Old July 30th 05, 12:10 AM
Joel

Default Pool leak detector?

Has anyone had any experience with some sort of above ground pool leak
detector? I figures if I could connect one probe to some sort of sensitive
restiance (ohm) meter and put it in the water, I could maybe read the
resistance between the probe and ground and then as I got closer to the leak
the restiance would go down. But the restiance is WAY high.. But seems to me
something like that would work. Any ideas?

Joe AG4QC

Old July 30th 05, 03:12 AM
Allodoxaphobia

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:10:10 -0500, Joel wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with some sort of above ground pool leak
detector? I figures if I could connect one probe to some sort of sensitive
restiance (ohm) meter and put it in the water, I could maybe read the
resistance between the probe and ground and then as I got closer to the leak
the restiance would go down. But the restiance is WAY high.. But seems to me
something like that would work. Any ideas?

Joe AG4QC

http://www.discovercircuits.com/PDF-FILES/h2oalm.pdf

Trim back the URL to find lotsa Neat Stuff.

HTH es 73
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
Old August 2nd 05, 09:41 PM
Wim Ton

Has anyone had any experience with some sort of above ground pool leak
detector? I figures if I could connect one probe to some sort of

sensitive
restiance (ohm) meter and put it in the water, I could maybe read the
resistance between the probe and ground and then as I got closer to the

leak
the restiance would go down. But the restiance is WAY high.. But seems to

me
something like that would work. Any ideas?

Maybe look only outside the pool for the wettest area. The keywords to look
for are in the direction of geophysics. These electrical methods are also
used to find subsurface water (e.g. where to drill wells)

Wim

Old August 4th 05, 08:29 AM
Joel

The problem is it could be on the bottom or sides and I need something
better then my eyes to find it. It certainly is leaking as I have standing
water all around the pool. The pool is 27 foot round, so a hole in the
bottom could show most anyplace on any or all sides. I am hoping to measure
'something' resistance seems to make senses.. But something to lead me to
the leaking location. The resistance is high between the water and the
ground but measurable. I'm not sure I can see the resistance change to
direct me in the right direction. I'm hoping to build or even buy something
that would be maybe a bridge that would zero out or null on the restiance
and then show minor changes. Something like that makes sense to me. But I
can't believe someone hasn't already built something like this.

Joe

. uk...

Old August 4th 05, 09:01 AM
-ex-

Joel wrote:

The problem is it could be on the bottom or sides and I need something
better then my eyes to find it. It certainly is leaking as I have standing
water all around the pool. The pool is 27 foot round, so a hole in the
bottom could show most anyplace on any or all sides. I am hoping to measure
'something' resistance seems to make senses.. But something to lead me to
the leaking location. The resistance is high between the water and the
ground but measurable. I'm not sure I can see the resistance change to
direct me in the right direction. I'm hoping to build or even buy something
that would be maybe a bridge that would zero out or null on the restiance
and then show minor changes. Something like that makes sense to me. But I
can't believe someone hasn't already built something like this.

Joe

This is a crazy idea...I had one of those moisture indicators like you
use with watering indoor house plants. Cost about 10 bux. Pretty
sensitive but i don't know if it would help in pinpointing anything in
your case.

But...if you've got standing water all around the pool it would seem to
me that you need to call a pool guy. They have experience in locating
these problems and you'll likely need them to come fix the problem
anyway. They won't be very impressed by having to slosh thru water to
view the results of your homebrew leak detector.

-Bill
Old August 4th 05, 07:37 PM
Fred McKenzie

In article , "Joel"
wrote:

The problem is it could be on the bottom or sides and I need something
better then my eyes to find it. It certainly is leaking as I have standing
water all around the pool.

Joe-

I've never had a pool, but it seems to me that standing water could only
be the result of a gross leak. You should be able to see it with the
naked eye.

Isn't it more likely that a leak would be in the external plumbing
associated with the pool? How else could the pool have a water level
lower than the surrounding standing water, unless it is located in a
swamp?

73, Fred, K4DII
Old August 5th 05, 04:35 AM
Joel

This is a above ground pool with a vinyl liner.. about 27 feet in diameter,
we had a special liner installed in it so we have the ground dug out so the
deep end is about 6 and half feet deep. The bottom is cement as it's the
only way to keep the sand from migrating along the bottom to the deep end.
So a leak is a bugger to find as the liner leaks and the cement bottom send
the water in all directions. I had another leak a year or so ago and I ended
up draining the pool and finely found it and repaired it. In this case I
can't drain the pool again, as the line probably won't take another
streaching. And -ex- your probably right, I need to get a expert out here..
I live about 200 miles from Nashville and 150 from Memphis, and that's where
these 'experts' probably would have to come. So if I could find this thing
it would be great. I know they make some sort of electronic gismos for
finding leaks, I just have no idea how they work.

Joe AG4QC

Old August 11th 05, 05:47 PM
Junior Member

Try turning your filter off, and dumping a pack of red Kool Aid (don't stir) into the pool. The red coloring will indicate the leak.

Old August 12th 05, 03:56 AM
Mr Fed UP

Have you considered a divining rod and holding it backwards?

Sorry couldn't resist the humor... but on the serious side,, I got
114,000 hits for a Yahoo search for "pool leak detector"
Might be something in that pile to help.
Good luck Gary

wrote:

The problem is it could be on the bottom or sides and I need something
better then my eyes to find it. It certainly is leaking as I have
standing
water all around the pool.

Joe-

I've never had a pool, but it seems to me that standing water could only
be the result of a gross leak. You should be able to see it with the
naked eye.

Isn't it more likely that a leak would be in the external plumbing
associated with the pool? How else could the pool have a water level
lower than the surrounding standing water, unless it is located in a
swamp?

73, Fred, K4DII

Channel-based AM tube tuner (was Designs for a single frequency high performance AM-MW receiver?) Jon Noring Shortwave 103 June 30th 04 07:13 PM
MW Receiver / Sync Detector Pete KE9OA Shortwave 15 January 10th 04 06:23 AM
AM Detector Info J M Noeding Homebrew 1 January 2nd 04 11:00 PM
Tayloe Mixer Resistance Questions Steve Kavanagh Homebrew 8 November 9th 03 10:07 PM