Old October 3rd 17, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default RadioInsight for Tuesday 3 October 2017

RadioInsight

Greater Baton Rouge Business Report: Walton and Johnson, Guaranty
Broadcasting settle breach of contract lawsuit

https://www.businessreport.com/artic...ntract-lawsuit

From RadioInsight

The post Greater Baton Rouge Business Report: Walton and Johnson, Guaranty
Broadcasting settle breach of contract lawsuit appeared first on
RadioInsight.

Cindy Brings Soft Hits To Albuquerque

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/12...s-albuquerque/

From RadioInsight

As La Jefa moved to American General Medias 840 KARS/102.9 K275AO last
month, Vanguard Media (now doing business as Radio Center of New Mexico)
has launched Soft AC Cindy 101.3 on KJFA-FM Albuquerque.

The station is marketing itself as Soft rock hits from the 1980s to today
with core artists including Phil Collins, Journey, Madonna, Pink, Sheryl
Crow, Jewel, Adele, Hall Oates, Selena, Starship, and REO Speedwagon.
Cindy is presented as the host of the station and an Albuquerque native.

The new format gives an AC competitor to Cumulus 99.5 Magic-FM KMGA, which
ranked fifth in the Albuquerque market with a 3.6 share in the Spring 2017
Nielsen Audio ratings.

The post Cindy Brings Soft Hits To Albuquerque appeared first on
RadioInsight.

Two Song Mysteries Down, One To Go

http://radioinsight.com/blogs/ross-o...teries-one-go/

From RadioInsight

Of the three outstanding song mysteries featured in last week’s Ross On
Radio column,**I had thought that two of them might remain unanswered
forever. Instead, the first song was figured out within minutes; the next
one within a day. (A fourth mystery in the column was presented to you
already solved.) That leaves just one, from a Ross On Radio reader, that I
hope we’ll figure out this week.
If you scroll down to the comments in last week’s column, you can see the
two correct guesses. But here’s a summation of the two songs we’ve figured
out, and the one we’re still waiting on.
Mystery No. 1: The Illusion, “Together”
This was the one I didn’t expect to get. I was open to the possibility that
it might not have been an actual song. Instead, this mystery was solved
almost immediately.
These were the clues:

Late-‘60s style sunshine pop with an ethereal feel
Heard in summer 1976 on automated Top 40 WAQY (Wacky 102) Springfield, Mass.
The repeated word (and seeming title) “together.”
So unlike the other hit music of the time that I was expecting to find out
that it was a TM custom song jingle.

WOFX (the Fox) Cincinnati PD Marty Bender thought it might be “Lorelei” by
Styx,*with its refrain of “Lorelei, let’s live together.” I didn’t know
that song in 1976, but I’ve heard it many times since, and would have had
to really mis-remember the song I was looking for.
WAKS Cleveland APD Java Joel did a search for “together, together” and
“sunshine pop” and came up with “What A Day” by Euphoria.*It was certainly
the right feel and tempo, and if I didn’t already have a winner, I would
have thought that might be it.
Two different people raised the possibility that it might have been the
Fifth Dimension’s 1972 “Living Together, Growing Together,” a decent sized
hit at the time that might have still been in a gold library four years
later.
But it was the Illusion, the progressive rock band with bubble-gummy
underpinnings from producer Jeff Barry, a year after their better-known
“Did You See Her Eyes.” *Once I knew my mystery song was their 1970 #80
charter “Together,” I found out that it had been top 5 in Hartford and at
least top 20 in Springfield. So it was an odd thing to hear on the radio in
1976, but not an entirely random one.
Rich Appel, who made an appearance in my first column on song mysteries,
chimed in within minutes. Rich knows a lot of songs, but in this case, it
was because Connecticut radio veteran Bob Radil had played it on his Friday
night online oldies show. Another personal friend, Dan O’Neil, chimed in
with the same answer a few minutes later.
I recognized “Together” as the correct song immediately. And here’s the
weird part. I didn’t know “Did You See Her Eyes” as a current, but once I
discovered it—at least a few years after 1976—I bought a bunch of other
singles by the Illusion, none of which made as much of an impression. I can
picture the label of the “Together” single. So did I see it repeatedly in
the collectors’ bins and not buy it? Did I buy it and never get around to
listening? The mysteries of half-remembered songs are the mysteries of the
brain. And I must have come close to solving this one many years ago.
Mystery No. 2, “The Psychoanalyst” by Ace Diamond*
These were the clues:

A late ‘60s/early ‘70s novelty song (and Irish jig) about psychiatry
On a plain orange label with no mention of a record company
I remembered one side as “The Analyst” and the other as “The
Psychotherapist” (or the psycho-something)
By Ace somebody, and there was a joke within the name somehow

The first response from a reader was “good luck finding that one.” But I
went back to the comments the next day and Radioinsight board member
“Rickb” had written, “Tell your friend that the record was ‘The
Psychoanalyst’ b/w ‘The Patient’ by Ace Diamond.” (Because I was asking
about “The Psychoanalyst” for, you know, a friend.)
The commenter linked to a year-old discussion at 45cat.com, where I had
unsuccessfully searched for “The Analyst” before. That person had found the
song in a D.C. thrift store many years earlier; he knew what it was, he was
just equally mystified. I thought I had found the song in New York, but
having grown up in D.C., I’m now guessing that I discovered it there.
Perhaps some record store or distributor had dispersed an unwanted box of
them throughout the area.
I’d thought that as an adult, I might finally get the jokes in “The
Psychoanalyst,” but it’s largely incomprehensible at any age. Even once I
made out most of the lyrics after a few listens, it was literally
psychobabble. (Although, technically this, is literally “Psychobabble.”)
But it did make me smile (briefly) to hear it again.
Mystery No. 3: Still Up For Grabs
This one came to me from New York radio veteran Anita Bonita, who heard it
in February 2015, while on the job for MediaMonitors and listening to Urban
AC WSRB (Soul 106.3) Chicago, which was unable to identify it either. (Of
course, compared to how long some people have been carrying their mystery
songs around, 2-1/2 years is nothing.)
The clues we

The hook, “make my day”
But not the 1980s R&B hit with that title by Lakeside. (Or the 1970s UK hit
by Labi Siffre)
Quirky, midtempo, male R&B which could have been from the mid-to-late ‘80s
or, as easily, retro-soul from anytime in the last decade
Sounded a little like Ray Parker, Jr.
It talks about listening to the radio in the morning, making me wonder
(again) if it’s a personality’s custom jingle or show intro—one reason
there would be no footprint in Mediabase or any of the music recognition
apps

There haven’t been a lot guesses on this one. That may be in part because I
didn’t make it apparent enough that Bonita had posted a link to the audio.
So here it is. *

The post Two Song Mysteries Down, One To Go appeared first on RadioInsight.

Bob Lays Off The Boss In Springfield IL

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/12...pringfield-il/

From RadioInsight

Neuhoff Media Classic Rock Boss 96.7 WCVS-FM Virden/Springfield IL flipped
on Monday to Variety Hits 96.7 Bob-FM.

Utilizing the syndicated network distributed by Kroeger Media and Envision
Networks, the move shifts WCVS away from a direct battle with Saga Classic
Rock 100.5 WYMG and closer to their Classic Hits Cool 93.9 WQQL. The market
had been without a Variety Hits outlet since Saga flipped 101.1 W266BZ from
Abe-FM to Classic Country in January 2016.

The entire WCVS airstaff is out with the change as is the syndicated Bob
Tom show. This is the second format change at Neuhoff Springfield this year
following CHR 99.7 Kiss-FM WXAJ becoming Hot AC 99.7 The Mix in March.

Envision Networks® and Kroeger Media Inc. are excited to welcome Neuhoff
Broadcasting Corporation’s WCVS-FM/Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, IL as the
latest station to join the BOB FM™ family. With the launch of 96.7 BOB FM,
the station joins over 125 affiliates on the Envision 24/7 Network.

“We shopped around for the best Adult Hits Format for WCVS,” said Mike
Shamus, Vice President of Programming for Neuhoff Media. “It became very
clear that working with Envision Networks® BOB-FM was going to be the
easiest to use, the best branding and overall the best product out there.
The whole team has been great to work with every step of the way. We are
excited to bring “BOB” to Springfield.”

You may know BOB FM™ as the original template from which the entire “name”
formats originated including BOB’s little brothers HANK FM® and DUKE FM®,
the country variety-based format that is also syndicated by Envision Radio
Networks®. BOB FM™ was the first Variety/Adult Hits based format of its
kind to launch in North America.

With a song library consisting of over 1100 titles that is made up of rock,
pop and adult contemporary music, BOB’s unique mix is best described as one
big mix tape for adult listeners who are too young to be considered
full-fledged baby boomers and too old to be considered as part of
generation X. Beyond the music, the BOB FM™ brand is known for its out of
the box presentation where the station becomes a personality and listeners
are on a first name basis with their favorite radio station.

BOB FM™ offers three levels of programming service for both cash and barter
and accommodates stations that are looking for a complete turnkey, 24/7
solution.

The best way to get to know BOB FM™ is to listen for yourself! Stream the
BOB FM™ demo he www.BOBFormat.com. Stations interested in the BOB FM™
format can contact Amber Wade at 216-831-3761 or
for more details.

The post Bob Lays Off The Boss In Springfield IL appeared first on
RadioInsight.

Tim Hill Rises To WNKT Program Director

http://radioinsight.com/headlines/12...gram-director/

From RadioInsight

Cumulus Sports 107.5 The Game WNKT Eastover/Columbia SC has promoted
morning host Tim Hill to Program Director.

Hill joined WNKT in 2016 as midday host and quickly moved to mornings with
Bill Gunter. He spent 13 years as sports anchor for WOLO-TV in the market
and had also hosted a show on iHeartMedias 1400 The Team WCOS from
2006-2008 with now SportsCenter anchor Matt Barrie.

Cumulus Media announces it has promoted sportscaster Tim Hill to Program
Director for sports radio station 107.5 The Game (WNKT-FM) in Columbia, SC.
Hill joined WNKT last year and continues in his role as Host of The Early
Game morning show, which airs weekdays from 6am-9am on 107.5 The Game.
Hill’s career spans over 20 years in sports broadcasting, including over 13
years heading sports coverage for ABC affiliate WOLO-TV in Columbia, SC.

Rick Prusator, Vice President/Market Manager, Cumulus Media-Columbia, said:
Tim has shown what experience, enthusiasm and passion can add to not only
The Early Game morning show but how the entire radio station and Cumulus
cluster in Columbia has benefited from Tim Hill being here in the past
year.”

Brent Johnson, Operations Manager, Cumulus Media-Columbia, said:*I am a big
Tim Hill fan, dating back to when he was Sports Director for a Columbia TV
station. Since coming on board, he has really grown his morning show with
Bill Gunter.*He has such a huge knowledge of the South Carolina sports
scene and so many great ideas.

Hill said: I am having a blast doing the morning show on 107.5 The Game and
look forward to helping the station grow however I can.*Cumulus is a great
company to work for, and I hope to add to a culture that already aspires to
be the best.

The post Tim Hill Rises To WNKT Program Director appeared first on
RadioInsight.