Old December 15th 07, 08:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Identification Question

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:10:10 EST, (Mark Kramer)
wrote:

LORAN is still active, at least according to the Coast Guard.

Not on 1800 Kc.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Old December 15th 07, 08:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 22:02:54 EST, Klystron wrote:

You would think that the flat panel multifunction displays
(depth, RADAR, fish finder, moving map, etc.) would have LORAN as an
option, to back up GPS, but it appears to me that they do not.

Don't tell the GPS folks that they need a backup! They are firmly
convinced that their system is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
ggg
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Old December 15th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default USB/LSB

On Dec 15, 2:05�am, Phil Kane wrote:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:27:37 EST, (Mark Kramer)
wrote:

The story I heard is that this started because Collins radios had an IF
of 9MHz and only needed one set of (expensive) sideband filters to have
LSB below 9 and USB above. Mixing to get the final output: F1+F2 gives
same sideband you start with, F1-F2 inverts.

That's what I was told.

The real story is that it was the Central Electronics (CV ??) exciter
that had that scheme.

Yes, the CE 10A, 10B and 20A exciters all used a 9 MHz SSB
generator. They were quite popular in the 1950s.

But they could not be the source of the amateur LSB/USB convention,
because that scheme does not invert the sideband on
either 75 or 20.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 15th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Phil Kane wrote:

Don't tell the GPS folks that they need a backup! They are firmly
convinced that their system is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
ggg

Several years ago I had a QSO with a crusty old Navy type who had just
retired, somewhat in disgust because the service was no longer teaching
things like Morse code and how to use a sextant to do navigation. His
contention was that if there was another war the enemy would knock out
the US navigation satellites, we would knock out their system, and for
the rest of the war both nations' fleets would wander the seas, lost.

I wonder how big the solar event would have to be to render GPS
unusable. If that or something else took away the capability, it would
certainly have a huge impact these days.

73, Steve KB9X

Old December 15th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:26:01 EST, Steve Bonine wrote:

Phil Kane wrote:

Don't tell the GPS folks that they need a backup! They are firmly
convinced that their system is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
ggg

Several years ago I had a QSO with a crusty old Navy type who had just
retired, somewhat in disgust because the service was no longer teaching
things like Morse code and how to use a sextant to do navigation. His
contention was that if there was another war the enemy would knock out
the US navigation satellites, we would knock out their system, and for
the rest of the war both nations' fleets would wander the seas, lost.

I wonder how big the solar event would have to be to render GPS
unusable. If that or something else took away the capability, it would
certainly have a huge impact these days.

73, Steve KB9X

That's why the Japanese are teaching there machinists the old way's
along with the new. They call those old teachers "super machinists".

Old December 16th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:

That's why the Japanese are teaching there machinists the old way's
along with the new. They call those old teachers "super machinists".

I wonder what word they have coined for CW ops? grin

73, Steve KB9X

Old December 28th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:43:35 EST, Bill Horne
wrote:

BTW, given a choice between LSB and USB, the military's
preference is
for Upper sideband, since using USB makes it easy to talk
another
station on to a net frequency: if his voice sounds high,
then so is his
frequency.

USB was the commercial standard for the 50 years or so
that I've been
in that business. Even with ISB (Independent SideBand)
where each
sideband has different information, the "lower"
sideband(s) are not
inverted relative to the "upper" sideband(s).
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "inverted". ISB
sidebands have the same orientation as normal sidbands,
meaning the lower is inverted with regard to the upper
sideband and in regard to the freqencies in the original
signal, i.e., the higher frequencies in a voice are lower in
RF absolute frequency although a greater separation from the
"carrier".
Single sidband transmission goes back to its early use
for intercontental radio links such as the telephone service
from the U.S. to England provided by AT&T. I've forgotten
the dates but think it was the late 1920's. The equipment
was enormously complex compared to later ham SSB stuff. One
of the methods used for privacy was sideband inversion
applied to both sidebands, that is, the lower voice
frequencies were further from the "carrier". If one had a
reasonably selective receiver the signals could be heard
clearly. This method was used mostly by RCA. ATT used a much
more complex system which split the voice base band into
several smaller bands and "shuffled" them with or without
inversion. One could tell it was voice but not decipher it.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Rig Identification Juan[_3_] Swap 13 October 2nd 08 06:33 PM
Antenna Identification question... JAMES Scanner 1 August 28th 06 11:35 PM
BK-100 Bug Identification Ed Bailen Equipment 0 September 28th 03 04:58 PM
BK-100 Bug Identification Ed Bailen Equipment 0 September 28th 03 04:58 PM