Old May 18th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default i need recommendations

Im getting my shack started and need some input on a good sturdy mobile for
2 meter. Ive looked at several alinco ones and like what I see. Also what
does everyone think of the icom v82 ht? Also is a 7 amp power supply enough
to run a mobile?

Old May 18th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 18, 4:41 am, "Dan" wrote:

Im getting my shack started and need some input on a good sturdy mobile for
2 meter. Ive looked at several alinco ones and like what I see. Also what
does everyone think of the icom v82 ht? Also is a 7 amp power supply enough
to run a mobile?

I'd recommend you consider a dual-bander for mobile work. There are
many very rugged designs out there (my favorite is Icom 2720 or their
newer 2820). The reason I recommend a dual bander is because 2M
activity has dropped off a lot in many areas, while 440 is very
active.

Can't comment on the V82.

For mobile work, you won't need a power supply. If you're using the
rig as a base station, then a good well filtered and regulated 7 amp
supply should cover you, but my experience is the supplies that small
are often cheaply built. What brand/model is it?

73, RDW

Old May 18th 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"RDWeaver" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 18, 4:41 am, "Dan" wrote:

[...]

If the radio puts out 50 watts, you will need a power supply that can supply
at least 10 amps.

Dee, N8UZE

Old May 18th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Dan" wrote in message

Im getting my shack started and need some input on a good
sturdy mobile for 2 meter. Ive looked at several alinco
ones and like what I see. Also what does everyone think
of the icom v82 ht? Also is a 7 amp power supply enough
to run a mobile?

I have an Icom V82, I have the UHF U82 as well and they're great radios.
The only complaints I have about them are cosmetic; firstly the keypad is
not backlit, so it's hard to see what buttons you're pressing in the dark,
also the keypad is not arranged in the normal layout, the * 0 and # keys
are to the right of the numbers not underneath as with phones and other
equipment. But performance wise they're fine.

Power supplies, 7A is a little small, I'd go for at least 15A. As to
mobile recommendations, I have the Icom IC2725 which is great. The front
panel is removable so you can put the main body under a seat and just clip
the front panel to the dash, but of course if you just want it for the
shack this is less important.

73 Ivor G6URP

Old May 18th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Dan" wrote in message
Im getting my shack started and need some input on a good sturdy mobile
for
2 meter. Ive looked at several alinco ones and like what I see. Also what
does everyone think of the icom v82 ht? Also is a 7 amp power supply
enough
to run a mobile?

I concur with the other's recommendation.

I use a Yaesu FT8800 and like the dual band (simultaneous reception and
linking) capabilities.
I could use a 440 low power ht to key the mobile and transmit at higher
power on 2 meters.

Because FM requires continuous power, I recommend that you have a power
supply capable of 15 amperes ICS if you plan to use it in your shack. If
you want to use it to power a 100 watt transceiver as well plus some
additional accessories, get a 50 amp supply, but in either
case, be certain to evaluate how much rf interference a switching supply
puts out.

Ed, N5EI

Old May 18th 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Edward Feustel" wrote

Because FM requires continuous power, I recommend that you have a power
supply capable of 15 amperes ICS if you plan to use it in your shack. If
you want to use it to power a 100 watt transceiver as well plus some
additional accessories, get a 50 amp supply, but in either
case, be certain to evaluate how much rf interference a switching supply
puts out.

50 amps is not necessary for a 100w transceiver. (Was that a typo, Ed?) I
think the most I've so far ever seen recommended by a radio manufacturer for
100w is 22 amps. For example, my Astron 20A (20 amp - duh) supply powers my
IC-735 just fine. I understand what you mean, though, about 2m being
continuous, as opposed to CW and SSB being intermittent on transmit.

A 20 amp supply would be what I'd recommend for the 2m 50w radio in the
shack.

Howard N7SO

Old May 18th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

As for power supplies, you should consider a 12-volt Absorbent Glass Mat
(AGM) battery with a maintenance charger (the kind that shuts itself off
when the battery is fully charged). That will give you pretty much
whatever surge current you need, and if your power fails your station
stays up.

AGM batteries are sealed, can be used indoors, and can be mounted in any
position (e.g. on their sides or even upside down, so they claim). They
are readily available (I get mine from Batteries Plus). I have a
105-amp-hour AGM battery for my motorhome, and a 33-amp-hour AGM battery
for my ARES "go kit".

I'm told that the so-called "gel cell" batteries are actually AGM
batteries.

Old May 18th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Fri, 18 May 2007 09:42:30 EDT, "Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote in :

As for power supplies, you should consider a 12-volt Absorbent Glass Mat
(AGM) battery with a maintenance charger (the kind that shuts itself off
when the battery is fully charged). That will give you pretty much
whatever surge current you need, and if your power fails your station
stays up.

I strongly agree. These are a great back-up for power failures or for
field operations. I work the OKC Marathon every year, running my Yaesu
FT-857D and FT-897D from Power Battery Company 91-Ampere-Hour AGM
batteries given me when we got rid of our Muckin' Huge UPS at work.
When they're not in use, I keep them charged, so that I can run the
station during our all-too-frequent power outages. One of them will run
a Yaesu FT-*97D for about 8 hours, I've found, in my typical usage
pattern, which is listen-mostly.

Warning: these are HEAVY! Sulfuric acid and lead both are very dense.

The 91AH batteries weigh about 77 pounds each; you want them rigged
with some sort of carrying harness if you have to move them, or use
a dolly of some sort. If you're putting them on a table, shelf, or
other support, it needs to be strong enough, and if they're going in a
vehicle or trailer, they need to be secured so that side loads don't
cause them to fall.

AGM batteries are sealed, can be used indoors, and can be mounted in any
position (e.g. on their sides or even upside down, so they claim). They
are readily available (I get mine from Batteries Plus). I have a
105-amp-hour AGM battery for my motorhome, and a 33-amp-hour AGM battery
for my ARES "go kit".

There are lots of sources. Your Yellow Pages will be a great help here.

I'm told that the so-called "gel cell" batteries are actually AGM
batteries.

Seems to be the case.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin

Old May 18th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote in
message news
As for power supplies, you should consider a 12-volt
Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) battery with a maintenance
charger (the kind that shuts itself off when the battery
is fully charged). That will give you pretty much
whatever surge current you need, and if your power fails
your station stays up.

AGM batteries are sealed, can be used indoors, and can be
mounted in any position (e.g. on their sides or even
upside down, so they claim). They are readily available
(I get mine from Batteries Plus). I have a 105-amp-hour
AGM battery for my motorhome, and a 33-amp-hour AGM
battery for my ARES "go kit".

I'm told that the so-called "gel cell" batteries are
actually AGM batteries.

I'd agree with that. I have a thing here called a "Wizard Power Cube"
which I bought at a rally some years ago. It contains a 20AH dryfit
lead-acid sealed battery, a maintenance charger and also an input for a
solar panel so you can use it when out portable on a contest for example,
using the solar panel to get some charge into the battery. I don't recall
the make, but I think the guy selling them made them himself.

73 Ivor G6URP.

Old May 18th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 18, 4:57 am, RDWeaver wrote:

For mobile work, you won't need a power supply. If you're using the
rig as a base station, then a good well filtered and regulated 7 amp
supply should cover you, but my experience is the supplies that small
are often cheaply built. What brand/model is it?

Even a very good 7A powersupply would be marginal at best. I'd
recommend 15A as a minimum.

73, de Hans, K0HB