Old January 27th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Emtech???

Hi all,

I got an Emtech antenna tuner kit for Christmas, but it's the BNC
version and my shack is normal SO whatevers. I emailed the company
weeks ago to ask how to exchange it, using the address on their
website, which is on their mailing label. I got no answer. So last week
I called. I got a generic phone company voice mail answer. ("You have
reached [number]. Leave a message after the tone.") I left a message
anyway. No answer to that either.

What's the deal with these people? And if they've folded their tent
(but not apparently their sales department) is it just a matter of
buying UHF connectors and swapping out the BNCs in the instructions?
(This is my first homebrew project.)

Thanks,

Rob, KB7PWJ

Old January 28th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Highland Ham

I got an Emtech antenna tuner kit for Christmas, but it's the BNC
version and my shack is normal SO whatevers.

=====================================
What's the problem ; just get a BNC to SO 239 adaptor or make a short lead
with the appropriate connectors.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old January 28th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Mike Young

"Highland Ham" wrote in message
I got an Emtech antenna tuner kit for Christmas, but it's the BNC
version and my shack is normal SO whatevers.

=====================================
What's the problem ; just get a BNC to SO 239 adaptor or make a short lead
with the appropriate connectors.

The problem is a couple of dB of loss on each side. Not everyone cares.

Old January 28th 06, 08:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Paul Keinanen

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 05:22:13 GMT, "Mike Young"
wrote:

"Highland Ham" wrote in message
I got an Emtech antenna tuner kit for Christmas, but it's the BNC
version and my shack is normal SO whatevers.

=====================================
What's the problem ; just get a BNC to SO 239 adaptor or make a short lead
with the appropriate connectors.

The problem is a couple of dB of loss on each side. Not everyone cares.

Connector losses are a serious issue in the GHz region, but since the
OP is talking about an antenna tuner, it appears that the usage is for
HF, this is not really an issue.

Extra connectors are a reliability issue on the long run, so replacing
the connectors on the tuner is a good idea if a thick coaxial cable is
to be used. For RG-58 the BNC is quite adequate.

Paul OH3LWR

Old January 28th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dale Parfitt

"Mike Young" wrote in message
om...
"Highland Ham" wrote in message
I got an Emtech antenna tuner kit for Christmas, but it's the BNC
version and my shack is normal SO whatevers.

=====================================
What's the problem ; just get a BNC to SO 239 adaptor or make a short
lead with the appropriate connectors.

The problem is a couple of dB of loss on each side. Not everyone cares.

I would be very interested in the measurements or documentation to support
the statement that the UHF--BNC adapter caues a couple of dB loss

Dale W4OP

Old January 29th 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Mike Young

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

"Mike Young" wrote in message
om...
"Highland Ham" wrote in message
I got an Emtech antenna tuner kit for Christmas, but it's the BNC
version and my shack is normal SO whatevers.
=====================================
What's the problem ; just get a BNC to SO 239 adaptor or make a short
lead with the appropriate connectors.

The problem is a couple of dB of loss on each side. Not everyone cares.

I would be very interested in the measurements or documentation to support
the statement that the UHF--BNC adapter caues a couple of dB loss

I have none. Just the shopkeeper who sold me my first rig said so. I'm sure
I can rig up some old crusty adapters to do so. All the same, I would
want to keep the adapters out for other reasons.

Old January 29th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
John L. Sielke

Mike Young wrote:
"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

"Mike Young" wrote in message
om...

"Highland Ham" wrote in message

I got an Emtech antenna tuner kit for Christmas, but it's the BNC
version and my shack is normal SO whatevers.

=====================================
What's the problem ; just get a BNC to SO 239 adaptor or make a
short lead with the appropriate connectors.

The problem is a couple of dB of loss on each side. Not everyone cares.

I would be very interested in the measurements or documentation to
support the statement that the UHF--BNC adapter caues a couple of dB
loss

I have none. Just the shopkeeper who sold me my first rig said so. I'm
sure I can rig up some old crusty adapters to do so. All the same, I
would want to keep the adapters out for other reasons.

If you had been required to pass a REAL technical exam to get your license, you
would know better.