Old December 27th 05, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
James F. Mayer

Default 6v & 90v DC Power supply

I need to generate 6v DC and 90v DC from a 12v DC automotive electrical
system to power an RT-70A/GRC surplus military radio. I need about 250 mA
at +6 volts and about 75 mA at +90 volts. I was thinking about using the
guts from an old battery back up but it would be a bit of a kluge. Are
there any 90 volt regulators in the 78xx series? How do I get the voltage
up to where I can get something that I can get the 90 volts from. Getting
the 6 volts doesn't seem to be a problem. A 7806 off the battery should
work for that unless any of you can see a problem doing that. Maybe the
common common would be a problem. Right now I'm running it off of an HP6299A
and an HP6236B with commons jumpered. I'd like to be able to go portable
with it.

Old December 27th 05, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Joerg

Hello James,

I need to generate 6v DC and 90v DC from a 12v DC automotive electrical
system to power an RT-70A/GRC surplus military radio. I need about 250 mA
at +6 volts and about 75 mA at +90 volts. I was thinking about using the
guts from an old battery back up but it would be a bit of a kluge. Are
there any 90 volt regulators in the 78xx series? How do I get the voltage
up to where I can get something that I can get the 90 volts from. ...

You can build a step-up or flyback with the LM3478. Tough to solder
though, it's a TSSOP package. Don't know what current you need but just
pick a suitable FET.

For 6V I'd use a buck regulator instead of wasting 50% of the energy in
a series regulator.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Old December 27th 05, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Bill Turner

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 02:02:15 GMT, "James F. Mayer"
wrote:

I need to generate 6v DC and 90v DC from a 12v DC automotive electrical
system to power an RT-70A/GRC surplus military radio. I need about 250 mA
at +6 volts and about 75 mA at +90 volts. I was thinking about using the
guts from an old battery back up but it would be a bit of a kluge. Are
there any 90 volt regulators in the 78xx series? How do I get the voltage
up to where I can get something that I can get the 90 volts from. Getting
the 6 volts doesn't seem to be a problem. A 7806 off the battery should
work for that unless any of you can see a problem doing that. Maybe the
common common would be a problem. Right now I'm running it off of an HP6299A
and an HP6236B with commons jumpered. I'd like to be able to go portable
with it.

I'd use one of those small inexpensive inverters which put out 120vac
and then use a conventional transformer/rectifier system. You can pick
up the inverter at any truck stop.

73, Bill W6WRT
Old December 27th 05, 05:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Highland Ham

I'd use one of those small inexpensive inverters which put out 120vac
and then use a conventional transformer/rectifier system. You can pick
up the inverter at any truck stop.

============================
Those 'inexpensive inverters' might need some attention in respect of
the 'hash' they create , possibly causing interference in the receiver.

Frank
Old December 27th 05, 05:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Fred Bloggs

I need to generate 6v DC and 90v DC from a 12v DC automotive electrical
system [to power an RT-70A/GRC surplus military radio]. I need about 250 mA
at +6 volts and about 75 mA at +90 volts. [ I was thinking about using the
guts from an old battery back up but it would be a bit of a kluge.] Are
there any 90 volt regulators in the 78xx series? How do I get the voltage
up to where I can get something that I can get the 90 volts from. Getting
the 6 volts doesn't seem to be a problem. A 7806 off the battery should
work for that unless any of you can see a problem doing that. [ Maybe the
common common would be a problem. Right now I'm running it off of an HP6299A
and an HP6236B with commons jumpered. I'd like to be able to go portable
with it. ]

90V @70ma is only 6.3W and a step-up of no more than 90/12=7.5. This
would be something like a 24VAC center-tapped transformer turned
backwards with a multivibrator drive of the secondary at 50-60Hz and the
usual primary is rectified and capacitor filtered to produce the 90V.
Since the reflected current is only about 1/2A, you can then feedback
the rectified HV to drive an error amp that regulates the center tap
down to 9V or so.

Old December 27th 05, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
John Crighton

wrote:

I need to generate 6v DC and 90v DC from a 12v DC automotive electrical
system to power an RT-70A/GRC surplus military radio. I need about 250 mA
at +6 volts and about 75 mA at +90 volts. I was thinking about using the
guts from an old battery back up but it would be a bit of a kluge. Are
there any 90 volt regulators in the 78xx series? How do I get the voltage
up to where I can get something that I can get the 90 volts from. Getting
the 6 volts doesn't seem to be a problem. A 7806 off the battery should
work for that unless any of you can see a problem doing that. Maybe the
common common would be a problem. Right now I'm running it off of an HP6299A
and an HP6236B with commons jumpered. I'd like to be able to go portable
with it.

Hello James,
Speaking as a cheapskate ham/hobbyist, how
about salvaging parts from a computer power supply.
Find a dud power supply for free at computer
shops/dumpsters/rubbish tips/roadside etc.
Salvage the TL494 integrated circuit that can
be found in many computer power supplies.

You could build a 90 Volt power supply as
Ray Robinson has down here
http://www.shlrc.mq.edu.au/~robinson...verter_4W.html

Here is a link to the TL494 Data sheet
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl494.pdf

This link tells you how to use the TL494 IC
http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slva001d/slva001d.pdf

Use another TL494 in a buck converter for your
12 Volts to 6Volts power supply module.
Look at the bottom of this page for more info.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tl494.html
Your 7806 is probably a better idea, saves a lot
of messing about.
Or
you could use the guts of a mobile phone
car charger. The charger that fits into the
cigarette lighter in a motor car.
You can find them in pawn shops for a dollar
or two. Dud ones even cheaper. Usually
just a broken connection from rough handling.
http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MC34063A-D.PDF
Look at page 7 Figure 10 Step down converter.

In the few car phone chargers that I opened,
the IC was a MC34063 and the schematic was
very similar to that shown in figure 10
Just change R1 or R2 slightly so that you
get 6 Volts out.
You may have to check/change the value of
resistor Rsc to be closer to that shown in figure 10
You might even get away with not changing the
inductor. Try it and see if the original inductor
works well enough for you.

A ton of reading, bits and pieces for free
or dirt cheap.
What a great hobby, this is James, eh!

Regards,
John Crighton
Sydney
Old December 27th 05, 08:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
John Crighton

wrote:

I need to generate 6v DC and 90v DC from a 12v DC automotive electrical
system to power an RT-70A/GRC surplus military radio. I need about 250 mA
at +6 volts and about 75 mA at +90 volts. I was thinking about using the
guts from an old battery back up but it would be a bit of a kluge. Are
there any 90 volt regulators in the 78xx series? How do I get the voltage
up to where I can get something that I can get the 90 volts from. Getting
the 6 volts doesn't seem to be a problem. A 7806 off the battery should
work for that unless any of you can see a problem doing that. Maybe the
common common would be a problem. Right now I'm running it off of an HP6299A
and an HP6236B with commons jumpered. I'd like to be able to go portable
with it.

Hello again James,
I just came across this site while looking
for something else.

http://web.telia.com/~u85920178/use/tubepsu.htm
Look at the the 6V AC from 12 V DC. Nifty!

Here is another
http://www.i4at.org/lib2/inverter.htm
You want DC out so you will have to fit a bridge rectifier
and filter capacitors to the output of the transformer
just like Harry Lythall's circuit above.

Regards,
John Crighton
Sydney

Old December 27th 05, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Bill Turner

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:11:35 -0800, Highland Ham
wrote:

Those 'inexpensive inverters' might need some attention in respect of
the 'hash' they create , possibly causing interference in the receiver.

Frank

True for any kind of inverter.

73, Bill W6WRT
Old December 27th 05, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

I need to generate 6v DC and 90v DC from a 12v DC automotive electrical
system to power an RT-70A/GRC surplus military radio. I need about 250 mA
at +6 volts and about 75 mA at +90 volts. I was thinking about using the
guts from an old battery back up but it would be a bit of a kluge. Are
there any 90 volt regulators in the 78xx series? How do I get the voltage
up to where I can get something that I can get the 90 volts from. Getting
the 6 volts doesn't seem to be a problem. A 7806 off the battery should
work for that unless any of you can see a problem doing that. Maybe the
common common would be a problem. Right now I'm running it off of an HP6299A
and an HP6236B with commons jumpered. I'd like to be able to go portable
with it.

Google "GLOWBUGS" as there are a number of small tube based sites
that have dealt with this problem.

Allison
Spam/adverts severly not wanted.