
recommend it as a good general text on all things electronic.

The size you need is the same as nearly every mains operated appliance
in your house - go to your local hardware store and buy as much as you
need - dont know what current ratings you use in the USA, but 10 amps
is generally more than sufficient for nearly everything. Do you know
how to terminate the power plug safely , and properly wire it to the
radio you are building? - it is important, and again the ARRL handbook
covers such safety issues.

Good luck with the project, you are starting to get into "real"
radio.....

73 de VK3BFA Andrew

Old March 14th 05, 04:41 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On 14 Mar 2005 00:21:10 -0800, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Hatfield wrote:
Hello, in the past, my from scratch construction has been @ 12 volts.
Now I am going to try a built from scratch tube project which uses
117 volt main xformer, also 117 v on the plate; the whole radio
circuit will be fused through a 2 amp fuse.

If you are asking this sort of question, then I would seriously doubt
your ability to complete a HV project without killing yourself - ....

Especially when the OP states that he'll be using "117 v on the plate"!!
Sounds like a 'design' more dangerous than the old AC/DC radios!

Jonesy