Old December 15th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Identification Question

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:34:12 EST, Michael Coslo wrote:

In reality, we are identified by our call signs. If someone refers to
N3LI, I'm sure to say "wassup"? Every station I operate with the
exception of Field day and contesting at the clubhouse, I ID as my call.

Really, Mike! The station is IDed with the station licensee's call
sign. The only time that the call sign of the operator is used is if
the privileges of the op are greater than the privileges of the
station licensee and the op is exercising those privileges. This is
independent of who owns the radio.

That's the hardest thing that I have to teach to ops using our club
facilities and fixed facilities at ARES/RACES served agencies which
hold individual call signs.

Don't make me look it up and print it -- I'll bill you for the
research! ggg
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Old December 25th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 00:35:33 -0500, Phil Kane wrote:

Really, Mike! The station is IDed with the station licensee's call
sign. The only time that the call sign of the operator is used is if
the privileges of the op are greater than the privileges of the station
licensee and the op is exercising those privileges. This is independen

of who owns the radio.

That's the hardest thing that I have to teach to ops using our club
facilities and fixed facilities at ARES/RACES served agencies which hol

individual call signs.

Hi Phil,

I know what you are saying, but there is a world of difference between
the seemingly clear rule and the reality. Our club has 3 call signs.
Which do I use? I've loaned equipment to the club to use for field day.
Must we operate under my call sign, and don't forget the other equipment
is the club's, or might be other equipment loans.

Some times there could be so much discussion about what the "proper" call

sign is to use that people might just pack up and go home.

-73 de Mike N3LI -

Old December 25th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 22:23:05 EST, Mike Coslo
wrote:

I know what you are saying, but there is a world of difference between
the seemingly clear rule and the reality. Our club has 3 call signs.
Which do I use?

Are you sure that all three have the same club name? The station
trustee is responsible for telling the operator(s) what the correct
club call sign is.

Our club has a club call sign covering all of our activities, and
there is a sub-group of contesters in the club who have obtained a
different club call sign - with a different licensee - for contests
that they participate in separate from the club station.

I've loaned equipment to the club to use for field day.
Must we operate under my call sign, and don't forget the other equipment
is the club's, or might be other equipment loans.

No. Unless you "declare" that it is your personal station. The call
sign to be used is not tied to the ownership of the hardware.

You don't want to be stuck with the violations of someone else.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Old December 25th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

[snip]

:
: Some times there could be so much discussion about what
: the "proper" call
:
: sign is to use that people might just pack up and go home.

The club I used to belong to had 2 callsigns. As long as you held the
correct level of privileges under your own call, as far as I know you
could use whichever club call you wanted, as long as you completed the
right logbook..!

73 Ivor G6URP

Old December 26th 07, 10:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Phil Kane wrote in
news
wrote:

I know what you are saying, but there is a world of difference between
the seemingly clear rule and the reality. Our club has 3 call signs.
Which do I use?

Are you sure that all three have the same club name? The station
trustee is responsible for telling the operator(s) what the correct
club call sign is.

Each has a different Trustee.

Our club has a club call sign covering all of our activities, and
there is a sub-group of contesters in the club who have obtained a
different club call sign - with a different licensee - for contests
that they participate in separate from the club station.

I've loaned equipment to the club to use for field day.
Must we operate under my call sign, and don't forget the other
equipment is the club's, or might be other equipment loans.

No. Unless you "declare" that it is your personal station. The call
sign to be used is not tied to the ownership of the hardware.

And there is an important part of the equation. Is there an F.C.C.
form in which the "station" is declared as belonging to which call
sign? If I borrow a friend's HT to call back somone who calls me, I
think I am technically in violation of what station is what and
who's station.

You don't want to be stuck with the violations of someone else.

Indeed. I think that this is one of those gray areas in which we some
times find our selves.

It reminds me of a drawn out discussion once about "Is it illegal to use
an antenna analyzer?"

After a whole lot of cogitation, the consensus was that it was indeed
illegal to use one without ID'ing, but that the F.C.C. enforcement
officer would be sorely tempted to box your ears if you turned someone
in for using an antenna analyzer.... 8^)

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old December 26th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 05:22:21 EST, Mike Coslo
wrote:

And there is an important part of the equation. Is there an F.C.C.
form in which the "station" is declared as belonging to which call
sign? If I borrow a friend's HT to call back somone who calls me, I
think I am technically in violation of what station is what and
who's station.

No violation. That situation can be viewed either of two ways,
both equally valid and both equally legal - you are borrowing hardware
for YOUR station and use your call sign, or you are operating HIS
station and use his call sign.

You don't want to be stuck with the violations of someone else.

Indeed. I think that this is one of those gray areas in which we some
times find our selves.

Not grey at all to us comm lawyers.... ggg

It reminds me of a drawn out discussion once about "Is it illegal to use
an antenna analyzer?"

After a whole lot of cogitation, the consensus was that it was indeed
illegal to use one without ID'ing,

Depends on the power level used by the Analyzer. It may be operated
as a Part 15 device - no license, no ID - if it meets those
requirements.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Old December 27th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Phil Kane" wrote

It reminds me of a drawn out discussion once about "Is it illegal to use
an antenna analyzer?"

After a whole lot of cogitation, the consensus was that it was indeed
illegal to use one without ID'ing,

Depends on the power level used by the Analyzer. It may be operated
as a Part 15 device - no license, no ID - if it meets those
requirements.

Is the power limit under Part 15 still 100 mw?

Howard N7SO (too lazy to look it up)

Old December 27th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Howard Lester wrote:
"Phil Kane" wrote

It reminds me of a drawn out discussion once about "Is it illegal to use
an antenna analyzer?"

After a whole lot of cogitation, the consensus was that it was indeed
illegal to use one without ID'ing,

Depends on the power level used by the Analyzer. It may be operated
as a Part 15 device - no license, no ID - if it meets those
requirements.

Is the power limit under Part 15 still 100 mw?

Howard N7SO (too lazy to look it up)

It is unless you are operating BPL then the sky appears to be the limit.

Dave WD9BDZ

Old December 27th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default h

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:05:50 EST, "Howard Lester"
wrote:

Depends on the power level used by the Analyzer. It may be operated
as a Part 15 device - no license, no ID - if it meets those
requirements.

Is the power limit under Part 15 still 100 mw?

Howard N7SO (too lazy to look it up)

You didn't miss anything by not trying to look it up. The Commish' in
its infinite wisdom made the Part 15 "intentional radiator" and
"incidental radiator" requirements very complicated several years ago,
with no real thought given to analog laboratory measuring equipment
such as TDRs, signal generators, and Antenna Analyzers.

The old "100 mw input" limits apply only to certain types of devices,
and in general "intentional radiators" have to be certified for
compliance with specified antenna arrangements.

Stuff like that keeps private-sector "FCC Certification Test
Facilities" in business.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Old December 27th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In article

@corp.supernews.com,
"Howard Lester" wrote:

"Phil Kane" wrote

It reminds me of a drawn out discussion once about "Is it illegal to use
an antenna analyzer?"

After a whole lot of cogitation, the consensus was that it was indeed
illegal to use one without ID'ing,

Depends on the power level used by the Analyzer. It may be operated
as a Part 15 device - no license, no ID - if it meets those
requirements.

Is the power limit under Part 15 still 100 mw?

Howard N7SO (too lazy to look it up)

There a pile of definitions that define what the Maximum RF can be
for a Part 15 device these days. Frequency is one, Intentional, or
Unintentional radiation is another, Carrier, Spread Spectrum, etc.
It isn't for the Faint at Heart, to figure it out.

Bruce in alaska

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply