Old March 22nd 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Ladder line routing

The XYL has expressed her dismay at my ladder line coming down over the
roof the way it does. I plan on rerouting it this spring.

I plan on routing the line along the roofline, then run it to and below
the soffit. Then into the usual entrance.

What is a good holder for the ladder line - basic windowed plastic variety?

But my biggest concern is that metal soffit. I'll be running along
about 20 feet of that, and I suspect that there will be some effect.
What is a safe distance from the soffit?

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 23rd 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Michael Coslo" wrote

I plan on routing the line along the roofline, then run it to and below
the soffit. Then into the usual entrance.

What is a good holder for the ladder line - basic windowed plastic
variety?

I used a standard screw-in TV-line standoff. In some places in the route, I
just hung it with string.

But my biggest concern is that metal soffit. I'll be running along about
20 feet of that, and I suspect that there will be some effect. What is a
safe distance from the soffit?

I'd guess 4 - 5 inches should be fine. I ran both 300 and 450 ohm plastic
"ladder" line at my old townhouse, and had no trouble using the above
methods. I even ran the line through a frame/stucco/chickenwire house wall,
via a 2" diameter PVC pipe, with good success.

Howard N7SO

Old March 23rd 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Michael Coslo wrote:
The XYL has expressed her dismay at my ladder line coming down over the
roof the way it does. I plan on rerouting it this spring.

I plan on routing the line along the roofline, then run it to and
below the soffit. Then into the usual entrance.

What is a good holder for the ladder line - basic windowed plastic
variety?

But my biggest concern is that metal soffit. I'll be running along
about 20 feet of that, and I suspect that there will be some effect.
What is a safe distance from the soffit?

Mike,

If you're using ladder line on 160, 80, or 40, I recommend you just
substitute coax. Assuming a reasonably cut antenna, the loses aren't
high enough to hastle with the extra mounting stand-offs ladder-line
requires.

Alternatively, you could drop the ladder-line directly from the antenna
to a 4-to-1 or 6-to-1 balun, and use coax from there. I've seen both
approaches used with good results.

W1AC

--
73,

Bill W1AC

(Remove "73" and change top level domain for direct replies)

Old March 25th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
ml ml is offline

In article ,
Michael Coslo wrote:

The XYL has expressed her dismay at my ladder line coming down over the
roof the way it does. I plan on rerouting it this spring.

I plan on routing the line along the roofline, then run it to and
below
the soffit. Then into the usual entrance.

What is a good holder for the ladder line - basic windowed plastic
variety?

But my biggest concern is that metal soffit. I'll be running along
about 20 feet of that, and I suspect that there will be some effect.
What is a safe distance from the soffit?

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

google electric fence post standoff's and farm insulators

they have all sorts of really nice plastic standoffs that can work very
well with ladder line and all different sizes

I got a bag of black 5" (just what i needed) musta been 20 of them for
5dollars i drilled a tiney extra hole on the bottom to pass a tie
wrap viola!

hope this helps

ladder line?? W3CQH Antenna 5 June 11th 08 02:15 AM
Using Twin Lead or Ladder Line for your Antenna's Feed-in-Line ? - Then 'consider' a Pair of Vintage Style TV Antenna Clips . . . RHF Shortwave 11 December 29th 05 04:05 AM
Using 450ohm ladder line Giovanni Antenna 2 August 19th 05 03:22 PM
Feed Line Length - Ladder Line Pat Whelton Antenna 10 July 7th 05 12:54 AM