Old April 15th 16, 08:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default NZART Headquarters Infoline 335

Editor: - Denis Coulter ZL3DEN

NZART Website:
www.nzart.org.nz

-------

Issue 335
Date 15/04/2016

-------

In this Issue:

Press release from IARU

Diploma Commemorative of the 90th anniversary of REP

The International Vacuum Tube Museum

Official Broadcast

Off Shore News Links

NZART Housekeeping

-------

Press Release

For Immediate Distribution
April 11, 2016

The International Amateur Radio Union is pleased to announce that Hans
Blondeel Timmerman, PB2T, is appointed to serve as IARU Satellite
Adviser. The appointment is effective immediately. Blondeel Timmerman
was first licensed in 1980 and has served as VERON HF Manager from
2000-2001 and as VERON Vice President from 2001-2008. He was a member
of the IARU Region 1 Executive Committee from 2002-2008 and served as
IARU Region 1 President from 2008-2014. Blondeel Timmerman has served
as EUDXF President since 2004 and currently serves as a YASME Foundation
Director. He is retired from the Netherlands Army Signal Corps after a
38 year career working on satellite projects and spectrum management.
He lives in the Netherlands with his wife Margareet, K2XYL and has 2
adult sons.

The IARU Satellite Advisor represents the IARU to the satellite
community and the various amateur satellite organizations and performs
satellite frequency coordination according to the guidelines established
by the IARU. In addition, the position calls for maintaining a database
of coordination requests and letters, report to the IARU Administrative
Council on issues related to satellites and satellite frequency
coordination and, if requested, to provide technical and operation
advice to assist the representation of the amateur satellite service to
the International Telecommunication Union. The Satellite Advisor is
assisted by a panel of volunteer satellite advisory members.

Blondeel Timmerman replaces Hans van de Groenendaal, ZS6AKV, who has
served as IARU Satellite Advisor since 1994. Van de Groenendaal has
established many of the procedures used for amateur satellite frequency
coordination and has been a critical contributor to the process of
satellite frequency coordination for IARU. The IARU is grateful for
Hans van de Groenendaal’s excellent work and thanks him for his
years of service in this important position. He will remain as special
advisor to the satellite committee.

Any additional information can be obtained from the International
Amateur Radio Union, PO Box 310905, Newington, CT 06131-0905 USA Phone
+1 860 594 0200, Fax +1 860 594 0259.

-------

Diploma Commemorative of the 90th anniversary of REP

Awards will be issued by the Rede dos Emissores Portugueses (REP) to
amateurs proving to have made QSOs with at least 90 different Portuguese
stations (Portugal, Azores and Madeira) from April 1st, 2016 to December
31st, 2016.

QSOs are valid in any mode and any authorized band for the amateur
service.
The award, issued in electronic format, will have to be requested by
candidate's email do .

73 e Obrigado , Carlos Nora - CT1END
NNN

-------

3. I am writing to you because I believe you share my belief that
amateur radio plays important and critical roles in human society
worldwide.

I am requesting your partnership with my efforts for the International
Vacuum Tube Museum. I am asking all national amateur radio societies
worldwide to partner with us. I am asking all national amateur radio
societies worldwide to ask all amateur radio operators to contribute to
the Museum.

As you know, vacuum tubes are the basis of radio and all electronics,
and the history of vacuum tubes goes back several hundred years. Some
years ago, I was shocked to discover that there was not a single formal
museum dedicated to vacuum tubes!

I have committed to ‘fill that vacuum’ with the
International Vacuum Tube Museum. While there are many collectors and a
few organizations with some displays and websites with vacuum tubes, the
Museum is the only formal museum organization worldwide that is
dedicated solely to vacuum tubes. The Museum is an independent
registered nonprofit and does not receive government funding, instead
depending on the patronage of Members and donations.

Amateur radio would not exist without vacuum tubes. I am counting on
hams and ham organizations to help assemble the complete history of tube
radio and gear. This includes the critical goals of displaying all
amateur radios and equipment with tubes, and building the library of
every publication referencing every tube-based radio and gear. The
Museum will coordinate its displays and library with all other
organizations’ displays and libraries to achieve these goals,
and create a universal portal to access all data on all tubes, radios,
ham gear, test equipment, etc., including solid-state gear, much of
which is interactive with tube gear.

This massive task will only be possible with the help of hams, the
largest group of communications and electronics people worldwide. To
make this happen, the Museum is partnering with amateur radio
organizations around the world to showcase amateur radio and tubes for
its importance, its rich history, its rich future, its technology
innovations from spark gap to satellite.

This is a true partnership, with the Museum helping hams & ham clubs, in
return for their help. We researched amateur radio worldwide over
several years, specifically looking for ways to work together with hams
and amateur radio organizations, for ideas where everyone benefits.
Amateur radio and the Museum have many compelling mutual interests:

· to further radio science and knowledge

· to advance the growth of the amateur radio service

· to teach the public about radio

· to preserve radio history

· to promote good will through radio

· to live up to the ideals of the amateur service

· to help everyone learn about radio communications

· to provide technical advice and assistance

· to safeguard the success of radio worldwide

And here are just some of the questions from our amateur radio research:

· Do high shipping and packaging costs make it difficult to
ship ham gear?

· What do hams do with their used tubes?

· Can hams educate, teach, lecture, demonstrate, or help
others learn about radio?

· Do all ham clubs have historians?

· Do ham clubs historians need help?

· How does a ham club start a club history program?

· Do ham club Board members and officers need help managing
or administrating their club?

· Do ham clubs need help with their newsletters, websites
or email systems?

· How do ham clubs help support the families of silent
keys?

· What kind of help do ham clubs need to raise funds for
special projects, equipment or facilities?

· How many club members repair or restore radios or gear?

· How many club members want to build more kits or more
homebrew?

· How do club members share their life stories?

Based on all this research, the Museum created a number of projects and
programs to work together with the entire amateur radio community
worldwide, especially including helping hams and ham clubs:

· Programs to help with the big problem of high shipping
and packaging costs

· The first comprehensive, complete, and accurate knowledge
database of radios, tubes and the gear that use tubes

· Artists and Experimenters Programs

· Used Tubes Programs

· Programs for Ham Teachers, Lecturers, Demonstrators,
Field Trip Leaders

· Ham Conventions Programs

· Ham Clubs Websites Tools

· Ham Clubs History Program and Tools for Club Historians

· Ham Clubs Planning Tools

· Ham Clubs Forums & Newsletters Tools

· Ham Clubs Administration Support

· Silent Key Registry™

· Repair & Restoration Experts Database

· Kits & Homebrew Program

These are just some of the ideas. Tell us what your organization most
needs. Tell us what your members most need. We will work with you and
your members to coordinate ideas, build appropriate programs and tools,
and help in every way we can.

Please review our website, especially the Amateur Radio section. Please
review our new magazine Filling the Vacuum for free. Join the Amateur
Radio Committee and help manage and oversee all the amateur radio
programs. Ask us any question.

Send this email and these website and magazine links to your members.
Ask them to give us their feedback and their ideas, and to look at all
the ways they can help the Museum, and help the Museum help hams and ham
clubs in return.

Hams and ham clubs working together with the International Vacuum Tube
Museum can permanently establish the long-term success of the only
formal vacuum tube museum organization worldwide. Come help us collect,
study, educate, exhibit, research, conserve, interpret, preserve and
document vacuum tubes and vacuum tube artifacts, including radio
transmitters, receivers, stations, "From Spark to Satellite."

I am asking all national amateur radio societies worldwide to ask all
amateur radio operators to contribute to the Museum. If each ham
contributes $10 or more, the Museum will reach our 2016 endowment fund
goal. Even a contribution of only $1 from each ham will allow us to
offer better and more programs to hams, ham organizations, and the
public. And I am asking every ham to contribute books, manuals,
specifications, brochures… any and every document relating to
tubes, radios, ham gear, etc., either by uploading at the Contribute to
History link or by mailing to our mailing address:

International Vacuum Tube Museum
8547 East Arapahoe Road Suite J-200
Greenwood Village CO 80112

Together, we can show the world that vacuum tubes are the foundation for
all electronics in the modern age… computers, radios,
televisions, radar, telephones, microwaves, MRI and x-ray machines,
guitar amplifiers, audio equipment… all electronics devices.

Let’s make new radio and tube history.

Charles Francis Bacon, Keeper of the Vision

International Vacuum Tube Museum

www.vacuumtubemuseum.org

-------

Official Broadcast

The Official Broadcast is made on the last Sunday of each month except:

December when the Broadcast is made on the Sunday before Christmas.

January when there is no broadcast

The broadcast is made on 3900 kHz, and on the National System and local
VHF repeaters.
The broadcast is made at 2000 hours (8:00 pm), with a repeat at 2100
hours (9:00 pm).
Members and Branches are welcome to submit material for inclusion in the
Broadcast to the e-mail or postal address shown below.

ZL2BHF
NZART Headquarters
P O Box 40-525
UPPER HUTT 5140
E-mail
73
Jim ZL2BHF

-------

Off Shore News Links

ARRL News & Features

RSGB News

IARU Region 3

-------

NZART Housekeeping

Next HQ-Infoline:- Friday 29/04/2016. Closing date is Wednesday
27/04/2016.

-------

Subscribe TO/FROM Infoline

You have received this message because you are subscribed on an NZART
Infoline list.

If you wish to be removed from this list, please visit:

http://www.nzart.org.nz/join/e-mail-...infoline-list/

END OF INFOLINE 331