Old June 11th 16, 11:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default eHam.net News for Saturday 11 June 2016

eHam.net News

Ham Radio Buffs Have Stories to Tell:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36946

I used to think ham was just a tasty treat during the holidays \& but then
I became one. Let me explain. The term "ham" is the title given of amateur
radio operators. The Federal Radio Act of 1912 tempered the mania of this
new technology that had gripped thousands by requiring the licensing of the
radio operators and stations. What has transpired over the decades is a
culture of service, belonging and love of this hobby for well over 700,000
in the U.S. alone. Each June, thousands attend the Northwest's largest
convention of these "hams" in Seaside, known as Sea-Pac. In times of
disaster, when your cellphones and land lines fail, you can rest assured
that these radio geeks will be there to support and communicate wherever
their signals can reach. While conventions have their share of lectures and
the mandatory swap meet of all things radio, what I found most appealing
were the stories of what these hams are capable of.

Radio Hams Ready for Big Field Day:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36945

Members of the Ventura County Amateur Radio Society and the Simi Settlers
Radio Club will take part in a national Amateur Radio Field Day exercise
from 11 a.m. Sat., June 25 for 24 hours straight through 11 a.m. Sun., June
26 at the Reagan Library, 40 Presidential Drive, Simi Valley. Library hours
are from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days. Since 1933, ham radio operators
across North America have established temporary ham radio stations in
public locations during Field Day to showcase the science and skill of
amateur radio. Amateur radio, sometimes called ham radio, has allowed
people from all walks of life to experiment with electronics and
communications techniques. Many amateur radio operators also provide a free
public service to their communities during times of disaster. Operators are
able to relay public safety and emergency messages independent of
telephone, cellphone and Internet networks. Field Day demonstrates ham
radio's ability to work reliably under any conditions from almost any
location and create an independent communications network.

Man Falls from Radio Tower in Radcliff:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36944

Emergency officials in Radcliff responded to an injury this morning when a
man working on a privately owned ham radio tower fell about 30 feet near
Sycamore Drive. Radcliff Police Chief Jeff Cross said the man appeared to
be in his 40s.

Propagation Forecast Bulletin #24 de K7RA:

http://www.eham.net/articles/36943

I thought it was too early in the decline of this solar cycle to
start seeing days with no sunspots (when the sunspot number is zero)
but I was wrong. There were no sunspots on June 3 to 6. 2015 had zero
spotless days,
2014 had just one, and there were no spotless days in 2012 and 2013.
There were just two spotless days in 2011, so we have already seen
twice the number of spotless days that 2011 had. 2010 had 51
spotless days, and 2009 had 260 spotless days. The last time there were
four or more spotless days was December 18
to 24, 2010 when there were no sunspots for an entire week.