Old March 10th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default The Spirit of Knoxville

An attempt to send a small, ham-radio equipped balloon across the
Atlantic:

http://www.spiritofknoxville.com/

Balloon design by NG0X if I read the info right. Telemetry on 30
meters.

Which brings up a question:

What are the regulations for such a transmitter? Over the USA is one
thing, FCC has rules for that, but above international waters and
other countries it's a different game, particularly since there's no
operator aboard. The website says the transmitter will be turned off
over the UK.

Just wondering.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

Old March 12th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Mar 10, 7:35 pm, wrote:
An attempt to send a small, ham-radio equipped balloon across the
Atlantic:

http://www.spiritofknoxville.com/

Balloon design by NG0X if I read the info right. Telemetry on 30
meters.

Which brings up a question:

What are the regulations for such a transmitter? Over the USA is one
thing, FCC has rules for that, but above international waters and
other countries it's a different game, particularly since there's no
operator aboard. The website says the transmitter will be turned off
over the UK.

Just wondering.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

When customs stops the craft at the border, they'll provide further
clarification...

N0iMD

Old March 13th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Mar 11, 8:12�pm, wrote:
On Mar 10, 7:35 pm, wrote:

An attempt to send a small, ham-radio equipped balloon across the
Atlantic:

http://www.spiritofknoxville.com/

Balloon design by NG0X if I read the info right. Telemetry on 30
meters.

Which brings up a question:

What are the regulations for such a transmitter? Over the USA is one
thing, FCC has rules for that, but above international waters and
other countries it's a different game, particularly since there's no
operator aboard. �The website says the transmitter will be turne

d off
over the UK.

When customs stops the craft at the border, they'll provide further
clarification...

N0iMD

Heh heh. The record was already broken last year for a solo Atlantic
crossing by a GPS-guided gas engine powered radio-control model (built
by an amateur - not a professional - aircraft builder). Radio control
for take off and climb out, then for landing in Ireland (? well,
somewhere in the British Isles)
The engine ran throughout the flight!

Heavier-than-air, of course, just hadn't been done by a hobbyist R-C
modeler before. Also, R-C has a license-free radio service both in
North America and most of Europe. No 'customs' in the usual sense and
everything was arranged beforehand at the landing site. Model
Airplane News (MAN) had the story. Now THAT took some doing by the
builder (a record-setter over land) and several fellow model aircraft
hobbyists.

73, Len AF6AY

Old March 13th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:13:15 EDT, Steve Bonine wrote:

Do you have any idea why they're going to the trouble to turn off the
transmitter over the UK?

My WAG is because it doesn't conform to their rules.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Old March 14th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Phil Kane" wrote in message

: On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:13:15 EDT, Steve Bonine
: wrote:
:
:
: Do you have any idea why they're going to the trouble to
: turn off the transmitter over the UK?
:
: My WAG is because it doesn't conform to their rules.

What will the transmitting frequency be..? Don't forget that we have
different frequencies in some bands, for example we only get 2 MHz in the
2m band, 144-146 MHz whereas the US has 144-148 MHz.

If it will be transmitting outside of the UK bandplan then that would be a
valid reason as the frequency used could be in use for something else over
here.

73 Ivor G6URP

Old March 14th 08, 09:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Ivor Jones wrote:

"Phil Kane" wrote in message

: On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:13:15 EDT, Steve Bonine
: wrote:
:
:
: Do you have any idea why they're going to the trouble to
: turn off the transmitter over the UK?
:
: My WAG is because it doesn't conform to their rules.

What will the transmitting frequency be..? Don't forget that we have
different frequencies in some bands, for example we only get 2 MHz in the
2m band, 144-146 MHz whereas the US has 144-148 MHz.

If it will be transmitting outside of the UK bandplan then that would be a
valid reason as the frequency used could be in use for something else over
here.

A balloon is an aircraft so that makes it illegal to transmit.
No transmitting equipment may be operated from an aircraft other than
type approved aviation band equipment under the control of the commander.

Old March 14th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote in message

[snip]

: A balloon is an aircraft so that makes it illegal to
: transmit.
: No transmitting equipment may be operated from an
: aircraft other than type approved aviation band equipment
: under the control of the commander.

So does that make the whole project is illegal..?

What about amateur radio equipment (which is what we're talking about,
isn't it)..?

It's illegal here in the UK to operate aeronautical mobile but I
understand that in the US and other countries it's allowed with the
permission of the PIC (pilot in command).

But this is an unmanned craft, so where do we stand with that..?

73 Ivor G6URP

Spirit of Knoxville II Steve Shortwave 0 January 2nd 08 04:03 PM
Spirit of Knoxville transatlantic balloon flight Steve Shortwave 21 December 2nd 07 04:06 AM
that ole x-mas spirit ! Greenpanty Shortwave 6 December 19th 04 11:16 PM
WTK: Anyone coming to Knoxville TN Hamfest Ronny Julian Swap 0 June 9th 04 03:07 AM
Knoxville jock question Rick Dodds Broadcasting 0 February 26th 04 04:30 PM