Old June 13th 05, 08:39 PM

Default 12VAC to 24VAC Transformer -- Ideas?

I need to find a transformer (converter?) that will allow me to
upconvert from 12VAC to 24VAC in order to drive a small motorized
device (50 watts) for continuous duty. I tried using a 110V/220V
'travel' transformer -- it gave me the correct voltage but not enough
output wattage (probably not enough turns on the windings). I need a
transformer rather than an electronic converter since I am driving an
AC motor... isolation isn't an issue so I could go with an
Autotransformer. Thanks.

Old June 13th 05, 09:03 PM
johan aeq

A simple transformer with two 12 windings would do the trick.
The primary windig will give you line voltage as an extra bonus.

schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old June 13th 05, 10:06 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Radio Shack has 115volt to 24 volt transformers But if you need to go from
12 to 24 you might look for a transformer with a 12 and 24 volt winding.
Feed your 12 volts to the 12 volt side of the transformer and use the 24.
Make sure you insulate the 115 volt leads as they will be hot.
If you cant find one go to Radio Shack and get a 12 and 24 volt transformer,
connect the 115 volt windings to each other, feed 12 volts in and and get 24
out.

--

73
Hank WD5JFR
l...

Old June 13th 05, 10:13 PM

Duh... an obvious solution that I entirely missed -- thanks to Henry &
Johan as well!

Old June 18th 05, 05:41 PM
Ken Scharf

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Yet another possibility is to get a 110-to-12 volt transformer and a
110-to-24 volt transformer. Connect the 110 volt windings to each other,
put your 12 volts into the 12 volt winding and take 24 out of the 24
volt winding. I'm sure you're getting the general idea. . .

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Jim Adney wrote:

On 13 Jun 2005 12:39:44 -0700 wrote:

I need to find a transformer (converter?) that will allow me to
upconvert from 12VAC to 24VAC in order to drive a small motorized
device (50 watts) for continuous duty. I tried using a 110V/220V
'travel' transformer -- it gave me the correct voltage but not enough
output wattage (probably not enough turns on the windings).

The 110/220 transformer had more than enough turns, they were just
wound with wire that was too small for the current that you require.

You could try to find a similar 110/220 transformer with more current
capacity, but this would be big.

An alternative would be to pick up a transformer with 2 12V
secondaries. Ignore the primaries and put the secondaries in series.
Then you apply your 12V between one end and the "center tap" and you
get 24V between the 2 ends, assuming you have the phasing right.

The 2 12V secondaries have to be rated for the current you plan to
draw.

-
Jim Adney

Madison, WI 53711 USA

I did that, but with identical transformers to replace a small
power transformer giving 115v@20ma and
[email protected] amp
Used two 6.3v 1A transformers back to back and a bridge
rectifier on the 115v side.