Old March 16th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Joel

Default Crystal replacement

I have a couple 6 channel public service radios that are in the 155Mhz
range. Some are synthesized and require cutting diodes to change the
frequency and that works out well.
But some are crystal controlled and with the cost and availability of
crystals it's cost prohibitive to re-crystal these radios. It looks like
these crystals are in the X9 mode so that puts them in the 16-16.5 MHz
range. I am considering building a VCO to inject a signal into the old
crystal socket to get around the crystal issue. Actually I figure a PIC to
program the PLL would be great. I'm just not sure what frequency to inject
into the old crystal socket. Should I build a 16mhz VCO or some harmonic?
Will injecting a signal into a crystal-less oscillator even work? I'm going
to use a ADF4110 PLL and a 16F89 PIC. Any suggestions for the VCO? Schematic
for a 16 MHz VCO?

Joe Loucka AG4QC

Old March 17th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Richard Hosking

If its for commercial use it would probably be easiest just to get the
crystals.
Otherwise designing a PLL system is possible - particularly if you want
to learn about them for your own education. But the work involved is not
trivial - probably not worth it for a few old radios. The other issue
will be how the radio achieves FM - if it does it swinging the crystal,
then this will impose another restriction on the PLL. While it is
possible to do (keep loop filter BW below min audio freq) I tried doing
this on a 2M design once - couldnt get it stable. Some radios phase
modulate one of the multipliers, which would avoid this issue.

Old March 17th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Joel

The idea is we have a few dozen crystallized Maxon 4010's here and figured
we could get them converted to 2 meters to give to the new ham's in the
area. We would do the crystal route, but crystals seem to be in the $12.50
or more range (If you can even find them) That means it would be about 25
buck/channel. The price quickly makes conversion cost prohibitive compared
to a new 2 meter radio.

I reversed engineered the Maxon 3010 as they are synthesized and by cutting
diodes we have them working on 2 meters. Of course, having a schematic for
either radio would make things a lot easer.. (hint)..

Joe Loucka AG4QC

Joel wrote:
I have a couple 6 channel public service radios that are in the 155Mhz
range. Some are synthesized and require cutting diodes to change the
frequency and that works out well.
But some are crystal controlled and with the cost and availability of
crystals it's cost prohibitive to re-crystal these radios. It looks like
these crystals are in the X9 mode so that puts them in the 16-16.5 MHz
range. I am considering building a VCO to inject a signal into the old
crystal socket to get around the crystal issue. Actually I figure a PIC
to program the PLL would be great. I'm just not sure what frequency to
inject into the old crystal socket. Should I build a 16mhz VCO or some
harmonic? Will injecting a signal into a crystal-less oscillator even
work? I'm going to use a ADF4110 PLL and a 16F89 PIC. Any suggestions
for the VCO? Schematic for a 16 MHz VCO?

Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old March 17th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Scott

Here's another idea...instead of making these radios to hand out to new
hams, maybe you could remove the transmit crystal and just replace the
receive crystal, lowering the conversion cost. You could hand these out
to NON-HAMS so they could listen in on the local repeater or simplex
channel. Maybe they would be interested in becoming hams. 2M HTs are
so cheap these days, just about any new ham can afford one with a lot of
bells and whistles built in.

Scott
N0EDV

Old March 17th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Joel

Scott,
I hear your point.. These are not HT's but 40 watt mobiles. I understand
how cheap HT's are and that's why I can't see spending much resources on the
conversion. But I'm always looking for new uses to implement PIC chips and
interfacing one to a synthesizer seemed like an inexpensive idea. PIC and
synthesizer cost together is barely 12 bucks.

Joe Loucka AG4QC

Old March 18th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Scott

Oh, oops...didn't realize they were a mobile rig! I would think you
might be able to find a suitable schematic for the PLL circuitry by
looking at the data sheets for some of the PLL ICs...such as...

http://www.jameco.com/wcsstore/Jamec.../246713MOT.pdf

Have you investigated using a DDS (Direct Digital Synthesizer) with a
PIC to control it?

Scott

Joel wrote:

[...]

FYI - positive crystal vendor experience "plug" Paul P Boatanchors 4 March 8th 06 01:15 PM
Crystal VCO Apparatus Homebrew 10 November 30th 05 10:22 PM
Pulling crystal Apparatus Homebrew 6 November 6th 05 08:19 AM
Drake TR-3 transceiver synthesizer upgrade Gene Gardner Homebrew 2 January 15th 04 02:17 AM
Drake TR-3 transceiver synthesizer upgrade Gene Gardner Homebrew 0 January 13th 04 05:28 PM