Old March 11th 06, 05:43 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Plod's Conscience

Default The smallest Baird Televisor?

My local garage is selling laser devices that project
a straight line for just under a fiver. I wonder if these
devices (with the lens removed so that they just
produce a single spot) could be modulated to be
the light source in a Baird Televisor?

Also, I wonder what is the smallest such Televisor
that has been produced?

Old March 11th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Brian Reay

"Plod's Conscience" wrote in message
ups.com...
My local garage is selling laser devices that project
a straight line for just under a fiver. I wonder if these
devices (with the lens removed so that they just
produce a single spot) could be modulated to be
the light source in a Baird Televisor?

The Baird system has been superceded by more modern techniques. In fact,
unless you catch up quick, you may miss out a whole generation of technical
improvements that have occured since "Stookie"

Brian

Old March 11th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Samuel Hunt

No it won't

How will you bend the beam? Do you propose that people look straight at it?

You would need to get the beam just the right width.

Just face it beanie, you're an idiot, nobody likes you, you have no life and
you'd do us all a favour if you took an overdose of something fatal.....

Sam
M1FJB (Not scared to put my callsign to it for fear of being beaten up by
the police because unlike you I am not sad and don't have violent tendencies
towards the police)

Old March 11th 06, 06:17 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

on 11/03/2006 17:49 Brian Reay said the following:
"Plod's Conscience" wrote in message
ups.com...

My local garage is selling laser devices that project
a straight line for just under a fiver. I wonder if these
devices (with the lens removed so that they just
produce a single spot) could be modulated to be
the light source in a Baird Televisor?

The Baird system has been superceded by more modern techniques. In fact,
unless you catch up quick, you may miss out a whole generation of technical
improvements that have occured since "Stookie"

Brian

Don't disappoint him like that, Brian, the poor guy's only just
discovered electric lights, and he's certainly not the brightest bulb in
the box.
--
;-)
73 de Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI - mine's a pint.
Old March 11th 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Old Nicks Deputy \(first class\)

"Plod's Conscience" wrote in message
ups.com...
My local garage is selling laser devices that project
a straight line for just under a fiver.

I think your question should be "can anyone lend me a fiver"?

HTH

tox

Old March 11th 06, 08:11 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
The Magnum

"Old Nicks Deputy (first class)" trabant owners club@Nicks place.comco
wrote in message ...

"Plod's Conscience" wrote in message
ups.com...
My local garage is selling laser devices that project
a straight line for just under a fiver.

I think your question should be "can anyone lend me a fiver"?

HTH

tox

Why? has he been in the locals bins again and been unable to find one?

Graham
--
-.-. -... / .-. .- -.. .. ---

Radio is only a Hobby. Don't let it rule your life...

73/51 - Graham, 26-Golf Charlie-19

Old March 11th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
know code

wrote in message ...
"Plod's Conscience" wrote in message
ups.com...
My local garage is selling laser devices that project
a straight line for just under a fiver.

I think your question should be "can anyone lend me a fiver"?

HTH

tox

Why? has he been in the locals bins again and been unable to find one?

What is your fixation with bins? Now you're introducing them to this
thread as well! Do you get a sexual thrill from them or something?

Old March 11th 06, 09:58 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Bob Bob

I'll admit I dont know Baird and the Televisor stuff. (Beyond the
"father of TV "stuff) Lasers though are can be pulse width modulated
(PWM) to pseudo change the spot intensity. In a air comms environment
they are pulsed at some "carrier" frequency and data then sits on top of
that. At the RX end they have a filter at the "carrier" frequency so you
dont get noise etc from other light sources.

Making a picture? Had a brief think about bending light but that physics
is kind of missing in my brain! I think if you used a rotating mirror
array on two axis in front of the beam you might get something
acceptable, be a real cow to manufacture though. Syncing would be
reasonably easy (assuming a standard TV picture signal) but I think the
spot would be a bit large unless you wall projected it.

Colour wouldnt work BTW as the (laser) spot will be one freq only. This
means any filtering or coloured mirrors wont work.

Those laser pointers sound like a nice cheap way to experiment with some
short haul data comms as well.

Bob

Old March 12th 06, 01:21 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Butch Magee

Plod's Conscience wrote:
My local garage is selling laser devices that project
a straight line for just under a fiver. I wonder if these
devices (with the lens removed so that they just
produce a single spot) could be modulated to be
the light source in a Baird Televisor?

Also, I wonder what is the smallest such Televisor
that has been produced?

What a Televisor?
KF5DE
Old March 12th 06, 05:37 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Plod's Conscience

Default TIME TO RESIGN FROM THE RSCB? (Was : The smallest Baird Televisor?)

When directors of the RSCB sneer at attempts to promote
discussion, then perhaps it is time for all self-respecting
_REAL_ Radio Hams to resign en masse from the RSCB?

(Is Peter Kirby aware of the way in which his latest pet
lap-dog is pooing on the lounge carpet?)