Old April 23rd 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

"Michael Coslo" wrote:

I don't think that we have become more greedy or self serving over the
years. I'm more inclined to think a nostalgia effect is at work.

Perhaps. However, as a youth I can recall numerous stories of how Joe Smith
was a chemical engineer at some company, and invented Substance X in his
garage while piddling around at home.

It is often said that the best job you can have is one that is also a hobby.
If ham radio is your hobby, and you work as an electrical engineer by day,
can you really "invent" something for ham radio that your employer wouldn't
have some type of claim against?

In my field, I find many people writing and giving away software. I think
how much altruism exists depends on a person's outlook.

What real altruism exists in software short of Linux-based products?

Granted, there is a large amount of 'shareware' out there, but a sizeable
percentage of it is simply crippleware designed to get you to upgrade to the
'commercial' version.

What do you base the thesis of declining popularity on?

Licensed amateurs as a whole in the US has been declining for 3+ years now.
The rate of growth in Japanese amateurs has been anemic, under 1%, for the
past 5+ years.
UK licenses remain fairly consistent with their peak numbers 12 years ago,
although short-term trends do see an increase.
Australian licensees have been a 10+% dropoff over the past decade.

All of these observations support a generic claim that interest in ham radio
is lessening.

Old April 24th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 23, 10:41?am, "KH6HZ" wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote:

In my field, I find many people writing and giving away software. I think
how much altruism exists depends on a person's outlook.

What real altruism exists in software short of Linux-based products?

Granted, there is a large amount of 'shareware' out there, but a sizeable
percentage of it is simply crippleware designed to get you to upgrade to the
'commercial' version.

Go to Linear Technology (the semiconductor company). They
will let anyone download LTSpice, a fully functional, operating
SPICE suite, complete with component library and schematic
drawing function that will automatically create a SPICE netlist.
The manual for it is a separate download, also free to anyone.
Not shareware, not some "crippleware designed to make one
upgrade." A fully working SPICE program, for nothing. Ideal
for amateur radio homebrew projects to check out any
circuit before building it in hardware. LTSpice has been out
for about a year, already has some hobby groups talking
about it, using it, with tips on how to use it for unusual
circuits and applications.

Licensed amateurs as a whole in the US has been declining for 3+ years now.

Not really any big decline. Newcomers (never before licensed)
are filling in the gaps left by expirations. Check it out on
www.hamdata.com, right on the home page.

All of these observations support a generic claim that interest in ham radio
is lessening.

The drop of Ham Radio, 73 magazines happened in between
1990 and about 2003 due to lack of advertising space sales,
particularly among the "Big3" (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood). Folks
tend to ignore those same Big3 are also engaged in making
radios for businesses and governments. They probably make
more money in that market than in the amateur radio field.

However, in the periodicals that survive there continue to be
new ham radio models being made and advertised, certain
models promoted with extras (such as Icom). Antenna
makers are still "up" and so are the hundreds of smaller
businesses selling peripheral equipment and add-ons. I'd
say that the interest in amateur radio is increasing, not the
opposite.

There might even be a trend towards more newcomers
entering than ever before, some hints of that already shown
in numbers on www.hamdata.com.

73, Len AF6AY

Old April 25th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

AF6AY wrote:
On Apr 23, 10:41?am, "KH6HZ" wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote:

[...]

On my computers, I use the OpenOffice Suite (mostly WP and their
spreadsheet)

I use Digipan and a whole host of other Ham radio software.

Let's not forget N1MM contest logger.

A number of people produce software for the PAQSO party.

All these things share one thing in common. They are free for the download.

Even programs such as EZNEC, while charging for the full version, have
a perfectly functional demo version with the biggest limitation being
the number of "elements" you can use in it.

If that isn't enough, then 4NEC2 is free.

Altruism does indeed exist.

Licensed amateurs as a whole in the US has been declining for 3+ years now.

Not really any big decline. Newcomers (never before licensed)
are filling in the gaps left by expirations. Check it out on
www.hamdata.com, right on the home page.

The "big drop-off" is largely being replaced. While we can discuss the
reason that it happened - it did happen. I suspect that we will get to
that earlier level at some point.

Perhaps the old Tech license was a bit of a dead end?

All of these observations support a generic claim that interest in ham radio
is lessening.

The drop of Ham Radio, 73 magazines happened in between
1990 and about 2003 due to lack of advertising space sales,
particularly among the "Big3" (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood). Folks
tend to ignore those same Big3 are also engaged in making
radios for businesses and governments. They probably make
more money in that market than in the amateur radio field.

However, in the periodicals that survive there continue to be
new ham radio models being made and advertised, certain
models promoted with extras (such as Icom). Antenna
makers are still "up" and so are the hundreds of smaller
businesses selling peripheral equipment and add-ons. I'd
say that the interest in amateur radio is increasing, not the
opposite.

Agreed. Certainly it is in my area. There are some who would dispute
the success we are having in our area (we are running at a 2+ percent
increase after factoring in attrition for well over a year now) as a
fluke. I might respectfully suggest a new approach. 8^)

There might even be a trend towards more newcomers
entering than ever before, some hints of that already shown
in numbers on www.hamdata.com.

The new hams in our area are good people, and are becoming active and
well mannered hams.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 26th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 10, 2:22 am, "Dee Flint" wrote:

Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

I may have to concede that point, Dee.

Here is a recent quote ( http://tinyurl.com/29e856 ) by the CEO of
Radio Shack.

He said: "Even the name 'RadioShack'-can you imagine two less
appealing words placed next to one another?" Day said. "What is that,
some kind of World War II terminology? Are ham radio operators still
around, even? Aren't we in the digital age?"

Yes, from the CEO of Radio Shack!

Oh, well!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 26th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 25, 9:35�am, Michael Coslo wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Apr 23, 10:41?am, "KH6HZ" wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote:

[...]

Reg Edwards' (G4FGQ) whole selection of design software

G4FON's Morse Code learning software, to name just one of many

Older versions of Spectrogram, an audio spectrum analyzer software
with many uses in the ham shack.

Several free online Amateur Radio practice test websites

All these things share one thing in common. They
are free for the download.

Even programs such as EZNEC, while charging for the full

version, have
a perfectly functional demo version with the biggest limitation being
the number of "elements" you can use in it.

If that isn't enough, then 4NEC2 is free.

Altruism does indeed exist.

Licensed amateurs as a whole in the US has been declining for 3+ years

now.

Not really any big decline. Newcomers (never before licensed)
are filling in the gaps left by expirations. Check it out on
www.hamdata.com, right on the home page.

The "big drop-off" is largely being replaced. While we ca

n discuss the
reason that it happened - it did happen. I suspect that we will get to
that earlier level at some point.

One factor I have not seem mentioned recently is the effect of rules
changes other than license test requirements on the number of hams.

For example, in the USA, the license term was doubled from 5 to 10
years back in 1984, and the 'grace period' doubled from one to two
years. One effect of these changes was that there were no expirations
at all from 1989 to 1994. Another was that the number of totally-
inactive-and-not-coming-back hams still shown on the database was
increased.

Another rules change that effects expirations is the vanity callsign
program. Unlike address changes, upgrades, etc., getting a vanity call
also generates a renewal. This may profoundly affect the distribution
of license expiration dates.

With the license term at ten years and the grace period at two years,
it can take a pretty long time for the actual loss of amateurs to show
up in the totals.

It is also important to know the details of what is included in the
numbers being cited. The raw numbers of licenses listed by
hamdata.com, for example, include both current licenses and those in
the grace period, while other sources do not include grace period
licensees.

Perhaps the old Tech license was a bit of a dead end?

Perhaps. However, if so, it should be noted that only a small
percentage of them have upgraded in the past 60 days.

There is also a fairly large variation in the license totals over
fairly short periods of time. For example, the total number of
current FCC-issued amateur licenses held by individuals was:

654,680 on Feb 22, 2007 (just before rules changed)
654,265 on Mar 5, 2007
654,160 on Mar 13, 2007
654,816 on Mar 14, 2007
655,025 on Mar 16, 2007
654,094 on Mar 19, 2007
655,136 on Apr 6, 2007
655,233 on Apr 12, 2007
654,649 on Apr 16, 2007
654,540 on Apr 24, 2007

Depending on which dates are compared, all sorts of short-term trends
could appear to be happening. For example, from March 13 to April 12
the total grew by 1073 - more than 3 per day! But from April 12 to
April 24, they declined by 693 - more than 5 per day. Of course on a
longer baseline things will even out; the point is that there are
large short-term variations.

[...]

"If it happens, it must be possible"

There might even be a trend towards more newcomers
entering than ever before, some hints of that already shown
in numbers onwww.hamdata.com.

The new hams in our area are good people, and are becomin

g active and
well mannered hams.

IMHO, that's more important than how many.

Looking back over the past decade or so, I see the following trends:

- The number of US hams grew in the early 1990s but began a slow
decline in the late 1990s.
- The number of US hams grew in the early 2000s (2000-2003, after the
rules changes that went into effect in April 2000) but the growth was
not sustained and began a slow decline in the mid-2003
- The recent changes (Feb 2007) appear to have stopped the decline in
the short term.
- Both the 2000 and 2007 rules changes had the effect of a far greater
number of existing hams upgrading than new hams joining.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old April 26th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 26, 4:35 am, wrote:
On Apr 10, 2:22 am, "Dee Flint" wrote:

Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

I may have to concede that point, Dee.

Uhhhhh, well, no, I guess I don't concede the point (GULP)! We may be
the unwitting butt of the Onion joke, but at least even THEY know
about us! We're famous!

Sunnuvagun!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 27th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Michael Coslo wrote on Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:35:43 EDT
AF6AY wrote:
On Apr 23, 10:41?am, "KH6HZ" wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote:

[...]

I was unaware that WordPerfect had any "reader" or equivalent. :-)
My upgrade from WP 3.1 to WP 8 came about, I think, from some
bean-counter's mistake at a Fry's Electronics sale. For a mere $85
I got the "8" Upgrade plus "Dragon Naturally Speaking" (with nice
little
single-earphone and boom mike headset). One has to keep eyes and
ears and mind open for legitimate bargains...they don't happen often.

I use Digipan and a whole host of other Ham radio software.

Let's not forget N1MM contest logger.

A number of people produce software for the PAQSO party.

All these things share one thing in common. They are free for the download.

Yes! And there's no need to change/include other Operating Systems
on
a PC!

Linear Technology Corporation isn't all that involved with altruism.
Their
LTSpice was originally configured to simulate their switching power
supply
ICs in order to boost their sales of same. Its first name
was "SwitcherCAD." However, they did change their SPICE "envelope" to
allow drawing-listing-analyzing-simulating any kind of discrete-
component
circuit. Their schematic-drawing and auto-netlist creation is not one
of
intrinsic beauty but it works just as good as those pay-for-everything
SPICE packages. It can be used as an ARRL Radio Designer
replacement or equivalent. At no cost.

Licensed amateurs as a whole in the US has been declining for 3+ years now.

Not really any big decline. Newcomers (never before licensed)
are filling in the gaps left by expirations. Check it out on
www.hamdata.com, right on the home page.

The "big drop-off" is largely being replaced. While we can discuss the
reason that it happened - it did happen. I suspect that we will get to
that earlier level at some point.

Perhaps the old Tech license was a bit of a dead end?

I don't think so. The "old" Technician class which became "Technician
Plus" in 1991 did serve its purpose in 1990 and before. Of course the
Tech Plus was no longer issued as of 2000, but then neither were
Advanced and Novice.

The Novice class license was conceived, lobbied-for by those who
thought
U.S. Amateur Radio would always have morse code as it epitome of
skills
and all should "do their time" in the "apprenticeship" of old-style
operating
as if amateur radio was a union, guild or special craft occupation.
Of
course it wasn't, despite all the urging and PR to "begin at the
beginning
and work, work, work your way up" by some. :-(

The "old" Tech and the new Tech were specifically banished from HF
until
July of 2003 and the changes to S25 (nearly entire re-write) at
WRC-03.
They served their original purpose well enough, I think, which was to
open a class of license for true experimenters. What really happened
was that the Techs (both kinds) found they could be IN amateur radio
and
it wasn't burdened by all the old morse code requirements (de jure and
de
facto). Even with the antipathy of old-timers ("shack on a belt" type
of
remarks, etc.) the Techs did their own thing on VHF-UHF and found it
as
much or more fun than what they "were supposed to do" on HF.

It should be fairly obvious that Techs (both kinds) made up very, very
close
to half of all licensees in U.S. amateur radio prior to 23 February
2007. It
was the "entry" class for so many and many enjoyed that so much they
didn't all switch to other classes. All that while the original
"entry" class of
Novice licensees were dwindling.

However, in the periodicals that survive there continue to be
new ham radio models being made and advertised, certain
models promoted with extras (such as Icom). Antenna
makers are still "up" and so are the hundreds of smaller
businesses selling peripheral equipment and add-ons. I'd
say that the interest in amateur radio is increasing, not the
opposite.

Agreed. Certainly it is in my area. There are some who would dispute
the success we are having in our area (we are running at a 2+ percent
increase after factoring in attrition for well over a year now) as a
fluke. I might respectfully suggest a new approach. 8^)

In the last week I've received new catalogs from AES, HRO, Texas
Towers, MFJ in the mail. It's either a grand conspiracy of marketing
or just a lot of ham goodies being made and sold. :-)

There might even be a trend towards more newcomers
entering than ever before, some hints of that already shown
in numbers on www.hamdata.com.

The new hams in our area are good people, and are becoming active and
well mannered hams.

I didn't know that new folks were "ill-mannerred." I've heard a lot
of old
folks say they were but, as one of the 'old folk' I have yet to see
that
for myself. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

Old April 27th 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 26, 11:27�pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote grou

ps.com:

Reg Edwards' (G4FGQ) whole selection of design software

Yoiks! I can't believe that I forgot Reg (at least his software) Thanks
for that addition, Jim

He's just one example that came to mind. There are lots more.

G4FON's Morse Code learning software, to name just one of many
Older versions of Spectrogram, an audio spectrum analyzer software
with many uses in the ham shack.
Several free online Amateur Radio practice test websites

All good additions, Jim

Thanks. And they're just a drop in the bucket.

The "big drop-off" is largely being replaced. While we ca

n discuss the
reason that it happened - it did happen. I suspect that we will get
to that earlier level at some point.

One factor I have not seem mentioned recently is the effect of rules
changes other than license test requirements on the number of hams.

For example, in the USA, the license term was doubled from 5 to 10
years back in 1984, and the 'grace period' doubled from one to two
years.

This is truly not an exact science! The licencing qualifi

cations
and expiry conditions have been quite dynamic.

Exactly.

Another rules change that effects expirations is the vanity callsign
program. Unlike address changes, upgrades, etc., getting a vanity call
also generates a renewal. This may profoundly affect the distribution
of license expiration dates.

With the license term at ten years and the grace period at two years,
it can take a pretty long time for the actual loss of amateurs to show
up in the totals.

Indeed. While I would presonally like my license to remai

n in
effect forever without renewal,(hehe) a shorter renewal cycle would be of
great utility in keeping track of how we are doing in retention of Hams.

There was a time when you could get a renewal almost any time in the
license term if some other change was happening, like an upgrade or an
address change. From 1967 to 1983, even though the license term was 5
years, I only renewed once, because of all the upgrades and address
changes I made in that time.

It is also important to know the details of what is included in the
numbers being cited.

It is a problem with all statistics/numbers.

Yes, but too often those making a statement can neglect to note what
is included in their totals.

What I have noticed in my area is that the upgrades from

Tech to
General has been mostly been by recently licensed Techs.

That says (to me) that a lot of newer folks are more interestd in
upgrading.

I would venture that there is not much use in trying to pick
up anything from our numbers except from long term statistics (in spite
of my yapping about the success we are having in my area). on a weekly
basis, nothing real can be determined.

The success in your area is simply one data point you have observed.
You're not saying it's a widespread trend, just that it's what you
have observed.

The day-to-day variations are so large that it will clearly be some
time before a long term trend is clear.

IMHO, what we're really seeing is a whole bunch of trends overlapping
each other.

The new hams in our area are good people, and are becoming active and
well mannered hams.

IMHO, that's more important than how many.

When it all boils down, that is what is important. Despite all the
concerns voiced by various segemnts of the Amateur community, what we
need are good, active people.

Agreed.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old May 3rd 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Apr 26, 5:49?am, wrote:

Looking back over the past decade or so, I see the following trends:

- The number of US hams grew in the early 1990s but began a slow
decline in the late 1990s.
- The number of US hams grew in the early 2000s (2000-2003, after the
rules changes that went into effect in April 2000) but the growth was
not sustained and began a slow decline in the mid-2003
- The recent changes (Feb 2007) appear to have stopped the decline in
the short term.
- Both the 2000 and 2007 rules changes had the effect of a far greater
number of existing hams upgrading than new hams joining.

Was there really any expectation to the contrary, Jim?

There's not been ten cents worth of promotion of the new
licenure requirements in the non-Amateur press, ie: Pop Science, Pop
Mechanics, etc etc etc...

WE know all albout the changes...No one else does, and even if
the ARRL, CQ, W5YI, etc started the full court press I seriously doubt
we'd see more than that same brief surge as you noteed above....Oh, to
be sure there's going to be a handful of the 11 meter DX crowd that
decides to "go legal", but that's still a very samll percentage.

Nope...I think we're getting all the "influx" now that we will.
I've said it before and here it is again...Amateur Radio does NOT need
"big numbers"...We need to have QUALITY licensees...That means solid
skills and a NON-COMPROMISED question pool like we have today.

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old May 3rd 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 2, 9:52�pm, wrote:
On Apr 26, 5:49?am, wrote:

Looking back over the past decade or so, I see the following trends:

- The number of US hams grew in the early 1990s but began a slow
decline in the late 1990s.
- The number of US hams grew in the early 2000s (2000-2003, after the
rules changes that went into effect in April 2000) but the growth was
not sustained and began a slow decline in the mid-2003
- The recent changes (Feb 2007) appear to have stopped the decline in
the short term.
- Both the 2000 and 2007 rules changes had the effect of a far greater
number of existing hams upgrading than new hams joining.

Was there really any expectation to the contrary, Jim?

One of the reasons given by those proposing the changes was to insure
the growth and survival of amateur radio in the 21st century.

There's not been ten cents worth of promotion of the new
licenure requirements in the non-Amateur press, ie: Pop Science, Pop
Mechanics, etc etc etc...

Do those mags even exist anymore? What's their circulation?

WE know all albout the changes...No one else does, and even if
the ARRL, CQ, W5YI, etc started the full court press I seriously doubt
we'd see more than that same brief surge as you noteed above....Oh, to
be sure there's going to be a handful of the 11 meter DX crowd that
decides to "go legal", but that's still a very samll percentage.

So how do we get the word out?

Nope...I think we're getting all the "influx" now that we will.
I've said it before and here it is again...Amateur Radio does NOT need
"big numbers"...We need to have QUALITY licensees..

Why can't we have both?

That means solid
skills and a NON-COMPROMISED question pool like we have today.

I'm not sure what you mean by "non-compromised".

If it means a secret test, forget it. The only way we'd ever get
secret tests again would be for FCC to take over the process, and
they're just not going to do that.

And even if FCC could somehow be convinced to take over the whole test
preparation and administration process, somebody could just repeat
Dick Bash's tricks of 30+ years ago, and the tests wouldn't stay
secret.

The one thing that *can* be done is to make the pools so big that it's
easier to learn the material than to learn the test.
Anyone can submit questions to the QPC.

73 de Jim, N2EY.