Old December 13th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Identification Question

I was considering another question and in a bout of laziness I figured
I'd ask the group and not spend a few hours reading Part 97 trying to
figure it out...

I use my assigned call sign to ID myself when operating my station,
but what if I'm operating a station that's not mine? Can I just
provide my call as identification or do I need to include the
station's call too?

What FCC rule(s) speak to this situation?

I'm guessing that I have to provide the ID of the station I'm
operating and my call being the control operator but what is the
accepted format for that for the various modes: CW, Phone, Etc?

-= bob =-

Old December 13th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"KC4UAI" wrote in message

I was considering another question and in a bout of laziness I figured
I'd ask the group and not spend a few hours reading Part 97 trying to
figure it out...

I use my assigned call sign to ID myself when operating my station,
but what if I'm operating a station that's not mine? Can I just
provide my call as identification or do I need to include the
station's call too?

What FCC rule(s) speak to this situation?

I'm guessing that I have to provide the ID of the station I'm
operating and my call being the control operator but what is the
accepted format for that for the various modes: CW, Phone, Etc?

-= bob =-

SEE ARRL PAGE
http://www.arrl.org/hrlm/additions/6-4-5.pdf

EXPLAINS IT ALL

Lamont

Old December 13th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

KC4UAI wrote:
I was considering another question and in a bout of laziness I figured
I'd ask the group and not spend a few hours reading Part 97 trying to
figure it out...

I use my assigned call sign to ID myself when operating my station,
but what if I'm operating a station that's not mine? Can I just
provide my call as identification or do I need to include the
station's call too?

This answer applies to US hams, as some other countries have other rules.
Our license have two parts, a Operator Privileges and a Station Privileges.

In principle, the station is licensed, not the operator. This probably
has to do with remote station operations.

However, it often leads to some confusion, such as an interpretation
that an Amateur who has no station does not have a license. Another
quandary can happen if say a friend hands you his HT at say a Public
service event. Do you ID with his call? His call. What about ownership
of the station? If I check out a rig for my club that was donated to the
club, that will be for sale, do I have to ID using a club call sign?

Okay, enough of that!!

In reality, we are identified by our call signs. If someone refers to
N3LI, I'm sure to say "wassup"? Every station I operate with the
exception of Field day and contesting at the clubhouse, I ID as my call.

What FCC rule(s) speak to this situation?

I spent quite a while looking for just that, and there is no clear
rule. There are some rules regarding operating another station when a
person is operating outside their regular privileges, and upgraded
callsigns. but precious little regarding the station vs operator issue.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old December 13th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

The relevant section is §97.119 Station identification. The call of the
station must be used, "an indicator
consisting of the call sign assigned to the control operator's station must
be included after the call sign."

However, I don't think the FCC prohibits one amateur from lending his
equipment to another. So
you could take the position that the station owner has lent his equipment to
you, and during the loan,
it is your station, so you only have to use your call sign.

Old December 14th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In article ,
Geber wrote:

The relevant section is §97.119 Station identification. The call of the
station must be used, "an indicator
consisting of the call sign assigned to the control operator's station must
be included after the call sign."

As I read it, that paragraph (3) applies only when the operator's
license class exceeds that of the station licensee... and most seem to
feel that it's required only if you're transmitting beyond the
privilege level allowed by the station license.

However, I don't think the FCC prohibits one amateur from lending his
equipment to another. So
you could take the position that the station owner has lent his equipment to
you, and during the loan,
it is your station, so you only have to use your call sign.

That seems to be the usual convention.

There seem to be several common practices, which I believe (speaking
*not* as a lawyer) fall within the scope of what the FCC considers a
reasonable interpretation of the rules:

- Use your own station callsign (the "borrowing/lending equipment"
concept). This makes you fully responsible for the transmission.

- Use the station's own callsign, only. This seems to be legitimate
if you're operating with the station owner's permission, and are
transmitting within the privileges covered by the station's
licensee or trustee (and your own, if you don't have a higher-
privileged control operator present). This is a common approach
used for transmitting at a club station... you use the club station
ID.

- Use the station's callsign, slash, your own callsign. You'd do
this if you want to actually ID the location you're transmitting
from (e.g. a club station or that of a friend), but you're
transmitting on frequencies which are allowed by your own operator
class but not by the station licensee's class.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old December 14th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"KC4UAI" wrote in message

: : I was considering another question and in a bout of
: : laziness I figured I'd ask the group and not spend a
: : few hours reading Part 97 trying to figure it out...
: :
: : I use my assigned call sign to ID myself when operating
: : my station, but what if I'm operating a station that's
: : not mine? Can I just provide my call as identification
: : or do I need to include the station's call too?
: :
: : What FCC rule(s) speak to this situation?
: :
: : I'm guessing that I have to provide the ID of the
: : station I'm operating and my call being the control
: : operator but what is the accepted format for that for
: : the various modes: CW, Phone, Etc?
: :
: : -= bob =-

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you saying that if you visit
someone else's shack and operate their equipment, you should use their
callsign..?

Here in the UK the convention is to use your own call with the suffix /A
(alternative address) i.e. "this is G6URP/A operating from the QTH of
G3USA".

If however G3USA was licensed to use bands/modes I was not, I could
operate on them under his callsign, but giving my own call as the
operator. In this case I would complete G3USA's log not my own.

73 Ivor G6URP

Old December 14th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Dec 13, 4:33 pm, "The Shadow" wrote:
"KC4UAI" wrote in message

I'm guessing that I have to provide the ID of the station I'm
operating and my call being the control operator but what is the
accepted format for that for the various modes: CW, Phone, Etc?

-= bob =-

SEE ARRL PAGEhttp://www.arrl.org/hrlm/additions/6-4-5.pdf

EXPLAINS IT ALL

Yes, It sure does. Common sense seems to rule the day if you ask me.
This question came up in a discussion about what the ID requirements
where for operating the club station here at work. I was told that
all I needed to do was use my own call, but be sure to log my
activities in the station log. I guess they work under the "you are
borrowing the station" when you operate it, but something just didn't
sit right with me. If I'm required to log my activities into the
station log but only identify with my call something didn't make sense
and it didn't make sense to me just to use the club call when I'm
using the station for my own thing.

So, here's my "let's be totally careful" approach given the
discussions I've seen so far..

In all cases, I will log my activities into the club station's log
because the station trustee has requested that I do so.

For identification I will:

IF, I'm just operating the club station on my own and not
participating in an officially sanctioned club activity I will
identify with *both* calls, the club first followed by mine.

IF, I'm operating the station during an officially sanctioned club
event, I will identify with the club call only and log that I was the
control operator.

That sounds pretty safe to me based on what I've seen thus far. (At
least here in the USA..)

-= bob =-

Old December 14th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In article ,
KC4UAI wrote:

For identification I will:

IF, I'm just operating the club station on my own and not
participating in an officially sanctioned club activity I will
identify with *both* calls, the club first followed by mine.

That's fine. Perhaps overly-conservative, but it seems like a fine
operating practice.

IF, I'm operating the station during an officially sanctioned club
event, I will identify with the club call only and log that I was the
control operator.

That's safe, I think, *if* the club's trustee has a license class
equal to or greater than yours.

If not, then if you're transmitting in frequencies allowed by your
privileges but not by the trustee's, then you *must* take the
more-conservative approach of transmitting the club station's call,
stroke, your own callsign.

Otherwise, you'd end up with a situation in which listeners (possibly
including the OOs or the FCC) would hear an ID in (e.g.) the Extra
portion of the band, from a callsign belonging to a station which has
(e.g.) only General privileges. That could result in a letter from
Mr. Hollingsworth to the trustee, stating that the station had been
transmitting outside of its license privileges and asking for copies
of all of the logs, etc. That's the sort of situation best dealt with
by prevention :-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old December 15th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Dec 14, 4:35 pm, (Dave Platt) wrote:
In article ,

KC4UAI wrote:

That's safe, I think, *if* the club's trustee has a license class
equal to or greater than yours.

Yea, I failed to mention that the station trustee and I are both the
same license class.

Under no circumstances can one operate outside of his/her privileges
while acting as the control operator and I wouldn't want to give the
impression that one can just ID with the club ID and consider
themselves an "extra for the day" by virtue of being in the club
shack. Now if somebody is there with them they can extend their
operations to include the highest licensed ham present, but the
highest license present then becomes the control operator and
communications outside of one's privileges becomes third party
communications if I'm reading the rules correctly.

I think I'm going to put a section in the operating manual for the
shack that explains all this. Just to keep the raft of newbies coming
in from making any mistakes that brings us to the attention of the FCC
enforcement guys.

-= bob =-

KC4UAI

Old December 15th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:43:29 EST, KC4UAI wrote:

I was told that
all I needed to do was use my own call, but be sure to log my
activities in the station log. I guess they work under the "you are
borrowing the station" when you operate it, but something just didn't
sit right with me.

I'm the trustee of several club stations (all under one call sign) and
NOBODY "borrows" those stations!

Next time ask a communications attorney who specializes in
interpreting FCC rules. ggg
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
ARRL Volunteer Counsel