Old July 2nd 05, 07:08 PM
m005kennedy

Default recharable soldering iron

I usually do a small amout of soldering at once. I was thinking of
getting a recharable soldering iron just for the convience factor. I
was hoping to get a brand and supplier recomendation. I've seen them
for around $60. I would think they would be fine for QRP type
construction.

Mike
KB1IUI

Old July 2nd 05, 11:13 PM
Roy Lewallen

Years ago, Wahl (the hair clipper company) made one that was small,
lightweight, quite well made, and one that should suit your purpose very
well. You might check to see if they still make it.

I wanted a portable iron for outdoor soldering but it didn't have enough
moxie for outdoor antenna work. A butane iron is much better for that
purpose.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old July 3rd 05, 01:38 AM
Highland Ham

"m005kennedy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I usually do a small amout of soldering at once. I was thinking of
getting a recharable soldering iron just for the convience factor. I
was hoping to get a brand and supplier recomendation. I've seen them
for around $60. I would think they would be fine for QRP type
construction.

===========================
Suggest you consider a butane gas iron with choice of a number of tips with
integral cathalitic burner . Gas flow can be adjusted ,hence the tip's
temperature.
There are various makes . I happen to use the Portasol Professional iron
,made in the Republic of Ireland, but there are other cheaper but equally
effective makes.

The iron's gas container with shut-off valve can be filled with a butane gas
cannister as used for cigarette lighters.

The smaller tips are excellent for printed circuit boards involving ICs and
the usual discrete components.
The larger tips are good for more heavy work like soldering PL259 plugs to
coax .
A 'Jumbo' tip has an equivalent rating of 100 Watts
However for surface mount components you need a micro tip. For this type of
work I use an electric cordless iron powered by 2 pcs 1.2V NiCad batteries.
But after a number of joints the batteries must be charged by placing the
complete iron in a stand . The unit I use is called ISOTIP ,made in USA by
Wahl Clipper Corporation.
The iron was purchased in 1980 and used regularly ,however the charger is
very primative (just a transformer with an embedded diode in the secondary
low voltage winding), resulting in relatively short battery life . I now
use the iron with a homebrew charger permitting 2 selectable charge rates
being 300 and 10 mA , the first used while using the iron , the 10 mA rate
when idle (trickle charging). Now the batteries hold their charge well and
the iron is ready for use at all times . Battery replacement however is
awkward .

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old July 3rd 05, 02:13 AM
-ex-

Highland Ham wrote:

[...]

That sounds like the one I had in the 80's. It soldered well enough but
didn't have enough gas in the battery tank to do any very serious work.
If it were to be used regularly Frank's comments about a trickle
charger are worth noting.

-Bill
Old July 3rd 05, 03:31 AM
gb

"Highland Ham" wrote in message

[...]

Wahl Corporation's HQ is about 100 miles due west of my QTH (outside of
Chicago).
http://www.iso-tip.com/html/soldering_irons.htm

They sell both the Iso-Tip cordless as well as an EZ Change model
Here are the web pages:
http://www.iso-tip.com/html/cordless_irons.htm
http://www.iso-tip.com/html/iso_tip_accessories.htm
http://www.iso-tip.com/html/ez_change.htm

They also sell a line of butane irons
http://www.iso-tip.com/html/butane_irons.htm

w9gb

Old July 3rd 05, 05:34 AM
clfe

"m005kennedy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I usually do a small amout of soldering at once. I was thinking of
getting a recharable soldering iron just for the convience factor. I
was hoping to get a brand and supplier recomendation. I've seen them
for around $60. I would think they would be fine for QRP type
construction.

Mike
KB1IUI

I have two of them, picked them both up at a hamfest for $5 each. Though
they needed batteries and a tip, they - to me - were a steal.
All included, I got both for less than the price of one - new. I use mine
extensively at times and got them for times when I'm trying to do repair
work when no immediate electric source OR as is my luck, a damned storm
comes and knocks out the power. At least with the Cordless, I can keep on
working. Most of my work involves only a DMM and Soldering equipment,
anything else can wait til power is available. I was able to get "very"
small tips for the really fine soldering I do at times, saved me lots of
grief. These are Iso-Tip brand. Very easy to maintain too. Not much to go
wrong with them. Tip and batteries - two major parts, aside from the
transformer in the charging base.

Even if ya have to buy one brand new, go for it....... "I" feel you'll make
a good choice. Before I close out - I "do" hope you're referring to the
"hot" kind, not the cold!!!!! The cold are JUNK.

clf

Old July 3rd 05, 05:40 AM
Michael A. Terrell

clfe wrote:

[...]

Add a 1N4000 (or similar small power) diode in series with the lamp
to extend the life. I was replacing the bulb every couple weeks, till I
did this.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old July 3rd 05, 05:45 AM
Michael A. Terrell

-ex- wrote:

That sounds like the one I had in the 80's. It soldered well enough but
didn't have enough gas in the battery tank to do any very serious work.
If it were to be used regularly Frank's comments about a trickle
charger are worth noting.

-Bill

I had the Wahl orange, eight hour charge version. I added a switch
to the primary of the transformer to turn it off at night. It rarely
ran down in normal, day to day use, and I worked at least 40 hours a
week with it and a couple other irons on my bench.

PS: The first version was gray and took 16 to 24 hours to charge. The
orange model came next, followed by the red, one hour charge model. Of
course, it came out the week after I bought the orange one.

Old July 3rd 05, 06:01 AM
-ex-

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I had the Wahl orange, eight hour charge version. I added a switch
to the primary of the transformer to turn it off at night. It rarely
ran down in normal, day to day use, and I worked at least 40 hours a
week with it and a couple other irons on my bench.

You should have kept that one.

-Bill
Old July 3rd 05, 07:11 AM
Michael A. Terrell

-ex- wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I had the Wahl orange, eight hour charge version. I added a switch
to the primary of the transformer to turn it off at night. It rarely
ran down in normal, day to day use, and I worked at least 40 hours a
week with it and a couple other irons on my bench.

You should have kept that one.

-Bill

I did, for about 12 years. Finally, the transformer went bad, and
the third battery pack shorted out. It was starting to develop cracks
in the iron's body, so I reluctantly salvaged the only good parts, the
diode and the bulb.