Old July 31st 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default ARRL "Hello" commercials

Dee Flint wrote:
About what time of day and are they still running?

Hi Dee, It was evenings that I saw them, sometimes weekends. I'm not
sure if that was the only times that they were on - it might have been
because those were the only times I watch TV.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 31st 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default July 23, 2007 ARS License Numbers

wrote:

Now suppose RBB had included things like a slice of CW-only space for
the CW ops, a slice of no-data space for the 'phone ops, and a slice
of "all modes" space for everybody. The result might have been very
different.

The big mistake ARRL (and CTT, and many others) make is that they
don't really know how popular their proposals are *before* submitting
them to FCC.

Whatever is the point of *any* amateur radio group submitting a Part
97 proposal that generates 70, 80, 90% negative comments? All that
does is annoy FCC, IMHO.

The way I see it is that indeed the proposal was a big mistake. The
folks who were all about the robot stations effectively took over the
process, and hoped to push things through with their agenda intact.

This is not an unusual thing. Many different groups see their own
interests as paramount to the "big picture" in Ham radio (though it
isn't exclusive to the ARS) I've sat through lectures from Emergency
Operation fans on how amateur radio MUST change to acommodate their
particular view. Pro contesters/anti contesters, the different folks
involved all have a vision of what the service needs to be.

In the case of the RBB, the big picture was circumvented, and the result
was predictable and hams did their job. Some people look at it as a
failure. I look at as a shining success. A bad idea was beat down.

Of course, after being chased around the bands by some of those stations
while trying to enjoy some psk31, I suppose that would be natural on my
part. ;^)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 3rd 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Jul 31, 2:52 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:

The big mistake ARRL (and CTT, and many others) make is that they
don't really know how popular their proposals are *before* submitting
them to FCC.

Whatever is the point of *any* amateur radio group submitting a Part
97 proposal that generates 70, 80, 90% negative comments? All that
does is annoy FCC, IMHO.

The way I see it is that indeed the proposal was a big mistake. The
folks who were all about the robot stations effectively took over the
process, and hoped to push things through with their agenda intact.

I don't know if 'the folks who were all about the robot stations' took
over the process or not. But that doesn't matter.

What I do know is that there was a widespread *perception* that RBB
was "all about robots" and conducted behind closed doors. That
*perception* was pure poison when comment-time came around. It
galvanized so many hams into writing anti-RBB comments that the good
parts of the proposal were lost in the uproar.

The really sad thing is that the BoD, who OK'd the proposal, didn't
see all that ahead of time.

This is not an unusual thing. Many different groups see their own
interests as paramount to the "big picture" in Ham radio (though it
isn't exclusive to the ARS)

Of course.

And the way you get around that sort of resistance is to let all
groups have their say, and come up with proposals that give everybody
something of what they want.

I've sat through lectures from Emergency
Operation fans on how amateur radio MUST change to acommodate their
particular view. Pro contesters/anti contesters, the different folks
involved all have a vision of what the service needs to be.

Sure. And they're almost all right! The trick is to make room for
everyone.

For example, I think WinLink/Pactor/robots are a great thing in
Amateur Radio. I think many of our rules on them are outdated and in
need of rewriting. I even think the "no-data-in-the-phone-bands" rule
has to go.

But at the same time, I do not think that simply allowing robot
operation everywhere is a good thing. That's why I opposed both RBB
and CTT.

In the case of the RBB, the big picture was circumvented, and the result
was predictable and hams did their job. Some people look at it as a
failure. I look at as a shining success. A bad idea was beat down.

It was a failure in my view because:

1) A lot of good ideas in RBB were beat down too
2) The beat-down of the bad ideas should have happened *before* it was
ever sent to FCC, not after.
3) The proposal asked a lot of hams to give something up, without
giving them anything in return, or not enough in return. Meanwhile,
other hams would gain something without giving anything up. Or at
least it seemed that way to many hams.

This is why proposals like RBB and CTT go nowhere, IMHO.

Suppose somebody came up with a composite mode that combined SSB voice
and a PSK31-like data mode in a bandwidth of less than 3 kHz. I think
that would be a good thing for Amateur Radio, and under RBB it would
be legal. Under current rules it's not allowed on US HF amateur radio,
though, and with the mess created by RBB and CTT, it won't be for many
years to come.

IMHO, one of the reasons it takes *years* for FCC to make even simple
changes to Part 97 (like dumping the code test) is because we USA hams
don't get our act together before sending proposals to FCC.

Look at how Canada handled the code test thing. They sent out surveys,
got ideas, and put together an innovative plan that generated
consensus among VE hams. Only when they could point to hard numbers
about how much widespread support their was for their proposal did
they send it to Industry Canada.

And Industry Canada put the change in place with little hassle. The
whole process was a done deal long before the USA got around to
changing Part 97, and IMHO the Canadian change generated less
animosity among VE hams than the USA process did here.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 3rd 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:

The big mistake ARRL (and CTT, and many others) make is that they
don't really know how popular their proposals are *before* submitting
them to FCC.
Whatever is the point of *any* amateur radio group submitting a Part
97 proposal that generates 70, 80, 90% negative comments? All that
does is annoy FCC, IMHO.

The way I see it is that indeed the proposal was a big mistake. The
folks who were all about the robot stations effectively took over the
process, and hoped to push things through with their agenda intact.

I don't know if 'the folks who were all about the robot stations' took
over the process or not. But that doesn't matter.

I disagree. I believe it matters very much.

What I do know is that there was a widespread *perception* that RBB
was "all about robots" and conducted behind closed doors. That
*perception* was pure poison when comment-time came around. It
galvanized so many hams into writing anti-RBB comments that the good
parts of the proposal were lost in the uproar.

A very wise man once told me that if enough people have a perception of
something, it doesn't matter what the truth is, the perception becomes
the truth. And as hard as that may be to swallow, it is just how things are.

The really sad thing is that the BoD, who OK'd the proposal, didn't
see all that ahead of time.

This is not an unusual thing. Many different groups see their own
interests as paramount to the "big picture" in Ham radio (though it
isn't exclusive to the ARS)

Of course.

And the way you get around that sort of resistance is to let all
groups have their say, and come up with proposals that give everybody
something of what they want.

I've sat through lectures from Emergency
Operation fans on how amateur radio MUST change to acommodate their
particular view. Pro contesters/anti contesters, the different folks
involved all have a vision of what the service needs to be.

Sure. And they're almost all right! The trick is to make room for
everyone.

Actually I'm not so sure about everyone being right. My experience has
been that people who are intensely interested in one thing or the other
don't believe that others needs are of sufficient interest. Which is why
it is important that any BOD is interested in the big picture.

For example, I think WinLink/Pactor/robots are a great thing in
Amateur Radio. I think many of our rules on them are outdated and in
need of rewriting. I even think the "no-data-in-the-phone-bands" rule
has to go.

I think that the stations have to become a whole lot better behaved
before they are allowed anywhere. The business of just opening up
whenever and wherever is bad stuff.

But at the same time, I do not think that simply allowing robot
operation everywhere is a good thing. That's why I opposed both RBB
and CTT.

As a person chased off the air (or at least to another frequency) by
the machines, I couldn't agree more. There has been a lot of discussion
re the PSK31 "segment", with a lot of people telling us to "just move".
Yeah, I guess we could. The nature of PSK31 is such that making it's
practitioners fly all over the band in search of a free spot is a great
way to kill it. especially for those who use the rockbound radios. A lot
of the PSK units are just a rockbound transceiver tied to a laptop. It
got bad enough that at least in the Digipan PSK software, the programmer
put in receive only for the robots so that we could ID them and complain
to the F.C.C. All that fuss over 1 3KHz piece of the band!

In the case of the RBB, the big picture was circumvented, and the result
was predictable and hams did their job. Some people look at it as a
failure. I look at as a shining success. A bad idea was beat down.

It was a failure in my view because:

1) A lot of good ideas in RBB were beat down too
2) The beat-down of the bad ideas should have happened *before* it was
ever sent to FCC, not after.
3) The proposal asked a lot of hams to give something up, without
giving them anything in return, or not enough in return. Meanwhile,
other hams would gain something without giving anything up. Or at
least it seemed that way to many hams.

This is why proposals like RBB and CTT go nowhere, IMHO.

And that is why I consider it a good thing. I agree with you that ideas
should be tested out before submission.

I really strongly believe that when special interest subgroups get hold
of the process, they invariably subvert it to their interest. While
there may have been good ideas in RBB, the bad ones were bad enough that
it was worth losing the whole thing. Hopefully the BOD paid attention
to that fact.

[...]

We can do it also. At least in principle. Practice will be a lot
harder, as I suspect that we might be a little more of a contentious lot
than our VE brethren.

- 73 de mike KB3EIA -

Old August 4th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:

I don't know if 'the folks who were all
about the robot stations' took
over the process or not. But that doesn't matter.

I disagree. I believe it matters very much.

See below about the very wise man you quoted.

What I do know is that there was a
widespread *perception* that RBB
was "all about robots" and conducted
behind closed doors. That
*perception* was pure poison when
comment-time came around. It
galvanized so many hams into writing
anti-RBB comments that the good
parts of the proposal were lost in the uproar.

A very wise man once told me that if
enough people have a perception of
something, it doesn't matter what the
truth is, the perception becomes
the truth. And as hard as that may be
to swallow, it is just how things are.

I would say that the perception is what drives people's actions, not
that the perception is the truth.

Most of all, what happens in those cases is
that the perception matters more than the truth.
That's what I meant by "It doesn't matter" whether
the folks who are all about robots took drove RBB
or not.

The really sad thing is that the BoD, who
OK'd the proposal, didn't
see all that ahead of time.

This is not an unusual thing.

Sad but true - in many things.

Many different groups see their own
interests as paramount to the "big picture"
in Ham radio (though it
isn't exclusive to the ARS)

It certainly isn't!

And the way you get around that sort
of resistance is to let all
groups have their say, and come up
with proposals that give everybody
something of what they want.

I've sat through lectures from Emergency
Operation fans on how amateur radio MUST
change to acommodate their
particular view. Pro contesters/anti contesters,
the different folks
involved all have a vision of what the service
needs to be.

Sure. And they're almost all right!
The trick is to make room for
everyone.

Actually I'm not so sure about
everyone being right.

Everyone isn't right. That's why I wrote
"almost".

My experience has
been that people who are intensely
interested in one thing or the other
don't believe that others needs are of sufficient interest.

Sometimes.

Which is why
it is important that any BOD is
interested in the big picture.

The trouble is that almost every specialized
interest will say *they* are the big picture!

For example, I think WinLink/Pactor/robots
are a great thing in
Amateur Radio. I think many of our rules
on them are outdated and in
need of rewriting. I even think the
"no-data-in-the-phone-bands" rule
has to go.

I think that the stations have to become
a whole lot better behaved
before they are allowed anywhere.

I'm not proposing that they be allowed everywhere.

The business of just opening up
whenever and wherever is bad stuff.

But at the same time, I do not think
that simply allowing robot
operation everywhere is a good thing.
That's why I opposed both RBB
and CTT.

As a person chased off the air (or at
least to another frequency) by
the machines, I couldn't agree more.
There has been a lot of discussion
re the PSK31 "segment", with a lot
of people telling us to "just move".
Yeah, I guess we could. The nature
of PSK31 is such that making it's
practitioners fly all over the band in
search of a free spot is a great
way to kill it. especially for those who
use the rockbound radios. A lot
of the PSK units are just a rockbound
transceiver tied to a laptop.

Which is the beauty of the mode: that it
can give such good results without an
elaborate setup.

Unless I am mistaken, a ham could take
an old computer that's useless for almost
everything else and get on PSK31 with it
and a radio that costs under $100.

It
got bad enough that at least in the
Digipan PSK software, the programmer
put in receive only for the robots so that
we could ID them and complain
to the F.C.C.

Has anyone done that? Such complaints
should also go to the ARRL BoD and the
committee that wrote RBB as well, IMHO

All that fuss over 1 3KHz piece of the band!

Yep.

It was a failure in my view because:

1) A lot of good ideas in RBB were beat down too
2) The beat-down of the bad ideas should have
happened *before* it was
ever sent to FCC, not after.
3) The proposal asked a lot of hams to give
something up, without
giving them anything in return, or not
enough in return. Meanwhile,
other hams would gain something without
giving anything up. Or at
least it seemed that way to many hams.

This is why proposals like RBB and CTT go
nowhere, IMHO.

And that is why I consider it a good thing.
I agree with you that ideas
should be tested out before submission.

I think the submission of proposals that
fail miserably damages the credibility
of the submitting organization. That's
particularly true if the organization says
they represent the amateur community, or
a large part of it. If an organization cannot
motivate its membership to produce a
large number of supporting comments, it
tells FCC that the organization doesn't
really know what its members want.

I really strongly believe that when
special interest subgroups get hold
of the process, they invariably subvert
it to their interest.

I disagree. But I do agree that it's
very possible for them to do so.

While
there may have been good ideas
in RBB, the bad ones were bad enough that
it was worth losing the whole thing.

I agree. But I think a proposal could
have been developed that kept the
good ideas and lost the bad ones.

Hopefully the BOD paid attention
to that fact.

Hopefully.

IMHO, one of the reasons it takes
*years* for FCC to make even simple
changes to Part 97 (like dumping the code
test) is because we USA hams
don't get our act together before
sending proposals to FCC.

Look at how Canada handled the code test thing.

We can do it also. At least in principle.

I hope so.

Practice will be a lot
harder, as I suspect that
we might be a little more of a contentious lot
than our VE brethren.

Maybe. But I think if US hams are approached
in a reasonable way, they will be reasonable.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 4th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote in news:1186230945.022473.52800
@e16g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

wrote:

[...]

His point was that in the end, there is no difference.

[...]

I believe that some have - but am not 100 percent sure. The PSK
community was fairly loud about their plans to ID and complain. The
interference has lessened as of late. I suspect just the threat of
complaints helped a lot.

The technology and users ot it are not bad, but the implementation is.

snip

I think the submission of proposals that
fail miserably damages the credibility
of the submitting organization. That's
particularly true if the organization says
they represent the amateur community, or
a large part of it. If an organization cannot
motivate its membership to produce a
large number of supporting comments, it
tells FCC that the organization doesn't
really know what its members want.

Spot-on

I really strongly believe that when
special interest subgroups get hold
of the process, they invariably subvert
it to their interest.

I disagree. But I do agree that it's
very possible for them to do so.

Well, perhaps I should rephrase that in every instance that I have
dealt with SIG's, that has been the case. THat would be several dozen
occasions.

While
there may have been good ideas
in RBB, the bad ones were bad enough that
it was worth losing the whole thing.

I agree. But I think a proposal could
have been developed that kept the
good ideas and lost the bad ones.