Old January 7th 05, 06:48 PM
RHF

Default "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool

For One and All,
..
Has anyone used one of these "Cold Heat" Soldering Tools ?
..
"Cold Heat" Soldering Tool
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vc...heat/coldheat/
..
AWARD WINNING - "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool
Here's a perfect example of the cordless, quick-heat
and quick-cool application of Cold Heat technology:
The "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool reaches 800=B0F in about
a second! Cools down almost as quickly!
..
The "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool revolutionizes the industry
for hobbyists, DIY-ers, technicians, electricians, engineers
and the military.
..
ABOUT - "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vc...heat/products/
..
FAQs - "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vc.../coldheat/faq/
..
USES - "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vc...coldheat/uses/
.. =20
.. =20
iwtk ~ RHF=20
..=20
..

Old January 7th 05, 07:03 PM
RHF

IMAGE - "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool
http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580.../95439/300.jpg
..
..
~ RHF
..
..

Old January 7th 05, 07:09 PM
johndobbs

My friend got one a couple of months ago. He said he liked it. I'll
have to ask him again for a more recent and updated review, now that
he's had it a few months. He said the soldering tip is actually two
electrodes. And when solder is placed across these little electrodes,
the solder completes the electrical circuit which therefore causes the
heat buildup. Once the solder is gone, the electrical circuit is broken
and you have a cold soldering tip again....relatively. That's all I
know about it for now.

Old January 7th 05, 07:38 PM
Mark S. Holden

RHF wrote:

For One and All,
.
Has anyone used one of these "Cold Heat" Soldering Tools ?
.
"Cold Heat" Soldering Tool
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vc...heat/coldheat/
.
AWARD WINNING - "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool
Here's a perfect example of the cordless, quick-heat
and quick-cool application of Cold Heat technology:
The "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool reaches 800°F in about
a second! Cools down almost as quickly!
.
The "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool revolutionizes the industry
for hobbyists, DIY-ers, technicians, electricians, engineers
and the military.
.
ABOUT - "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vc...heat/products/
.
FAQs - "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vc.../coldheat/faq/
.
USES - "Cold Heat" Soldering Tool
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vc...coldheat/uses/
.
.
iwtk ~ RHF
.
.

I looked into this when I first saw them advertised. The reviews I saw all said
it was worthless. Here's a link to the Amazon review page for it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00067GK7Y/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/104-4327252-1271913?%5Fencoding=UTF8&me=A2WEFPOFEIM91H&s=hi
Old January 7th 05, 07:38 PM

Open up (cut) the soldering tip of any regular soldering gun and it will
do the same thing.I prefer the good old fashion plug em in the electric
outlet kind of soldering guns.Those,As Seen On TV soldering guns,what
happens when the batteries run down?
cuhulin

Old January 7th 05, 08:07 PM
4nradio

I would agree with you, Mark. I bought one of these early last year when the
Seattle Times newspaper featured this local manufacturer in their
"Technology" section. Cold Heat had just begun to market their product at
the time, and there was a backorder list. It turns out it wasn't worth the
wait-- keeping the device's tip in proper contact with the joint is tricky,
and the tip (electrodes?) wear down and/or chip easily. It *is* pretty
amazing how fast the Cold Heat soldering iron cools off after use, and the
battery life is surprisingly long.

I've known how to solder properly for years, but the Cold Heat iron seems
designed to do one thing: make cold solder joints! The solder does not flow
well into the heated work piece as with traditional methods. The solder
wants to ball up even a short distance away from the point of contact. I
finally gave up and went back to a propane-powered soldering torch with a
catalytic element soldering tip. With care, I can easily solder anything "in
the field" that I need to, from Beverage antenna terminating resistors to
wires on ground rods.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

Old January 8th 05, 03:56 AM
Conan Ford

I understand that the cold heat soldering iron "is not recommended for
electronics." So, go ahead and solder a terminating resistor, but don't go
and solder next to an IC--for one, this iron is not grounded.

Old January 8th 05, 06:43 AM
RHF

GA,

"propane-powered soldering torch with
a catalytic element soldering tip"
..
Something like the one of these two ?
..
WELLER "Pyropen Junior"
https://webvia.techni-tool.com/VIA5/...lay.jsp?arg1=0
Self-igniting butane gas-powered soldering iron and hot air tool.
Has temperature control from 15 to 60 watts.
Features: Self-ignition finger switch; protective cap to keep hot tip
from contact with surfaces. Specs: heat-up time: 30 seconds;
Fuel tank capacity: approximately 1 hour. 8.25" OAL
..
ULYRATORCH - Butane Heat Tool STD UT-100SI.
https://webvia.techni-tool.com/VIA5/...ay.jsp?arg1=48
Cordless Ultratorch is a self-igniting, combination portable
soldering iron and flameless heat tool. Perfect for in-field
services and maintenance for production areas where
accessibility may be limited. Piezoelectric push button
system - no matches or lighters necessary. Completely
cordless - no E.M.I. Lightweight for fatigue-free use.
Variable temperature control. Streamlined design -
allows easy accessibility in restricted work areas.
Comes complete with a soldering and heat tip, spanner
wrench, open-end wrench, heat shrink attachment and
protective cap. Heating temperatures: 200-500 degrees C
(392-932 degrees F) when soldering, 700 degrees C
(1292 degrees F) when shrinking. DOES NOT OPERATE
IN TORCH MODE! (Butane Not Included)
..
iwtk ~ RHF
..
..

How does this "cold heat" soldering iron work? scroob Homebrew 12 August 21st 04 12:47 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
Soldering Tips that Heat Very Fast Martin McCormick Homebrew 4 February 24th 04 11:41 PM
Soldering Tips that Heat Very Fast Martin McCormick Homebrew 0 February 23rd 04 07:57 PM
GOOD NEWS-------France heat wave deaths top 14,000 Larry Roll K3LT Policy 3 October 20th 03 02:12 AM