RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   Before and After Cessation of Code Testing (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/170562-before-after-cessation-code-testing.html)

AF6AY March 31st 07 07:48 AM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

Prior to the cessation of code testing for US amateur radio
license testing, there were a number of speculations on what
would happen in the amateur radio ranks. To see what really
happened I looked at www.handata.com information and selected
the 30-day period prior to 24 January 2007 (or 30 to 60 days
prior to end of code testing) and the 30-day period just after
23 February 2007:

FCC Action Ending 24 January 2007 Ending 24 March
2007
-------------------
---------------------- --------------------
New Licensees 1,342
2,941
No Longer Licensed 2,101 2,975

Class Changes 985
7,234
Callsign Changes 214
897
All Updates * 16,536
17,418

* Includes Renewals, Address Changes, etc.

30-day Period ending 24 March begins approximately 23 February
2007.
30-day Period ending 24 January begins approximately 24 December
2006.

The number of Updates, primarily Renewals, is about the same for
the
two periods. Expirations are about the same, allowing for the
perterbation of the year-end Holiday of Christmas and New Years
when no or little testing is done. It should be noted that
Expirations
are generally higher than the number of New amateurs entering. One
reason for the lower number of New Licensees in January may (or may
not) have been a "waiting period" between the announcement of the
FCC 06-178 R&O on code test elimination and it taking effect near
the end of February.

Most significant are the Class Changes indicating that major
activity
was Upgrades, a 7.3:1.0 ratio. Callsign Changes were less at about
a 4.2:1.0 ratio. License Class totals show the distribution of
Upgrades a bit better:

License Class As of 24 January
2007 As of 24 March 2007
----------------
--------------------- -------------------
Technician 310,195 (+870) 307,730 (-3,998)
Technician Plus 41,343 (-840) 39,242 (-1,208)
Novice 29,429 (-243) 28,892 (-291)
General 142,428 (-323) 147,186 (+5,129)
Advanced 76,889 (-335) 76,084 (-475)
Extra 111,423 (+6) 112,231 (+775)
Club 10,313 (+53) 10,402 (+56)
TOTAL 722,020 (-812) 721,767 (-12)

Total less Club 711,707 711,365

Numbers in parentheses indicate the change in class totals from the
start of that particular 30-day period.

There is a significant increase in the number of General Class
licensees through March and a near similar decline in numbers
of Technician Class indicating that many of those new Generals
probably came from the Technician Class.

All those in their 2-year Grace Period are included. Since we
don't
know if those are just letting their license lay until it expires
or are too busy right now or otherwise occupied, I am including
them
since the FCC allows them to pick up where they left off if they
decide to renew before that Grace Period is up.

73, Len AF6AY

xxx March 31st 07 05:02 PM

"AF6AY" wrote:

Prior to the cessation of code testing for US amateur radio
license testing, there were a number of speculations on what
would happen in the amateur radio ranks. To see what really
happened [...]

Are you sure that you've given it enough time? How many non-hams
know anything about any of this? It will probably be years before the
results are in.

KC5FM/WX5EM/WQDE391 March 31st 07 05:57 PM

On Mar 31, 12:48 am, "AF6AY" wrote:

happened I looked atwww.handata.cominformation and selected

http://www.hamdata.com/

73

Lloyd Colston, KC5FM
http://kc5fm.ld.net

AF6AY March 31st 07 07:59 PM

On Mar 31, 8:02�am, xxx wrote:
*"AF6AY" wrote:
* *Prior to the cessation of code testing for US amateur radio
* *license testing, there were a number of speculations on what
* *would happen in the amateur radio ranks. *To see what really
* *happened [...]

* * Are you sure that you've given it enough time? How many non-hams
know anything about any of this? It will probably be years before the
results are in.

Yes, an accurate portrayal won't be possible until some time
in the future. However, this day is only the end of March and
the code test ended on 23 February 2007. I was showing what
was thought to be the beginning of a trend, based on the FCC
database information as collected - en toto - by third parties.
As far as I can see, the FCC database numbers are "what
really happened" in the 30-day period following (and including)
the day that amateur radio license testing excluded the code
test.

Disclaimer: The numbers for the 30-day period ending 24
March will be skewed slightly in (approximately) the first
week of code test elimination. That is a result in delay of
applicant test results being delivered to the various VEC
headquarters, re-checked, then (if VEC approval occurs)
being delivered to the FCC. That delay time is unknown but
can be speculated as at least a week, perhaps two weeks.

As a benchmark for comparison, I used the 30-day period
which began during the start of US year-end holiday time,
when the code test was mandatory for General and Amateur
Extra license classes. I did not download and save either
the publicly-posted Hamdata or ARRL statistics prior to that
time on a daily basis. Note that the earlier period can also
be "skewed" since the Technician class license has not
required a code test since it was first created by the FCC
in 1991.

I may be erroneous in the assumption that the end of code
testing was a landmark decision of major proportions in
United States amateur radio. That news has been a topic
of news and conversation of organizations and news and
discussion sites about amateur radio for at least two years.
For references there are www.qrz.com, www.eham.net,
several equipment classified ad websites, QST, CQ,
Popular Communications magazines, and newsgroups,
all concerning US amateur radio policies and practices.
I am aware that a few radio-interested individuals were not
up-to-date on the cessation of code testing...but, in fairness,
the majority of individuals were cognizant of the end of code
testing and exceptions to that do not adequately eliminate
the majority awareness.

Argument aside on the veracity of information that is
available, there is no real evidence that the end of code
testing resulted in any great tidal-wave of "no coders"
suddenly appearing in US amateur radio. There was a
very evident condition of many already-licensed who
applied for, and got, "upgrades" to General and Amateur
Extra class licenses. I am not approving nor disapproving
of that practice, just showing the result of publicly-
available numeric information gathered and presented in
a format for comparison of two selected time-periods.

I have to apologize to readers for the very un-neat
appearance of my tabulations. Those were done in
fixed-size typeface in Notepad off-line and its
conversion to Google-accepted message format
destroyed a neat columnization of numbers of fixed-
font. If anyone wants the original text of columnization
I will be happy to forward that in private e-mail.

73, Len AF6AY

-or-
magazines

AF6AY March 31st 07 08:00 PM

On Mar 31, 8:57�am, "KC5FM/WX5EM/WQDE391" wrote:
On Mar 31, 12:48 am, "AF6AY" wrote:

* *happened I looked atwww.handata.cominformationand selected

http://www.hamdata.com/

73

Lloyd Colston, KC5FMhttp://kc5fm.ld.net

My apologies are tendered for an apparent run-together of
text by the time my off-line prepared message got into
whatever form the message robot uses. I will pay better
attention to columnization in the future.

If you desire a copy of the original message (using Courier
fixed-font-spacing) I will be happy to send that in private
e-mail, either direct or converted to PDF, on a private e-mail
inquiry.

73, Len AF6AY

[email protected] April 1st 07 03:24 AM

On Mar 31, 1:59�pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 31, 8:02�am, xxx wrote:

*"AF6AY" wrote:
* *Prior to the cessation of code testing for US amateur radio
* *license testing, there were a number of speculations on what
* *would happen in the amateur radio ranks. *To see what really
* *happened [...]

* * Are you sure that you've given it enough time? How many non-hams
know anything about any of this? It will probably be years before the
results are in.

* *Yes, an accurate portrayal won't be possible until some time
* *in the future. *However, this day is only the end of March and
* *the code test ended on 23 February 2007. *I was showing what
* *was thought to be the beginning of a trend, based on the FCC
* *database information as collected - en toto - by third parties.

Extrapolation from such limited data may or may not
be representative of a trend.

The daily variation of the license totals can exceed the
apparent growth, too. For example, on February 23, 2007
the total number of current FCC-issued amateur license
held by individuals was 654,710. On March 29, 2007,
the total was 654,774, which looks like a growth of 64.

But in between the daily total has fluctuated all over the place. On
March 16, 2007, the total was 655,025, and on
March 19, 2007 the total was 654,094. That's a variation of
931 in just three days! Of course those are extremes, but you can see
how much of a different conclusion could be drawn depending on which
days you choose to compare.

Over time the trend will become clearer, but a month is
a very short baseline.

* *As far as I can see, the FCC database numbers are "what
* *really happened" in the 30-day period following (and including)
* *the day that amateur radio license testing excluded the code
* *test.

They are certainly one indicator. There are others.

IMHO, it is more accurate to use the number of current,
unexpired licenses rather than including those in the grace
period. Renewal is free, easy and can be done several
ways including online. Why would any licensed amateur
with continued interest allow the license to be in the grace
period without renewing?

* *I may be erroneous in the assumption that the
end of code
* *testing was a landmark decision of major proportions in
* *United States amateur radio. *

When the debate over Morse Code testing was going
on, "growth" was one of the main reasons given to
remove it. I saw many claims that the number of US
amateurs would continue to shrink unless all Morse
Code testing was eliminated, and that many "otherwise
qualified people" would flood into Amateur Radio if all
code testing were eliminated. So far, that doesn't appear
to be happening.

But it's only been a bit over a month. Perhaps there will be long-term
growth, perhaps not. The numbers will tell the story over time.

73 de Jim, N2EY

AF6AY April 1st 07 10:16 PM

"AF6AY" wrote:

Yes, an accurate portrayal won't be possible until some time
in the future. However, this day is only the end of March and
the code test ended on 23 February 2007. I was showing what
was thought to be the beginning of a trend, based on the FCC
database information as collected - en toto - by third parties.

Extrapolation from such limited data may or may not
be representative of a trend.

Please forgive me for not having a working crystal ball. The
figures for April to December 2007 and all of 2008 were not
available to me. :-)

However, some "trends" should be clearly visible:
1. There was a sudden jump of seven times the number of
upgrades in a 30 day period as compared to the 30 day
period two months prior.
2. There was a sudden jump of four times the number of
license class changes in a 30 day period as compared
to the 30 day period two months prior.
3. There was an approximate doubling of the number of NEW
(never before licensed) amateurs in a 30 day period as
compared to the 30 day period two months prior.

The daily variation of the license totals can exceed the
apparent growth, too. For example, on February 23, 2007
the total number of current FCC-issued amateur license
held by individuals was 654,710. On March 29, 2007,
the total was 654,774, which looks like a growth of 64.

I specifically used a 30-day period as an averaging scheme
and such averaging over time is quite common in sensing
trends in statistical work. Day-to-day variations DO occur
but a total of actions in a 30-day period do have a smoothing
effect and come closer to an average.

Note that most of the VEC testing schedules are monthly or
bi-weekly.

IMHO, it is more accurate to use the number of current,
unexpired licenses rather than including those in the grace
period. Renewal is free, easy and can be done several
ways including online. Why would any licensed amateur
with continued interest allow the license to be in the grace
period without renewing?

For several possible reasons:
1. Death, natural, suicide, or as the result of (2).
2. Accident or stroke (or similar medical problems) not
allowing full use of communications faculties.
3. Spousal or family or friends' disapproval.
4. Extended military or business relocations.
5. Incarceration or arrest (rare).
6. Growing dissatisfaction with amateur activities and/or
policies.

Now, item (6) might be debateable, but then observe that
your conditional "...with continued interest" implies
that no other reasons are valid, including the possibility
of growing dissatisfaction. I don't choose to argue that
point with you since the rest of your posting appears too
confrontational and argumentative.

I merely compared two 30-day periods based on the numbers
available to all on www.hamdata.com, a service provided
by them and one that is derived from FCC database
information which is available to the public. I trust in
the veracity of that information since it compares well
with other Internet-access sources of statistical
information, also derived from the same FCC database.
The conclusions I came to were my own observations, not
my "opinion" nor of having any preconceived notion of
what "might" happen...only that some did speculate on
"what would happen" in other discussion venues.

I have PDFs of the downloads I used and will ZIP them up
and send them privately via e-mail attachments to anyone
having a valid Internet address. That includes a "nice"
formatting of my original post. If there are errors
between my numbers postings and the www.hamdata.com
numbers, I will acknowledge those errors. At this point
I don't believe there are any errors in my postings'
numerical values.

73, Len AF6AY

[email protected] April 9th 07 11:34 PM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

The FCC database derived numbers can be inconclusive, because the "new/
upgrade" numbers are masked by expirations, giving a "net" number.

Here are some interesting numbers compiled by NCVEC just from test/
upgrade-paper numbers are "bare" of the influence of expirations.

These numbers compare the period of Jan 1 to March 25 of this year
(2007) vs. last year (2006)

New Tech (2006) 4685 (2007) 6565 Change = +40%
New/Upgraded Generals (2006) 945 (2007) 7395 Change = +683%
New/Upgraded Extras (2006) 775 (2007) 1910 Change = +146%

73, de Hans, K0HB

Dee Flint April 10th 07 12:16 AM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

wrote in message
oups.com...
The FCC database derived numbers can be inconclusive, because the "new/
upgrade" numbers are masked by expirations, giving a "net" number.

Here are some interesting numbers compiled by NCVEC just from test/
upgrade-paper numbers are "bare" of the influence of expirations.

These numbers compare the period of Jan 1 to March 25 of this year
(2007) vs. last year (2006)

New Tech (2006) 4685 (2007) 6565 Change = +40%
New/Upgraded Generals (2006) 945 (2007) 7395 Change = +683%
New/Upgraded Extras (2006) 775 (2007) 1910 Change = +146%

73, de Hans, K0HB

Yet the net number is far more meaningful. It is what tells us if we have
growth or not. Many (but not all) proponents said that this would bring
growth and, at least so far, it has not. Admittedly the time frame is as
yet too short. However, it's also too short to see if this change in new
Technicians is sustained or is a momentary blip in the curve.

Dee, N8UZE

[email protected] April 10th 07 02:16 AM

On Apr 9, 5:16 pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:

Yet the net number is far more meaningful.

"Meaningful" is context dependent.

If the context is "compare the number of new/upgraded licenses by
class for the period January 1 through March 25, 2007 with the
corresponding period in 2006", then the "net" number is not meaningful
and would be misleading.

73, de Hans, K0HB

xxx April 10th 07 02:16 AM

"Dee Flint" wrote:

Yet the net number is far more meaningful. It is what tells us if we have
growth or not. Many (but not all) proponents said that this would bring
growth and, at least so far, it has not. Admittedly the time frame is as
yet too short. However, it's also too short to see if this change in new
Technicians is sustained or is a momentary blip in the curve.

As I see it, the time frame is too short to draw any conclusions of
any sort. Imagine that we were discussing a change to the tax laws that
was intended to increase reinvestment. How many YEARS would you have to
wait before you could say that you had conclusive proof that the policy
had succeeded or failed?
I still believe that the vast majority of persons who have an
interest in electronics, computers, radio and related fields; the
demographic segment from which one would reasonably expect to attract
new hams, knows nothing whatever about any of this. While they probably
read technical publications of some sort, most of them probably read no
publications that are explicitly about amateur radio. I have seen
virtually nothing on this topic in any other media.

Dee Flint April 10th 07 03:22 AM

"xxx" wrote in message
"Dee Flint" wrote:

[...]

Which is precisely my point. Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

Dee, N8UZE

[email protected] April 10th 07 08:22 AM

On Apr 9, 8:22 pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:

Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

I don't believe that there is any significant percentage of the
general population of the USA who has never heard of ham radio.

I don't believe the "changes in requirements" were intended to grow
ham radio.

I don't even care if ham radio grows or doesn't grow. There are
millions of hams on planet Earth, more than enough to fill my logs on
any mode I choose through at least the next four sunspot cycles.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Michael Coslo April 10th 07 07:00 PM

wrote:
On Apr 9, 8:22 pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:

Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

I don't believe that there is any significant percentage of the
general population of the USA who has never heard of ham radio.

I don't believe the "changes in requirements" were intended to grow
ham radio.

I don't even care if ham radio grows or doesn't grow. There are
millions of hams on planet Earth, more than enough to fill my logs on
any mode I choose through at least the next four sunspot cycles.

I believe that Hans' percentage numbers are indeed relevant.

In a dynamic area such as ARS license numbers, there is a need to look
beyond raw numbers and to determine exactly why the numbers that you are
comparing look as they do.

Looking at the numbers in one way, we may wonder at an apparent
drop-off. A lot of technicians went way. We need to speculate on why. It
would be a basic assumption that they decided that Ham radio was not for
them.

Why? Some have speculated that the majority of that drop-off was a
change in communication habits, ie. Hams who got their licenses for
purposes of "calling home" to check in, or get a grocery list, or the
like. Some call that flavor of Ham a "honeydo" Ham. These people are
served by Cell phones now.

Others have speculated that the dropoff was due to poor treatment of
new Hams.

I don't doubt that there may be examples of the second group, I would
surmise that there could be a little bit of both reasons, but am
inclined to think it might be a 90/10 in favor of the former.

I have personally seen a surge of new Hams in our area. We've been
having a 2 percent growth in our area since *before* the testing change,
and assuming that tonights testing is successful, 2 new generals and a
Technician will be added to the ranks this evening. Those new guys don't
know a thing about what the Honeydo hams were doing ten years ago, and
don't particularly care either. They have become interested in Ham
radio, and we've encouraged them every step of the way. We've been
selling the sizzle.

One minor disagreement with Hans, though. I don't care if we get some
kind of huge growth, in fact, that would be lots of problems to deal
with. We need a steady influx of new people to keep the hobby
interesting, and to replace the fact that everyone is terminated to
ground eventually. 1 percent growth would be desirable in that context,
I think.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Dee Flint April 10th 07 10:51 PM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 9, 8:22 pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:

Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

I don't believe that there is any significant percentage of the
general population of the USA who has never heard of ham radio.

Well I certainly run into a lot of people who don't know about it. They ask
me what my antennas are for and I tell them ham radio. The next question
out of their mouths is "Ham radio, what's that?"

I don't believe the "changes in requirements" were intended to grow
ham radio.

I don't know if that was the intent or not but some people tried to convince
the rest of us that it was absolutely necessary for amateur radio to grow.

I don't even care if ham radio grows or doesn't grow. There are
millions of hams on planet Earth, more than enough to fill my logs on
any mode I choose through at least the next four sunspot cycles.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Personally I think there will be ups and downs.

Dee, N8UZE

Dee Flint April 10th 07 10:57 PM

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
On Apr 9, 8:22 pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:

Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

I don't believe that there is any significant percentage of the
general population of the USA who has never heard of ham radio.

I don't believe the "changes in requirements" were intended to grow
ham radio.

I don't even care if ham radio grows or doesn't grow. There are
millions of hams on planet Earth, more than enough to fill my logs on
any mode I choose through at least the next four sunspot cycles.

I believe that Hans' percentage numbers are indeed relevant.

However, they need to be looked at in context. Just looking solely at the
new licenses and upgrades does not give a complete picture.

In a dynamic area such as ARS license numbers, there is a need to look
beyond raw numbers and to determine exactly why the numbers that you are
comparing look as they do.

Which was precisely the point I attempted to make.

[snip]

One minor disagreement with Hans, though. I don't care if we get some kind
of huge growth, in fact, that would be lots of problems to deal with. We
need a steady influx of new people to keep the hobby interesting, and to
replace the fact that everyone is terminated to ground eventually. 1
percent growth would be desirable in that context, I think.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

I would like to see it stay at about the same percentage of the general
population as it is now. As the population grows or shrinks, I would expect
our numbers to do the same. However, as you said, we do need the new
recruits as none of us are immortal.

Dee, N8UZE

[email protected] April 11th 07 12:22 AM

On Apr 10, 2:00�pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 9, 8:22 pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:

Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

I don't believe that there is any significant percentage of the
general population of the USA who has never heard of ham radio.

In my experience, non-hams' knowledge of the
existence of amateur radio is all over the map, from
"never heard of it" to "what do you want to know?"

Most people may have heard of it, but that doesn't mean
they really understand it. For example, I have met people
who thought amateur radio disappeared years ago. Others
think that it requires an elaborate station and the knowledge
of an EE just to get started. Etc.

With significantly less than 1% of US residents holding
amateur radio licenses, it's not unreasonable that lots
of people today would not have heard of amateur radio.

I don't believe the "changes in requirements" were intended to grow
ham radio.

"Growth" has consistently been one of the main reasons
given for changing the license requirements, by those
who wanted them changed.

I don't even care if ham radio grows or doesn't grow. *There are
millions of hams on planet Earth, more than enough to fill my logs on
any mode I choose through at least the next four sunspot cycles.

I think growth is a good thing, as long as it does not come
at the price of quality.

I believe that Hans' percentage numbers are indeed relevant.

In a dynamic area such as ARS license numbers, there is a need to look
beyond raw numbers and to determine exactly why the numbers that you are
comparing look as they do.

Agreed.

* * * * Looking at the numbers in one way, we may wonder at an apparent
drop-off. A lot of technicians went way. We need to speculate on why. It
would be a basic assumption that they decided that Ham radio was not for
them.

That assumption is incomplete, however.

Some may have decided ham radio was not for them.
Others may have had to put aside ham radio for a time,
because of other responsibilities.

A considerable number may have either died or become
incapacitated enough that amateur radio is no longer an
option for them.

Why? Some have speculated that the majority of that drop-off was a
change in communication habits, ie. Hams who got their licenses for
purposes of "calling home" to check in, or get a grocery list, or the
like. Some call that flavor of Ham a "honeydo" Ham. These people are
served by Cell phones now.

I know many hams who got licenses in the late 1970s, 1980s and 1990s
for just that reason. Some of them
became interested in other facets of amateur radio, some
did not. Some replaced amateur radio with a cell phone,
some did not.

I don't know if those who replaced amateur radio with a
cell phone make up a majority of those who left, or not.

But I do know this: We're not getting very many new
"honeydew" hams anymore. Not anywhere near what
we were getting before 1995 or so.

Others have speculated that the dropoff was due to
poor treatment of new Hams.

*I don't doubt that there may be examples of the second group, *I would
surmise that there could be a little bit of both reasons, but am
inclined to think it might be a 90/10 in favor of *the former.

If not even more so.

* * * * I have personally seen a surge of new Hams in our area. We've been
having a 2 percent growth in our area since *before* the testing change,
and assuming that tonights testing is successful, 2 new generals and a
Technician will be added to the ranks this evening. Those new guys don't
know a thing about what the Honeydo hams were doing ten years ago, and
don't particularly care either. They have become interested in Ham
radio, and we've encouraged them every step of the way. We've been
selling the sizzle.

Exactly! But by the same token, to get those 3 hams, you probably had
to sell the sizzle to quite a large number of
people.

*One minor disagreement with Hans, though. I don't care if we get some
kind of huge growth, in fact, that would be lots of problems to deal
with. We need a steady influx of new people to keep the hobby
interesting, and to replace the fact that everyone is terminated to
ground eventually. 1 percent growth would be desirable in that context,
I think.

I think that if Amateur Radio is presented in a clear and positive
manner, the growth will take care of itself.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Paul W. Schleck[_3_] April 11th 07 02:10 AM

In .com writes:

On Apr 9, 8:22 pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:

Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

I don't believe that there is any significant percentage of the
general population of the USA who has never heard of ham radio.

I believe that there is a significant difference between "never heard"
of ham radio versus just aren't aware of aspects of ham radio that may
be appealing to them personally. The latter is far more prevalent, and
worrisome, in my opinion. What is the lay perception of ham radio?
Probably the most positive is that of of hard-core techies with antennas
all over their houses and cars (as hard-core techies are the force
behind popular, sometimes useful, things like the space program,
cellular telephones, digital music, HDTV, the Internet, etc.). Being
admired as techie heroes doesn't necessarily mean that a lot of people
want to become such techie heroes themselves, however. The most
negative image would be that of reclusive individuals engaging in an
obscure, possibly obsolete, pastime with no apparent redeeming social
value beyond preserving history and reminiscing about the past.

Over the years, I have observed the following common reactions by the
lay public to ham radio publicity and recruitment:

- Oh, isn't that like CB?

- So, can I set up my own broadcast station and play whatever music I
want?

- My grandfather/uncle/father/brother/cousin was into that many years
ago, is it still around?

- I'm really not deeply technical, is that for me?

- I do consider myself a techie, but would ham radio give me any useful
training or experience beyond what I could already get from
traditional academic or vocational programs?

The editorials linked by Ed Mitchell, KF7VY, in his "last column" below
are at least 8 years old or more, but I think they are still relevant to
the current discussion (though there has been some regulatory relief
since he wrote them, especially with regard to digital modes and
spread-spectrum):

http://www.hamradio-online.com/1999/oct/lastcolumn.html

I don't believe the "changes in requirements" were intended to grow
ham radio.

That does seem to be the main strawman that's been built up by some (not
all) who would fight for the status-quo to the bitter end, and appear to
want to transfer the blame for lack of growth to others. Would a
stagnant service that wasn't shrinking, but wasn't growing, be any
better or worse than trying to appropriately embrace change?

I don't even care if ham radio grows or doesn't grow. There are
millions of hams on planet Earth, more than enough to fill my logs on
any mode I choose through at least the next four sunspot cycles.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Let's hope those sunspot cycles are better than the last few. I can't
recall any really good HF propagation since at least the late 1980's,
and certainly nowhere near the all-time peak in recorded history that
occurred in the 1950's (or so I'm told by my elders).

- --
73, Paul W. Schleck, K3FU

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/
Finger for PGP Public Key

AF6AY April 11th 07 02:10 AM

Michael Coslo wrote on Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:00:46 EDT:

Subject: Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

wrote:
On Apr 9, 8:22 pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:

Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

I don't believe that there is any significant percentage of the
general population of the USA who has never heard of ham radio.

I don't believe the "changes in requirements" were intended to grow
ham radio.

I don't even care if ham radio grows or doesn't grow. There are
millions of hams on planet Earth, more than enough to fill my logs on
any mode I choose through at least the next four sunspot cycles.

I believe that Hans' percentage numbers are indeed relevant.

In a dynamic area such as ARS license numbers, there is a need to look
beyond raw numbers and to determine exactly why the numbers that you are
comparing look as they do.

In general I agree with you Mike. I've had some trouble getting
to the website where Hans got his numbers; www.ncvec.org doesn't
have any page with that information.

Other than that, amateur radio licensee numbers MUST remain "up"
in order to indicate to the government there is a "presence" of
citizens in a sizeable number that deserves attention. There
are many different radio services regulated by the FCC and
amateur radio is a minority among those.

The "why" of license changes can be determined by different raw
database searching than what most "statistics" websites show.
The information exists as to changes in class. Obviously there
has been a large number of recent "upgrades" of Technician to
General. None of us can find any reasons for licensees letting
their licenses lapse, at least from the raw database.

The FCC database may be publicly-downloadable but it is LARGE
at, what, 80 to 90 Megabytes? One needs high-speed Internet
service for reasonable downloading. File size of the database
is not a problem in modern PCs, nor is it difficult to write a
specific sorting routine to extract various categories' data.
Many publicly-accessible websites already do some sorting.

Why? Some have speculated that the majority of that drop-off was a
change in communication habits, ie. Hams who got their licenses for
purposes of "calling home" to check in, or get a grocery list, or the
like. Some call that flavor of Ham a "honeydo" Ham. These people are
served by Cell phones now.

Based on my experience in southern California, I took the
"honey-do" license reason as pure speculation on others' part.
What I have seen here in the last decade is: (1). A rapid
growth of cellular in its present compact HT form; (2). a
growth of "technician" type VHF and UHF activity which had
already begun well back before the year 2000 Restructuring.

Caveat: I live in a large urban population area, not unlike
the NYC-LI, Chicago, San Francisco ('Bay Area'), Seattle, etc.
areas. VHF-UHF at LOS paths works well in such areas. But,
there is another part of VHF-UHF radio activity that doesn't
quite have the parallel of HF DX hunting, in-person get-
togethers, spontaneous or planned.

The BBS or Bulletin Board System had a tremendous growth
from the early 1980s to the "ripening" of the Internet in
the later 1990s. Quite a number of those BBSs featured
in-person "gatherings" of a social nature where all could
get to know one another better, not through the scarcity of
few clues presented through a computer screen. That's not
unlike the VHF-UHF large urban amateur situation where the
participants can travel a short distance to some gathering.
There's not the "DX Isolation" of hundreds or thousands of
miles to another continent as is often the case on HF.

There's more activity of radio amateurs above 30 MHz than
what the "HF" amateurs think, especially in larger urban
areas. Those who operate above 30 MHz should never be
thought of or even considered as "second-class" amateurs
of the "shack on a belt" category.

I have personally seen a surge of new Hams in our area. We've been
having a 2 percent growth in our area since *before* the testing change,
and assuming that tonights testing is successful, 2 new generals and a
Technician will be added to the ranks this evening. Those new guys don't
know a thing about what the Honeydo hams were doing ten years ago, and
don't particularly care either. They have become interested in Ham
radio, and we've encouraged them every step of the way. We've been
selling the sizzle.

There's a problem with using anecdotal evidence: It is too
limited to apply to the national scene. Changes in licensing
patterns FOR the national area can only be derived from national
licensing information. I can say my 91352 ZIP area has 78 hams
with over 2/3 of those at Tech or Tech-Plus category but it
means little for a national amateur radio condition. Yes, at
my test session on 25 Feb 07 over half were there to get or to
upgrade from Technician licenses. Doesn't mean much to looking
at the overall national scene.

One minor disagreement with Hans, though. I don't care if we get some
kind of huge growth, in fact, that would be lots of problems to deal
with. We need a steady influx of new people to keep the hobby
interesting, and to replace the fact that everyone is terminated to
ground eventually. 1 percent growth would be desirable in that context,
I think.

The national population keeps on growing. Amateur radio licensee
numbers have not over the last four years. To keep a "presence"
of the hobby requires that licensee numbers at least keep pace with
the population increases. The FCC is aware of numbers and serves
the national interest, not just amateurs. The FCC must try to
accomodate all the radio services as best it can. In general, I
see them as doing that.

If the amateur radio licensee numbers are up or at least
maintained,
there will be a MARKET of suppliers of amateur radio goods. That's
important, not just for ready-made super-deluxe do-everything rigs
but also for supplies, of components, of accessories. If the
market sees a decline in percentage of the population, then some
will drop out or the prices of goods will increase.

The amateur radio market has already dropped some. Advertising
sales are down slightly. That was enough to force HR and 73 to
quit their independent publications, for CQ to reduce its VHF
specialty periodical. QST hangs in there on the basis of enormous
support from the ARRL but it is folly to depend on it as the sole
source of all US amateur radio information. Radio Shack is mainly
a purveyor of consumer electronics goods. There are fewer and
fewer "radio parts" stores across the country; most of the old
"radio parts" aren't even made now, their makers into other,
more profitable electronics goods areas. Without a "presence"
in the marketplace, a decline in license numbers could continue
a slow market drought.

BTW, as to Dee Flint's other comment in this thread, the "pros"
in electronics HAVE been informed of the code test elimination
since December, 2006. EDN and Electronic Design, both industry
trades of wide distribution, and SPECTRUM, the membership
magazine of the IEEE had news of that prior to 23 Feb 07. There
were brief mentions of it in various Pentron industry trade
news, even the occasional newspaper "filler" story around the
country. It wasn't known just to already-licensed radio amateurs
but to a larger segment of the electronics-oriented public.

73, Len AF6AY

Dee Flint April 11th 07 03:31 AM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

"AF6AY" wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

BTW, as to Dee Flint's other comment in this thread, the "pros"
in electronics HAVE been informed of the code test elimination
since December, 2006. EDN and Electronic Design, both industry
trades of wide distribution, and SPECTRUM, the membership
magazine of the IEEE had news of that prior to 23 Feb 07. There
were brief mentions of it in various Pentron industry trade
news, even the occasional newspaper "filler" story around the
country. It wasn't known just to already-licensed radio amateurs
but to a larger segment of the electronics-oriented public.

73, Len AF6AY

What percentage of the general populace read EDN, Electronic Design, and
Spectrum? We can't rely on just one group of people (pros in electronics)
to provide stability or even growth. Just because a person is an
electronics pro doesn't necessarily mean that amateur radio will tickle
their fancy.

What percentage of the newspapers carried those fillers? Not many. Of
those, what percentage of people actually read the fillers tucked in here
and there in the newspaper?

We need to get the word out among the general populace not just specialty
groups.

Dee, N8UZE

Larry April 11th 07 09:21 AM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

I bumped into this post after a couple of hours on Skype with a ham buddy
of mine in New Zealand. I was 5-9 for the whole QSO and I don't have an
antenna.

Who do we call "potential recruits" under these conditions? What's the
point, any more? (Please don't point me to that old BS about emergency
comms. I went right through the eye of Hurricane Hugo in Charleston in
1989, talking on Cellular One's AMPS bagphone to worried friends in Ohio as
I stood in the street, in the eye, looking up at the stars in a completely
destroyed neighborhood.

The system is even better, now, unless, of course, the Illuminati use
thermite to take out the building the cellular switch is located in like
9/11 in NYC.

Larry
--
..

Mike Coslo April 11th 07 09:22 AM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

"AF6AY" wrote in
oups.com:

In general I agree with you Mike. I've had some trouble getting
to the website where Hans got his numbers; www.ncvec.org doesn't
have any page with that information.

Other than that, amateur radio licensee numbers MUST remain "up"
in order to indicate to the government there is a "presence" of
citizens in a sizeable number that deserves attention. There
are many different radio services regulated by the FCC and
amateur radio is a minority among those.

Agreed. I'm glad someone got that into this conversation. That we
have these allocations at all is a minor miracle. Numerical preservation
is one of the ways that we will keep them, IMO.

Why? Some have speculated that the majority of that drop-off
was a
change in communication habits, ie. Hams who got their licenses for
purposes of "calling home" to check in, or get a grocery list, or the
like. Some call that flavor of Ham a "honeydo" Ham. These people are
served by Cell phones now.

Based on my experience in southern California, I took the
"honey-do" license reason as pure speculation on others' part.
What I have seen here in the last decade is: (1). A rapid
growth of cellular in its present compact HT form; (2). a
growth of "technician" type VHF and UHF activity which had
already begun well back before the year 2000 Restructuring.

Yes, most of the reasons given are spectulation, and when that
happens we tend to inject our own personal views into that speculation. I
don't really know the cause of the drop-off, am just making a (hopefully)
intelligent guess. 8^)

Caveat: I live in a large urban population area, not unlike
the NYC-LI, Chicago, San Francisco ('Bay Area'), Seattle, etc.
areas. VHF-UHF at LOS paths works well in such areas. But,
there is another part of VHF-UHF radio activity that doesn't
quite have the parallel of HF DX hunting, in-person get-
togethers, spontaneous or planned.

From th etimes that I was out there, that would be VHF nirvana,
tall mountains and fairly flat valleys. I suspect the canyons might be a
little challenging tho'. Back here in PA we have nice mountains, but so
many foothills and corduroy valleys that make repeater work a little more
challenging. But even that can be overcome with effort and fairly deep
pockets. We have a very good local repeater system, with several polling
stations on the local mountains that vote on which signal gets to the
main repeater. A 300 mw HT cam be used over almost the entire county.

There's more activity of radio amateurs above 30 MHz than
what the "HF" amateurs think, especially in larger urban
areas.

We're certainly busy on VHF here. State College is considered the
"smallest metropolitan area in the country...8^)

Those who operate above 30 MHz should never be
thought of or even considered as "second-class" amateurs
of the "shack on a belt" category.

Absolutely. I've often thought that there was a natural divide
between HF and VHF+. Disregarding 6 meters, which is kind of a mishmash,
it can almost be two different hobbies. I gravitate toward HF myself, but
there is cool stuff happening at VHF and above. And so what if a Hams
hobby is confined to "the repeater" anyhow?

[...]

Our situation is truly a "single data point". My thoughts on that are
that we are working hard to prove that with an inclusive atmosphere
(critical) and selling that sizzle, we seem to be making it work.

There are so many facets to Ham radio - Experimentation, Olde tyme
radio, voice, digital, simple OOK Morse comms. Public service,
contesting, DX'ing, homebrewing, SWD radio, Offroading comms, and on and
on. the ARS should almost be selling itself. And the serendipitious finds
it's way into the picture too. I never would have thought that I would
get into hollow state technology, as I am heavily into the latest
technology too. Go figure!

My main point is that with good representatives, Ham radio
shouldn't be a hard sell.

BTW, as to Dee Flint's other comment in this thread, the "pros"
in electronics HAVE been informed of the code test elimination
since December, 2006. EDN and Electronic Design, both industry
trades of wide distribution, and SPECTRUM, the membership
magazine of the IEEE had news of that prior to 23 Feb 07. There
were brief mentions of it in various Pentron industry trade
news, even the occasional newspaper "filler" story around the
country. It wasn't known just to already-licensed radio amateurs
but to a larger segment of the electronics-oriented public.

Knowledge that Ham radio "exists" is nice, I suppose. Even better
would be that people understand that they might want to get involved.

Just one example might be APRS. Although I find it a little creepy,
helicoptering parents might find it interesting to know where their
offspring are. I'm pretty convinced that a PSK31 enabled 2 meter
"texter" radio would be popular among high schoolers and even older hams.
Something like that should have been available some years ago. You could
even combine it all into one unit.

This isn't rocket science, just pipe dreaming something that might
be an interesting element of the hobby. Who says that we all have to be
doing the same thing?

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo April 11th 07 09:22 AM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

What percentage of the general populace read EDN, Electronic Design,
and Spectrum? We can't rely on just one group of people (pros in
electronics) to provide stability or even growth. Just because a
person is an electronics pro doesn't necessarily mean that amateur
radio will tickle their fancy.

What percentage of the newspapers carried those fillers? Not many.
Of those, what percentage of people actually read the fillers tucked
in here and there in the newspaper?

We need to get the word out among the general populace not just
specialty groups.

Yes, pretty much! We also need to have our hobby in some position
to attract the general populous also. Some of the same type items that I
was writing about with Len.

I take my own situation as an example. I got into Ham radio as a
person who was interested in possible communications support and control
in matters relating to Amateur Astronomy. From there, it blossomed into
HF and to my surprise, some of the old (read hollow state) radios as well
as digital modes.

While we can say "You can communnicate with the world on HF, that
point might be lost on people who can pick up a cell phone and call most
anywhere in the world.

It might take a little while for the fact that we can do that
without any infrastructure to sink in. Once that happens, we got 'em hook
line and sinker.

The important thing is that we have to find something relevant to
the newbie to start with.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo April 11th 07 09:23 AM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

Paul W. Schleck " wrote in
:

[...]

This rings true for me, Paul.

I've been trying to talk my XYL into getting a license for a bit
now. Unfortunately she is convinced that my approach to the hobby is de
rigeur. She sees my pile of test equipment in the garage, and all the
homebrewing that I do, and has assumed that that is how Hams have to be.
I'm still working on convincing her that you don't have to be an ubergeek
to be a Ham.

It sure would be nice to have someone to talk to in the shack while
I'm in the backyard or on the roof tuning the antennas.... 8^)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Steve Bonine April 11th 07 02:51 PM

Larry wrote:

I bumped into this post after a couple of hours on Skype with a ham buddy
of mine in New Zealand. I was 5-9 for the whole QSO and I don't have an
antenna.

Who do we call "potential recruits" under these conditions? What's the
point, any more? (Please don't point me to that old BS about emergency
comms. I went right through the eye of Hurricane Hugo in Charleston in
1989, talking on Cellular One's AMPS bagphone to worried friends in Ohio as
I stood in the street, in the eye, looking up at the stars in a completely
destroyed neighborhood.

If I want to talk to a buddy in New Zealand, I'll pick up the telephone.
That does, indeed, provide me with pleasure and the satisfaction of
talking with a buddy in New Zealand. If I want to enjoy a different
kind of satisfaction, I'll walk into my ham shack and crank up the rig.
There, I might also experience the satisfaction of chewing the rag
with a buddy, or I might call CQ just to see who responds, or I might
see if I can snag that rare DX station, or check into a traffic net, or
help with the local Skywarn operations, or perform any number of other
tasks. From those I receive satisfaction.

You're right about the fact that if you view ham radio as the ability to
have a spoken conversation with another individual, there are better
ways to do that. Frankly, that's not the specific aspect of ham radio
that interests me; there's not even a microphone hooked up to my HF rig.

Another example: If I want to travel from Chicago to Kenosha, I'll jump
in my car or perhaps take the train. If I want the *trip* to be the
point, perhaps I'll use a motorboat. If I want to have a different kind
of experience and hone a skill that not everyone has, I'll join some
friends and race sailboats to Kenosha, enjoying the mental challenge of
figuring out what is the best course, rigging, and strategy based on
current wind and weather conditions. The fact that the most efficient
method of travelling from Chicago to Kenosha is not by sailboat does not
diminish the fun of sailing as a hobby.

The system is even better, now, unless, of course, the Illuminati use
thermite to take out the building the cellular switch is located in like
9/11 in NYC.

You are correct that communications infrastructure grows better and more
resilient as more and more money is poured into it. You are wrong that
it always survives a disaster.

I'm thrilled that you were able to wander through a hurricane chatting
on your cellphone. I can counter that story with the opposite one from
Katrina, where communications infrastructure disappeared from large
areas for long time periods. I can also tell you that FEMA, the Red
Cross, and other organizations are spending large sums of money to
prepare mobile equipment to move into place to take care of those
interruptions that you don't acknowledge. Ham radio does still have a
place in those sorts of events, even if it's not the same role that it
might have had a decade ago.

But that's not really the point. The point is that ham radio is a
multi-faceted hobby, with many different interest groups. That doesn't
mean that it's for everyone, but there's a lot more than chatting with a
buddy or supporting emergency communications.

73, Steve KB9X

Cecil Moore[_2_] April 11th 07 04:35 PM

Paul W. Schleck wrote:
Over the years, I have observed the following common reactions by the
lay public to ham radio publicity and recruitment:

- Oh, isn't that like CB?

I suspect that is the majority opinion among the lay public.
It's hard to explain the difference between a CB operator
and an amateur radio operator using a modified CB rig
on 10m with two inches chopped off the CB antenna. :-)
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Mike Coslo April 11th 07 06:46 PM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

Larry wrote in
:

"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

Changes in requirements don't have any effect
when the potential recruits have no idea that the hobby even exists.

I bumped into this post after a couple of hours on Skype with a ham
buddy of mine in New Zealand. I was 5-9 for the whole QSO and I don't
have an antenna.

Who do we call "potential recruits" under these conditions? What's
the point, any more? (Please don't point me to that old BS about
emergency comms.

Respectfully, your perspective on Amateur Radio is a bit narrow. It
isn't just about talking with other people. If all a person wanted to do
was talk, they are much better off picking up the phone. And they were
much better off a long time and on many other comm modes before Skype
came around.

I went right through the eye of Hurricane Hugo in
Charleston in 1989, talking on Cellular One's AMPS bagphone to worried
friends in Ohio as I stood in the street, in the eye, looking up at
the stars in a completely destroyed neighborhood.

1 data point. We had a snowstorm that took down most of the power
lines in our area a few years back. Everyone tried to call their worried
friends and took the cellular network down almost immediately. If cell
phones were reliable, they wouldn't spend all that money on emergency
comm systems.
If they stay up, that is great. Use 'em if you got 'em. (however
even if there is power, during emergencies they tend to get overloaded)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

AF6AY April 12th 07 10:09 AM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

"Dee Flint" wrote on Tue, 10 Apr 2007
22:31:17 EDT
"AF6AY" wrote in message

BTW, as to Dee Flint's other comment in this thread, the "pros"
in electronics HAVE been informed of the code test elimination
since December, 2006. EDN and Electronic Design, both industry
trades of wide distribution, and SPECTRUM, the membership
magazine of the IEEE had news of that prior to 23 Feb 07. There

What percentage of the general populace read EDN, Electronic Design, and
Spectrum? We can't rely on just one group of people (pros in electronics)
to provide stability or even growth.

The worldwide membership of the IEEE exceeds the number of licensed
active US radio amateurs. The electronics industry employs
millions in the USA alone. It is BIG.

Just because a person is an
electronics pro doesn't necessarily mean that amateur radio will tickle
their fancy.

That's true and observable in any corporate electronics engineering
environment. But, don't forget that the majority of those IN the
electronics engineering part of the industry got INTO it for the
fascination of the technology. It doesn't take a great deal of
persuasion to get them interested in the hobby aspects of radio
beyond scanners, beyond SWL, beyond WiFi, beyond WLANs. Indeed,
some of them get into robotics, a fun hobby for many...or they get
into audio. My MD General Practitioner is fascinated by speakers
and various ways to couple them for the highest-fi of sound, but
not INTO circuitry itself...despite being able to USE a number
of very high-tech electronic devices in his medical practice.

Those in wholesale and retail merchandising of electronics pay
attention to many phases of the electronics market, trying to
anticipate demand. They will also delete items that do not sell
well or where the local interest groups are too small for them
to make a profit in their business. My wife and I were out today
looking for a particular item of consumer electronics. One place,
a relatively new Best Buy store (built four years ago), was huge.
A mile and a half away is a Fry's Electronics, even bigger. In
observing the entire electronics retail industry for the last half
century, I've never seen any amateur radio outlet that approaches
their size.

What percentage of the newspapers carried those fillers? Not many.

Perhaps. I can only state that the Los Angeles TIMES has a
circulation of 1.4 million each day. Since more than one
person will read one issue, the number of readers here may
exceed 3 million.

Of
those, what percentage of people actually read the fillers tucked in here
and there in the newspaper?

I have no idea, not being in the journalism field. You might
try asking your own newspaper about that.

We need to get the word out among the general populace not just specialty
groups.

I will suggest you observe the Public Relations techniques of
the entertainment industry. They manage to get enormous PR
about entertainers, TV series, motion pictures, etc. Or any
advertising agency willing to talk about it (not that easy).
They KNOW about such things.

The first thing amateur radio MUST do is to LOSE the old, trite
cliche's of a half century ago used to "promote" amateur radio.
Almost all of that just doesn't work in this first decade of the
new millennium. We have one in three Americans with a cell phone.
CB users outnumber licensed radio amateurs by anywhere from 4:1
to 7:1, certainly so and larger on the nation's highways. We
get worldwide video feed from anywhere on the globe for TV news,
the only thing stopping some on late-breaking news is the crowding
of communications satellite transponders. We all were able to see
"videophone" pictures from inside Iraq during the first Gulf War
(a decade and a half ago). We can have VoIP anywhere that the
Internet is, which is sizeable on every continent. We have
wireless auto "keyless entry" locks by the millions in use every
day. We have Wireless LANs available in homes, not just
businesses. We have wireless door bells and the cell phone
"Bluetooth" short-range couplers to a teeny cell phone typified
by the strange growth some ardent users have in one ear. :-)

The general public - to me - doesn't seem to know exactly what
"shortwave" is, even less informed on what "HF" is. They know
about CB because such has been featured as an integral part of
one popular TV series ("Dukes of Hazard"), used in several major
motion pictures ("Convoy" and "Smokey and the Bandit" among the
bigger grossers). The best that can be said for showing amateur
radio is the film "Frequency," a fantasy tale of some kind of
time travel. Note, "Contact" starring Jodie Foster, was much
more science-fiction about first meeting with aliens even
though it had brief showing of amateur radio as part of the
story.

The general public can recognize cell site antennas and towers,
can understand that police and fire and other public safety
agencies USE radio as part of their work. They KNOW they can
choose a satellite relay service for their home TV instead of
going to cable; the little dishes are unmistakable. They
just don't have an appreciation for a "QRP ham rig that can
talk anywhere in the world," especially when that ham rig
requires just the right kind of ionospheric conditions to be
able to do that. In general, the public seems unaware of
shortwave broadcasts since they have plenty of standard AM
and FM broadcasting available in every US urban center.

The general public is much more aware of the skylines of many
urban neighborhoods interrupted by towers with beam antennas,
ungainly wire antennas strung as best a residence plot allows.
In general they think them ugly and unsuitable for a residential
neighborhood. In general they aren't going to be sold on some
tall tale of "those are 'necessary' for homeland defense!"
Besides the occasional RFI problem, the general public has a
negative opinion of amateur radio in their neighborhood...it
is their HOME territory, not a radio center.

Trying to talk up amateur radio to the general public
requires being AWARE of what the general public knows, NOT
what amateurs or membership organizations want. It isn't
publicity to promote ham radio to the general public if all
that is done is amateurs high-fiving one another on a "job
well done." It isn't "well done" to the public if they
reamin insular. Despite being an ARRL member, I cannot
(in truth) say that the ARRL has gotten out to the public.
If anything, NASA has done that much more on requesting
astronauts to get Technician class licenses to talk to
various public school groups from space. That's a NASA
PR ploy to keep the public aware of NASA activities...
and future NASA budgeting to keep the space biz going.

Walter Cronkhite as a narrator of an amateur radio video
about amateur radio is fine. But, it can't just be
shown to amateur radio clubs. It has to get OUT to the
public. At least sell the idea of showing the video as
a public service, something the stations are required to
do. So what if the showing is in the wee small hours of
the morning? SOME showing is better than NONE.

73, Len AF6AY

AF6AY April 12th 07 10:10 AM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

Mike Coslo wrote on Wed, 11 Apr 2007
04:22:00 EDT

"AF6AY" wrote in

Other than that, amateur radio licensee numbers MUST remain "up"
in order to indicate to the government there is a "presence" of
citizens in a sizeable number that deserves attention. There
are many different radio services regulated by the FCC and
amateur radio is a minority among those.

Agreed. I'm glad someone got that into this conversation. That we
have these allocations at all is a minor miracle. Numerical preservation
is one of the ways that we will keep them, IMO.

Yes, and proper politicking, too. Example: The model radio-
control channels on 72, 74 MHz. Model hobby organizations and
the model hobby industry fought for that and got them. No way
that model airplanes, boats, cars are "advancing the state of
the art" of vehicles nor is it even a scientific activity. It
is FUN to do. The Academy of Model Aeronautics in Ohio has
a quarter million members and that is only part of total
involved in model hobbies. It CAN be done without all the
high-sounding rhetoric. It is a PEOPLE-involved activity and
the numbers do make a difference.

Caveat: I live in a large urban population area, not unlike
the NYC-LI, Chicago, San Francisco ('Bay Area'), Seattle, etc.
areas. VHF-UHF at LOS paths works well in such areas. But,
there is another part of VHF-UHF radio activity that doesn't
quite have the parallel of HF DX hunting, in-person get-
togethers, spontaneous or planned.

From th etimes that I was out there, that would be VHF nirvana,
tall mountains and fairly flat valleys. I suspect the canyons might be a
little challenging tho'. Back here in PA we have nice mountains, but so
many foothills and corduroy valleys that make repeater work a little more
challenging. But even that can be overcome with effort and fairly deep
pockets. We have a very good local repeater system, with several polling
stations on the local mountains that vote on which signal gets to the
main repeater. A 300 mw HT cam be used over almost the entire county.

I don't know when you were in southern California area, but the
Condor Net began about 1977...back before microprocessors were
available to the hobbyist. On the "220" band, it uses subaudible
signalling to access any repeater path from just north of the Bay
Area (San Francisco) down south to L.A. and San Diego, over to
Arizona and one link to Nevada. All privately funded, all public
access, over 600 miles of all types of terrain, flat to mountains.

Those who operate above 30 MHz should never be
thought of or even considered as "second-class" amateurs
of the "shack on a belt" category.

Absolutely. I've often thought that there was a natural divide
between HF and VHF+. Disregarding 6 meters, which is kind of a mishmash,
it can almost be two different hobbies. I gravitate toward HF myself, but
there is cool stuff happening at VHF and above. And so what if a Hams
hobby is confined to "the repeater" anyhow?

There's an unfortunate stereotypical attitude, enforced by
years of publicity since before WW2 that ONLY HF is
"important" since that is where DX happens. HF is easier
to work with than VHF because "lumped" constants are used
to make identification and understanding easier. By the
UHF region it begins to be "distributed" constants, much
harder for the average ham to understand. But, VHF and
above can do some tricks that are physically impossible
for the average ham home owner...even if "DX" is a rarity.

Our situation is truly a "single data point". My thoughts on that are
that we are working hard to prove that with an inclusive atmosphere
(critical) and selling that sizzle, we seem to be making it work.

Whatever works on the local scenes is good. If it works, it works.

My main point is that with good representatives, Ham radio
shouldn't be a hard sell.

That is the HARD part! The OLD paradigms, the phrases, the
"new" phrases such as "vital to homeland defense" just don't
work with the general public. It hasn't worked enough so far.

As I remarked to Dee, NASA is doing more for ham radio PR than
the ARRL. Those astronauts who got Tech licenses didn't do so
"for the good of amateur radio." They got them because it was
a job requirement. NASA is doing its own PR since it is
publicly funded through the taxpayer.

Knowledge that Ham radio "exists" is nice, I suppose. Even better
would be that people understand that they might want to get involved.

Selling "sizzle" is a first step. Adding the "bacon" aroma
helps a lot. But the sizzle and aroma can NOT remain locked
inside ham club houses. That is NOT proper PR, despite it
making hams in those club houses feeling all good and
emotional.

This isn't rocket science, just pipe dreaming something that might
be an interesting element of the hobby. Who says that we all have to be
doing the same thing?

Ahem...several of the more vocal are dead set on continuing
all the old paradigms, confident that such is the "best" way.
It isn't. The number of NEW licensees arriving on the ham
scene is NOT keeping up with those expirations. It's been in
the statistics for at least three years now and is NOT just a
minor blip in the numbers.

73, Len AF6AY

Michael Coslo April 12th 07 07:32 PM

AF6AY wrote:

Trying to talk up amateur radio to the general public
requires being AWARE of what the general public knows, NOT
what amateurs or membership organizations want. It isn't
publicity to promote ham radio to the general public if all
that is done is amateurs high-fiving one another on a "job
well done." It isn't "well done" to the public if they
reamin insular. Despite being an ARRL member, I cannot
(in truth) say that the ARRL has gotten out to the public.
If anything, NASA has done that much more on requesting
astronauts to get Technician class licenses to talk to
various public school groups from space. That's a NASA
PR ploy to keep the public aware of NASA activities...
and future NASA budgeting to keep the space biz going.

Yup, NASA has gotten a lot more mileage out of the project than the ARS
has.

Walter Cronkhite as a narrator of an amateur radio video
about amateur radio is fine. But, it can't just be
shown to amateur radio clubs. It has to get OUT to the
public. At least sell the idea of showing the video as
a public service, something the stations are required to
do. So what if the showing is in the wee small hours of
the morning? SOME showing is better than NONE.

Another suggestion. most Cable systems have public service channels.
Amateur radio advocates should be able to tap into that.

There is one caveat, and I go into this with a bit of sensitivity here.
In my non-Ham life, I often put together productions that serve as
advertisements. The old adage of putting your best foot forward is
mandatory if you are going to get a message across. We often do not do that.

You don't need - or even want - the smartest Ham on the block. What you
need is an adept communicator. This erudite communicator needs to be
"prettied up" for the prospective audience. Wearing a "Hooters" T-shirt
ain't gonna cut it. I would probably wear a suit and tie (note not a
white shirt and skinny black tie). Maybe lose the jacket after a few
minutes. In similar form, we're trying to attract teenagers, we probably
don't want a kid with a tattoo on his forehead and a safety pin in his lip.

Why don't we want that local uberHam? In many (most?) cases they are
not very good communicators.(note the difference between communicating
and communicator) They are too close to the subject. If we're trying to
demonstrate HF comms for the unfamiliar, they don't need a lecture on
the third intercept point of whatever transceiver. Sometimes they want
to show how smart they are more than try to attract people.. Wanna scare
a prospective Ham away? Make them feel like they can do anything if they
aren't an engineer.

Focus the message, use a good communicator, and look approachable.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

[email protected] April 17th 07 06:56 PM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

I don't think that we are ever going to see Amateur Radio appeal to
the public at large. Fifty years ago it was difficult to phone
outside of your state, today I regularly call relatives in India, Iran
and Australia for free on Skype. Kids today who regularly chat with
other kids from around the globe on myspace will not be impressed with
a hard to hear ham contact with North Dakota.

I flew to India on business, turned on my standard US issued mobile/
cell phone in Mumbai airport and received a call from the US long
before I cleared customs. The customs agent just shrugged when he saw
my phone. Have you ever tried to take ham equipment into India or get
an Indian callsign? Just forget it unless you want to pay some
serious "facilitation fees."

The appeal of ham radio is almost historical, like being a classic car
buff, but it appeals only to certain segments of the population. I
doubt that the july 2003 record of hams will ever be broken, what
eliminating the code requirement does is hold the line on decline and
make it easier for those who want to try the hobby to try it.

Steve Bonine April 18th 07 05:16 AM

wrote:

I don't think that we are ever going to see Amateur Radio appeal to
the public at large.

It never did. Never will.

Fifty years ago it was difficult to phone outside of your state,

Even ten years ago, the cost of long distance telephone calls made them
"exotic" or "rare". Today, they're not. OK, fine . . . ham radio has
never been limited to just the ability to "talk" to people far away.

today I regularly call relatives in India, Iran
and Australia for free on Skype. Kids today who regularly chat with
other kids from around the globe on myspace will not be impressed with
a hard to hear ham contact with North Dakota.

Yep. So what can we find that *will* impress them? The technical
challenge of hooking up a computer to a radio? The challenge of being
able to use a digital mode using only a wetware modem? [I'm pitching CW
here, for those who might miss it.] Satellites? Helping develop new
modes of radio communication? The thrill of tossing a CQ out and not
knowing who will respond?

I honestly do not know. We need to somehow communicate the fact that
"ham radio" is not synonymous with "talking to someone far away" because
this generation knows that the way to "talk to someone far away" is to
simply open their cell phone.

The appeal of ham radio is almost historical, like being a classic car
buff, but it appeals only to certain segments of the population.

I think that the analogy with collecting is flawed, but I can support
the "classic" concept. A better analogy for me is sailing. Obviously
the best way to get from point A to point B is *not* by using a
sailboat, but I think that interest in recreational sailing is doing
pretty well.

Ham radio will never appeal to a broad segment of the population. It
never has. But the more facets of the hobby we can get in front of the
general population, the better chance we have of attracting a few of
them into the hobby.

I doubt that the july 2003 record of hams will ever be broken, what
eliminating the code requirement does is hold the line on decline and
make it easier for those who want to try the hobby to try it.

Oddly enough, leisure-time pursuits are cyclical. It's not beyond the
realm of possibility that ham radio might "catch on" at some point, at
least for a while, especially now that the code requirement is gone.

If it doesn't . . . well, then it doesn't. I'd love to see an influx of
younger people into the hobby, but if that doesn't happen, I'll be long
dead before it dies completely.

Kind of like Usenet grin

Michael Coslo April 18th 07 05:37 PM

wrote:

I don't think that we are ever going to see Amateur Radio appeal to
the public at large.

Probably not. Do we want to? Much of what passes "interesting" for the
public at large is not interesting to people such as myself. After all,
we can only handle so much of "Star Search".

Fifty years ago it was difficult to phone
outside of your state, today I regularly call relatives in India, Iran
and Australia for free on Skype. Kids today who regularly chat with
other kids from around the globe on myspace will not be impressed with
a hard to hear ham contact with North Dakota.

The ability to talk to someone across the world through a gargantuan
network is everyday stuff now.

The magic is to be able to do it with no more structure that provided
by a few components made from essentially refined dirt is the magic part
of the whole thing.

If what people want to do is yak at each other, the Telephone is great,
and audio chat rooms allow for an internet based talking experience. No
thanks.

If however, you enjoy putting a station together, homebrewing and
experimentation with the same end in mind, technical acumen
accumulation, Emergency comms, or just dealing with a mostly fine group
of people, then maybe Amateur Radio is for you.

I flew to India on business, turned on my standard US issued mobile/
cell phone in Mumbai airport and received a call from the US long
before I cleared customs. The customs agent just shrugged when he saw
my phone. Have you ever tried to take ham equipment into India or get
an Indian callsign? Just forget it unless you want to pay some
serious "facilitation fees."

Sounds like a Amateur - unfriendly place. Too bad that!

The appeal of ham radio is almost historical, like being a classic car
buff, but it appeals only to certain segments of the population.

Some parts are historical. And the hobby is all the richer for it. I
enjoy my modern synthesized, memory laden and DSP aided radios, and I
enjoy my old time tube rigs, which have a lot of "cool factor".

Other parts are every bit as modern as the internet. Actually even more so.

doubt that the july 2003 record of hams will ever be broken, what
eliminating the code requirement does is hold the line on decline and
make it easier for those who want to try the hobby to try it.

I think it will at some point. It is up to us to sell the sizzle of Ham
radio to those who might appreciate it.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Ivor Jones April 18th 07 06:37 PM

wrote:

I don't think that we are ever going to see Amateur
Radio appeal to the public at large.

Probably not. Do we want to? Much of what passes
"interesting" for the public at large is not interesting
to people such as myself. After all, we can only handle so much of "Star
Search".

Fifty years ago it was difficult to phone
outside of your state, today I regularly call relatives
in India, Iran and Australia for free on Skype. Kids
today who regularly chat with other kids from around
the globe on myspace will not be impressed with a hard
to hear ham contact with North Dakota.

Hey, *I'd* like to be able to talk to someone in North Dakota..! A bit
difficult on 70cm from here though g

The ability to talk to someone across the world through a
gargantuan network is everyday stuff now.

Even so, I still get stopped in the street if I'm using my 70cm
handportable. Notably the other week by a couple of police officers who
were wondering what I was up to..! (If I were doing something "shifty"
would I be drawing attention to myself by using a UHF radio, or would I be
mumbling into a phone like the other 30 people walking by on the
street..?!)

The magic is to be able to do it with no more structure
that provided by a few components made from essentially refined dirt is
the magic part of the whole thing.

If what people want to do is yak at each other, the
Telephone is great, and audio chat rooms allow for an
internet based talking experience. No thanks.

A valid opinion, but there are alternatives. One of my other interests is
old telephones. Most people here will have heard of VoIP (Voice over IP)
telephony. The vast majority of this is run by commercial networks, rather
along the lines of mobile/cellular phone providers, i.e. you pay so much a
month and get a phone number etc.

There is, however, a completely separate network run by and for those who
are interested in hooking up their phone systems. Many people around the
world, including myself, collect and restore old phones, and some even
have complete old electromechanical Strowger-type ex-public exchanges, for
example there's a guy I know in Wales who has a complete 1929 exchange up
and running in his house..!

Someone thought "wouldn't it be great if we could hook these up and
actually use these old phones to actually talk to one another rather than
sitting on shelves in a museum type environment" and so the Collector's
Network (CNET)
http://www.ckts.info was born. There are people from all
over the world on it, anyone can call anyone else completely free, and
there are several gateways from the PSTN so anyone anywhere can call in
and dial someone's old phone somewhere..!

If however, you enjoy putting a station together,
homebrewing and experimentation with the same end in
mind, technical acumen accumulation, Emergency comms, or just dealing
with a
mostly fine group of people, then maybe Amateur Radio is for you.

I like talking to people direct, with little or no other infrastructure in
the way. Ok I'll chat on the local repeater if I'm mobile, but I prefer to
work direct.

I flew to India on business, turned on my standard US
issued mobile/ cell phone in Mumbai airport and
received a call from the US long before I cleared
customs. The customs agent just shrugged when he saw
my phone. Have you ever tried to take ham equipment
into India or get an Indian callsign? Just forget it
unless you want to pay some serious "facilitation
fees."

Sounds like a Amateur - unfriendly place. Too bad that!

The appeal of ham radio is almost historical, like
being a classic car buff, but it appeals only to
certain segments of the population.

That applies to almost every hobby, surely..?

Some parts are historical. And the hobby is all the
richer for it. I enjoy my modern synthesized, memory laden and DSP aided
radios, and I enjoy my old time tube rigs, which have a
lot of "cool factor".
Other parts are every bit as modern as the internet.
Actually even more so.

One of my favourite aspects of the hobby was packet radio. I ran a BBS
here for 11 years, but it eventually died through sheer lack of interest
on the part of the users. I think there were only 2 or 3 regulars left
(compared with over 80 in its heyday) at the end. The internet killed it
off; why bother with a 2m radio and TNC when you can just send an email or
connect to usenet..?

73 Ivor G6URP

AF6AY April 18th 07 11:31 PM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

Steve Bonine wrote on Wed, 18 Apr 2007 00:16:53 EDT

wrote:

I don't think that we are ever going to see Amateur Radio appeal to
the public at large.

It never did. Never will.

I agree. However, I would like to see it publicized a bit
more before the public so that the public gets an all-
around image of amateur radio rather than the stereotypical
one that has been around for half a century.

Fifty years ago it was difficult to phone outside of your state,

Even ten years ago, the cost of long distance telephone calls made them
"exotic" or "rare". Today, they're not. OK, fine . . . ham radio has
never been limited to just the ability to "talk" to people far away.

I disagree a bit. Having seen advertisements and amateur
radio magazine article contents for a half century, one
of the most prominent features could be summed up in the
phrase "work DX on HF with CW." :-)

Antennas, transceivers seem to have always mentioned "DX,"
"ability to work the 'rare' ones," "a DX-ers dream" and
other assorted wish-fulfillment phrases designed to sell
goods.

... Kids today who regularly chat with
other kids from around the globe on myspace will not be impressed with
a hard to hear ham contact with North Dakota.

Yep. So what can we find that *will* impress them?

One way might be the amazed surprise that accompanies
actually BUILDING a radio "from scratch" and making it
work. Anyone can, and many do, just buy a radio or
consumer electronics and the vast majority of those work
right out of the box. Building, with one's own hands,
everything, even from a kit, can be a creative
satisfaction to the majority. The Michael's chain of
arts and crafts store became a success at selling
that kind of creativity.

A few activites such as fox-hunting might be appealing
from the fun of transferring a kid's game ("tag, you're
it", etc.) to more useful pursuits of adulthood (besides
chasing the opposite sex that is, a whole different
endeavor). There's an element of competitiveness in that,
albeit mild. Younger people tend towards competitive
events and "joining teams." It's essentially an outdoors
activity, not "nerdish" sitting still in front of computers.

The technical challenge of hooking up a computer to a radio?

Not quite that simplistic. Writing (developing, really)
a program FOR a radio-computer interface has direct
application which can be very personalized to user
requirements. That can be VERY creative...especially
if the program result can be used by many others.

Satellites?

No. To a twentysomething of today they have "always had"
communications satellites.

Helping develop new modes of radio communication?

Not quite. To do the "new" one needs to understand what
is here and available now. We have so much of the "now"
that a beginner would not know all of it.

The thrill of tossing a CQ out and not knowing who will respond?

Perhaps. A form of that happens on many personal websites
of today...except that users there do not have license call-
signs. With most users being anonymous, others don't really
know who they are. With amateur licensees one will know
after looking such up on a callsign CD or a website such as
QRZ. A following QSL card, even if a week or two late,
will provide confirmation of that contact.

I honestly do not know. We need to somehow communicate the fact that
"ham radio" is not synonymous with "talking to someone far away" because
this generation knows that the way to "talk to someone far away" is to
simply open their cell phone.

Steve, "your" generation (and even later) are already using
cell phones besides the teen-agers. :-) And they are talking
short-range, medium-range, and long-range on those phones,
even with those strange ear-growths based on Bluetooth.

I think that the analogy with collecting is flawed, but I can support
the "classic" concept. A better analogy for me is sailing. Obviously
the best way to get from point A to point B is *not* by using a
sailboat, but I think that interest in recreational sailing is doing
pretty well.

Allow me to draw a communications parallel in analogies.
The BBS (Bulletin Board System) began in earnest shortly
after the first "hefty" (memory larger than 48K bytes)
personal computers appeared, roughly in the decade from
1982 to 1992 (give or take). I was a part of that then
and really got "into" it. BBS-ing attracted tens of
thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, not just in the
USA but worldwide...doing what USENET wanted to be before
the Internet became public and carried it. It was a huge
success with many different BBS intersts...social, technical,
work-oriented (especially with writers), special-interest
groups, you name it. Yes, there were the sexual aspects
but those were actually a minority of all the different
BBS groups.

About the same time, also in larger urban centers, "repeater
clubs" started up, perhaps a bit more chummy than the older
ham clubs since the 'VHFers' were less interested in reaching
out to foreign lands as were the older "DXers." They were
primarily social get-together clubs, much the same as the
social BBSs.

The Internet going public in 1991 halted the BBS expansion
as subscribers shifted from BBSs to the 'web. There was
much more to offer on the Internet...BBSs couldn't keep up
much less try to match it. But, the repeater clubs still
exist, at least here in southern California. Some illustrate
their gatherings and picnics on their websites.

Ham radio will never appeal to a broad segment of the population.

Then I would say that the old, out-dated stereotypical
"we are the heroes of disasters and emergencies" bragging
ought to be put away. The public that has been IN such
events is aware of who helped them and who didn't.

But the more facets of the hobby we can get in front of the
general population, the better chance we have of attracting a few of
them into the hobby.

True enough to me. But, PR smarts are needed for promotion,
those who can "feel the pulse of the public, the market" and
have been successful in doing PR. Marketeers are always in
front of the public, in competition with existing activities
that don't "reach out" enough.

Oddly enough, leisure-time pursuits are cyclical. It's not beyond the
realm of possibility that ham radio might "catch on" at some point, at
least for a while, especially now that the code requirement is gone.

I really doubt that it will catch on now. So far, the trend
shown in stats is for upgrading, not newcomers. I see the
dropping of the code requirement as 12 to 20 years late.
The interest in ham radio is primarily among those who are
already involved in some form of radio or who are well
acquainted with those who are in radio.

If it doesn't . . . well, then it doesn't.

That's how it can be... :-)

I'd love to see an influx of
younger people into the hobby, but if that doesn't happen, I'll be long
dead before it dies completely.

Well, this whole PUSH to "get the younger people in" might
be more of wishful thinking by old-timers, themselves thinking
that "all young people" were like they of a long time ago.
I hear/see no real push to sustain youngsters once they got a
taste of the activity. SUSTAINING the interest is important
for that adult group to weather all their other responsibilities
(job, family, etc.) to reach old-timer stage and retirement,
along with some cash to spend on expensive radio toys (that
sustains the market for radio goods producers for everyone).

These "younger people" already have a wealth of competitive
ways to communicate at their disposal. Stuff that neither you
nor I nor any old-timer had when we were young. Old-timers
will decry and denigrate "youngsters" current interests (it
happens with every generation) but that is absolutely *NOT*
the way to approach these younger people. They have to be
touched on their level, not the nostalgia of old-timers
exaggerating their own personal experiences of a bygone era.

To get that influx of younger people, they have to be SOLD
on it. Selling is NOT helped by showing off their middle-
aged selves as "role models of excellence." Younger people
will simply reject that. They could care less if a ham has
personally contacted half the world's hams or been IN amateur
radio since the year dot...if they look "old" they've lost
points before they start.

SELLING requires controlled enthusiasm, "controlled" insofar
as touching younger people on their terms, not the salesman's.
Good salespeople are a bit like actors. They have to assume
a ROLE and do it as natural as possible in that role. Those
"actors" won't win awards to take home, but they can win
awards to carry with them inside for a long time.

73, Len AF6AY

[email protected] April 19th 07 02:02 AM

On Apr 18, 12:16�am, Steve Bonine wrote:
wrote:
I don't think that we are ever going to see Amateur Radio appeal to
the public at large.

It never did. *Never will.

That's true.

*Fifty years ago it was difficult to phone outside of your state,

Even ten years ago, the cost of long distance telephone calls made
them "exotic" or "rare".
*Today, they're not. *OK, fine . . . ham radio has
never been limited to just the ability to "talk" to people far away.

The big attraction is, and always has been, "radio for its own sake",
IMHO. The journey more than the destination.

For most people, how a communication gets somewhere doesn't
matter - they're interested in the content only. For most radio
amateurs,
the method matters greatly.

It's like the difference between riding in an airliner and flying your
own
small aircraft. Both will get you from Point A to Point B, and in fact
the
airliner is almost always less expensive, faster, and easier. But it's
not
the same thing.

today I regularly call relatives in India, Iran
and Australia for free on Skype. *Kids today who regularly chat with
other kids from around the globe on myspace will not be impressed
with a hard to hear ham contact with North Dakota.

That depends on the kids and how amateur radio is presented.

On Monday, thousands of runners finished the Boston Marathon.
26.22 miles in rainy windy weather. The winner finished in 2 hours
14 minutes and some seconds.

If you just want to get from Hopkinton to Boston, there are lots of
ways
that are easier and faster than running. So why do so many thousands
run the Boston Marathon, and many others?

Yep. *So what can we find that *will* impress them? *

It's not about impressing people. It's about finding those who
will be *interested* in "radio for its own sake".

The technical
challenge of hooking up a computer to a radio?

Some will be interested in that.

*The challenge of being
able to use a digital mode using only a wetware modem? *[I'm pitching CW
here, for those who might miss it.]

Some will be interested in that.

*Satellites? *Helping develop new
modes of radio communication? *The thrill of tossing a CQ out and not
knowing who will respond?

Some will be interested in all of those, too.

I honestly do not know. *We need to somehow communicate the fact that
"ham radio" is not synonymous with "talking to someone far away"
because
this generation knows that the way to "talk to someone far away" is to
simply open their cell phone.

The main factor is "radio for its own sake". An end in itself, not a
means
to an end. That's the selling point.

Most won't get it. A few will. It is those few we are after.

The appeal of ham radio is almost historical, like being a classic car
buff, but it appeals only to certain segments of the population.

I think that the analogy with collecting is flawed, but I can support
the "classic" concept. *A better analogy for me is sailing. *Obviously
the best way to get from point A to point B is *not* by using a
sailboat, but I think that interest in recreational sailing is doing
pretty well.

Excellent example! Now think about *why* someone would bother
with a sailboat nowadays. It's certainly not about speed, nor ease
of sailing, nor saving money. Sailing requires different skills than
power boating, and arguably more skill and knowledge overall. Yet
the attraction remains. Why?

Ham radio will never appeal to a broad segment of the population. *It
never has. *But the more facets of the hobby we can get in front of the
general population, the better chance we have of attracting a few of
them into the hobby.

That's 100% correct. It's also the challenge, because amateur radio
has so many facets and activities that it isn't always easy to quickly
describe.

I doubt that the july 2003 record of hams will ever be broken, what
eliminating the code requirement does is hold the line on decline and
make it easier for those who want to try the hobby to try it.

Oddly enough, leisure-time pursuits are cyclical. *It's not beyond the
realm of possibility that ham radio might "catch on" at some point, at
least for a while, especially now that the code requirement is gone.

Perhaps. But for that to happen, people have to know amateur radio
exists, and all the things it does. That's hard to put into a 30
second
spot or a sound bite.

As it looks right now, the removal of the last remnants of Morse Code
testing in the USA have not caused any great amount of new growth.
But it's been less than two months - probably too early to tell.

If it doesn't . . . well, then it doesn't. *I'd love to see an influx of
younger people into the hobby, but if that doesn't happen, I'll be long
dead before it dies completely.

There *are* younger people coming into amateur radio all the time.
The reason you may not see so many of them, IMHO, is that they
don't have the same situations as in previous generations.

One thing I hear from time to time is that if you look around at a ham
radio club meeting or hamfest, you don't see a lot of young people.
And that's generally true, but not because there aren't a lot of
younger
amateurs.

Most of the "younger people" I know (under the age of, say, 50 or 60)
simply don't get as many large blocks of predictable free time as
their
counterparts of 20, 30, 40, or 50 years ago got. Those in school have
a lot of competing activities, like sports, jobs, homework, etc.
Others
are often dealing with two-career relationships, aging parents,
spouses, ex-spoused, blended families, etc.

The result is that a lot of people have plenty of free time - in small
pieces that happen at odd and uncontrollable intervals. That's one of
the big selling points of computers, email and the internet - it's
ready
when you are, for a minute or an hour.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Steve Bonine April 19th 07 04:48 AM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

AF6AY wrote:

You'll pardon me for only picking one part of your article to discuss.

Then I would say that the old, out-dated stereotypical
"we are the heroes of disasters and emergencies" bragging
ought to be put away.

While I do agree that some of the material that comes out of disasters
is overblown, sometimes people do *earn* the right to brag. When folks
put a lot of hours into helping out in disasters they deserve recognition.

Why is it so bad to highlight a positive aspect of the hobby? It's not
the *only* aspect of the hobby, but hams still do help in disasters.
It's one of the few things that we do that the general public can
actually relate to. How do you get the general public excited about the
thrill of snagging a rare DX station or working your 100th country or
even building a radio? But people relate to cell phones that don't work
and hams' ability to communicate in those conditions. The fact that
cell phones are more reliable these days and hams' capabilities are not
needed as often doesn't diminish the message.

The public that has been IN such
events is aware of who helped them and who didn't.

They might have an idea what *agency* helped them. But the public has
no particular awareness of the infrastructure that facilitated that
help. They might understand that a Red Cross feeding vehicle provided
them a meal; they don't understand or care how that crew communicated
with their headquarters.

With Katrina, the Red Cross found itself with 200+ shelters and no
communications with them. Hams helped. Did the people in the shelters
know that? In most cases they did not, as there was no reason for them
to care how the communications were accomplished.

Don't get me wrong . . . I'm not saying that every ham needs to
participate in emergency communications, or that hams are the major
players in every disaster. But in spite of the great strides that have
been made in making the communications infrastructure more robust,
Mother Nature can still throw a sufficiently hard punch to cause severe
disruption, and ham radio operators do still play a role in such
situations. If the hobby can benefit from accurate, well-written
accounts of those activities, what's wrong with that? It's something
good that real people do with their real time and resources, and they
should get real recognition for it.

AF6AY April 19th 07 05:39 AM

On Apr 18, 7:48�pm, Steve Bonine wrote:
AF6AY wrote:

You'll pardon me for only picking one part of your article to discuss.

* *Then I would say that the old, out-dated stereotypical
* *"we are the heroes of disasters and emergencies" bragging
* *ought to be put away.

While I do agree that some of the material that comes out of disasters
is overblown, sometimes people do *earn* the right to brag. *When folks
put a lot of hours into helping out in disasters they deserve recognition.

Oh, I agree with that, no sweat. What I didn't make clear were
all the others who haven't worked an "emergency" at all and
attach themselves to one.

Why is it so bad to highlight a positive aspect of the hobby? *It's not
the *only* aspect of the hobby, but hams still do help in disasters.

Yes, some hams do help. I'm not saying none do. But, the
average citizen has been seen helping out in emergencies
and disasters, voluntarily, and get little attention for that.
Why should there be more attention paid to someone who
once took a radio test and has some radio gear available?

*The public that has been IN such
* *events is aware of who helped them and who didn't.

They might have an idea what *agency* helped them. *But the public has
no particular awareness of the infrastructure that facilitated that
help. *They might understand that a Red Cross feeding vehicle provided
them a meal; they don't understand or care how that crew communicated
with their headquarters.

During the 17 January 1994 Northridge Earthquake aftermath,
FEMA set up a "true" bulletin board at one center for victims.
Several TV screens showing slow pan-circle shots moving
across handwritten messages from family and friends. Watchers
could get a very strong ID from the handwriting in the message.
That was a lot more ID than some "radiogram" form or a
stranger relaying a message over the phone.

Don't get me wrong . . . I'm not saying that every ham needs to
participate in emergency communications, or that hams are the major
players in every disaster. *But in spite of the great strides that have
been made in making the communications infrastructure more robust,
Mother Nature can still throw a sufficiently hard punch to cause severe
disruption, and ham radio operators do still play a role in such
situations.

IF and only IF the radio amateur's equipment ALSO survives.

Familiarity with only ham equipment doesn't automatically
mean certain items of "robust" ham equipment will survive
anything. I've been there and seen the REAL robust stuff
pass environmental tests. Consumer electronics grade,
such as most ham gear, isn't going to sail through without
damage.

*If the hobby can benefit from accurate, well-written
accounts of those activities, what's wrong with that?

Of course it can. But, one can also write a news thing
many different ways, arranging words to imply lots of
different things. As a student of wordsmithing, as one
who has gotten pay for writing, and after having read
way too much advertising literature, I can spot most of
those right off. :-(

Look to the ARRL for being masters of the above on
their "Letter" of every week. The ARRL does good as a
membership organization but sometimes they DO "sin
by omission" on news.

News stories have got to get OUT of the insular "news
world" of amateur radio in order to reach the PUBLIC.

73, Len AF6AY

xxx April 19th 07 12:41 PM

Before and After Cessation of Code Testing

In article ,
Steve Bonine wrote:

Yep. So what can we find that *will* impress them? The technical
challenge of hooking up a computer to a radio? The challenge of being
able to use a digital mode using only a wetware modem? [I'm pitching CW
here, for those who might miss it.] Satellites? Helping develop new
modes of radio communication? The thrill of tossing a CQ out and not
knowing who will respond?

I honestly do not know. We need to somehow communicate the fact that
"ham radio" is not synonymous with "talking to someone far away" because
this generation knows that the way to "talk to someone far away" is to
simply open their cell phone.

[...]

Once upon a time, ham radio was a great source of innovation. I
remember hearing about how this or that essential device that we now
take for granted was invented / improved upon / perfected / etc. by hams
who did that sort of thing as part of their hobby. It has been a very
long time since I last heard that said. Ham radio ceased to be forward
looking and innovative and has devolved into something more akin to
stamp collecting - interesting to practitioners, useless to the world at
large.

Ham radio will not grow until and unless it is seen to provide value
to the larger community. Once, it was considered to be a source of
competitive advantage to the economy by contributing to the
technological base (a post-Sputnik point of view). My guess is that the
FCC was willing to ignore the complaints of the ARRL and the old Morse
code cultists because they (the FCC) see it that way, as well.

AF6AY April 20th 07 04:47 AM

xxx wrote on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 07:41:27 EDT:

Steve Bonine wrote:

... knowing who will respond?

I honestly do not know. We need to somehow communicate the fact that
"ham radio" is not synonymous with "talking to someone far away" because
this generation knows that the way to "talk to someone far away" is to
simply open their cell phone.

[...]

Once upon a time, ham radio was a great source of innovation. I
remember hearing about how this or that essential device that we now
take for granted was invented / improved upon / perfected / etc. by hams
who did that sort of thing as part of their hobby. It has been a very
long time since I last heard that said.

"Once upon a time" is approximately the time period prior to
World War II...the first 44 years of "radio" as a communications
medium. Trying to judge progress in a technology area involving
hobbyists solely by the information contained in hobbyist
publications is inaccurate, if not outright braggadocio by
hobbyists. "Radio" as a communications medium is now 111 years
old. The innovation, invention, and quantum-jumps in increases
of the communications (and radio) arts of the last 67 years have
totally eclipsed those early pioneering days done by everyone
involved with any RF emission activity. Some of the highlights:

1. "Discovery of 'shortwaves' enabling worldwide communications:
Already known by non-hobbyist technologists. Radio amateurs
were forced upwards in frequency use by politics, not
pioneering. It was fortuitous for amateurs, yes, but not
necessarily of their own and objected-to at the time by
amateurs.

2. SSB: Already used in wireline communications by long-distance
telephony providers in the 1920s; use on HF as "carrier" (multi-
channel) service by commercial and government groups in the
1930s.
Single-channel SSB given boost by USAF contracts for such in the
immediate-post-WWII time.

3. Quartz crystal control of frequency: Already known by
academics
and other physical standards workers; WWII needs resulted in
mass-
production of crystal units reaching a million units per month;
synthetic (man-made) quartz crystal growth perfected by industry
in the 1950s. Growth techniques helped the semiconductor
industry with similar growth of germanium and silicon ingots.

4. VHF FM voice: Pioneering already begun about 1938 by industry
to improve Public Safety mobile communications and adopted by
military for universal manpack and vehicular radio in WWII;
broadcasting use pioneered by Edwin Armstrong in 1930s for
broadcasting industry applications, including music.

5. Superheterodyne receivers: Invention of Edwin Armstrong in
1918, led to almost universal use of superheterodyne
architecture
in receivers to the present day in all radio services.

6. Quartz and mechanical-torsion-resonator narrow bandpass
filters:
Originally developed by telephony industry for "carrier" long-
distance wireline and multi-channel RF communications providers;
development of "modern filter theory" spurred by this same
application plus long-distance frequency-multiplexed microwave
radio relay (transcontinental service). Adoption to most radio
architectures possible by man-grown quartz crystal blanks (3).

7. "Channelized" (step-increment) frequency control of Rx, Tx:
First wide use in DoD/USAF contracts for post-WWII single-
channel SSB, followed shortly thereafter by air carrier and
general aviation radionavigation and radio communications.

8. Use of internal ("embedded") microprocessors for general
purpose control of function and frequency: Almost simultaneous
in both test equipment and various radio communications services
beginning about the mid-1970s. Such enabled reduced interior
space, number of total components by eliminating mechanical
couplings of controls. Adjunct advantage of providing displays
of controls settings and mathematical results of some functions
heretofore unavailable with older methods.

9. Digital Signal Processing (DSP): Probable first widespread use
for submarine and anti-submarine military use, typically SONAR
variations. Followed closely by applications to "music
synthesizers" and similar (PC sound cards) and consumer
electronics and instrumentation displays. This and item (8)
made possible by Large Scale Integration of solid-state
devices beginning their explosive growth in the mid-1970s.

The preceding items are just a short list of major innovations as
they apply to common amateur radio use of today. It does not begin
to cover major innovations in all electronics, including
applications
to medicine and architectural engineering nor the physical
standards
organizations worldwide.

Ham radio ceased to be forward
looking and innovative and has devolved into something more akin to
stamp collecting - interesting to practitioners, useless to the world at
large.

"Xxx," to paraphrase Hans Brakob, I would "throw that out with
great force."

The activity of amateur radio is basically a hobby, an activity
done primarily for personal enjoyment...worldwide, I might add.
It is a fascinating one, a technically-challenging one, one of
use in communicating with like-minded enthusiasts, local to
worldwide. Hobbies are FUN for their participants. There is
nothing at all "wrong" with having FUN doing anything, whether
stamp collecting, rebuilding classic cars, flying model aircraft
by radio control, or being advisors for Scouts.

Radio amateurs, by and large, are not into amateur radio for the
sake of being inventors, scientific researchers, manufacturers
of radio-electronics devices, or being emergency and disaster
volunteers. They CAN, of course, as can any citizen without an
amateur radio license.

I could cite an equally-long list of "post-Sputnik" innovations
that have appeared in amateur radio use and technology, done by
radio amateurs themselves. Some, if not most, are citizens of
other countries. However, the more widely-used innovations and
inventions has, from the beginning, come from academicians,
engineers and producers in the electronics industry, and
communications providers. The history of all that explosive
growth has been continually documented in hundreds of trade
journals, professional associations, and scientific journals.
It isn't exclusive to appearing in amateur radio interest
publications.

Ham radio will not grow until and unless it is seen to provide value
to the larger community. Once, it was considered to be a source of
competitive advantage to the economy by contributing to the
technological base (a post-Sputnik point of view).

Please feel free to document all those "advantages to the
economy." I see very few such cases of the last 111 years of
"radio." What I have seen are a number of claims for same
that very conveniently "sin by omission" [of incorrect
attribution to the overall world of radio and electronics]...
something that marketeers know by the simple acronym of "PR."

My guess is that the
FCC was willing to ignore the complaints of the ARRL and the old Morse
code cultists because they (the FCC) see it that way, as well.

I must disagree with that as well. Since the FCC must regulate
ALL United States civil radio RF emissions, they are chartered
to be aware and informed of almost everything in regards to
"radio." They DO that on a technical level, including having an
Office of Engineering and Technology for their own advisement.
The FCC is aware of nearly ALL radio use, not only in the USA
but worldwide (we are globally interconnected in many
communications ways). The FCC also asks for advice on use and
technology and, as chartered by law, input from ALL citizens.
Such "input" is made available to the public at large, freely.

Anyone can fault the FCC for some alleged political bias. That
is frequent and also many-sided. Such is normal in politics,
but it is not per se some "truth." The ARRL ("my" club) is
no more a paragon of truth than any membership organization
and the FCC is not bound to 'obey' the ARRL 'advice' than any
other special-interest group.

The FCC made a decision on a contentious subject in amateur
radio license examinations. The FCC has the final say on who
is licensed and who is not. The public comment period was long
and over 3,700 citizens commented. The FCC took about a year
to reach a decision on the matter, then made it law by legal
means. Let us accept that and go forward.

Len AF6AY