Old April 4th 10, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default US vs Euro hand keys and keying style

OK all, you've made me do some serious thinking about keys vs bugs/paddles
and I think I'll just settle for a good hand key and learn what needs to be
learned and worry about the other stuff later. But wait! ....which is
better? European style keying with the typical straight bar or the
traditional US style keying with the bent-down bar? The more I read, the
more confusing it becomes.

First, let me say I'm a bit prone to RSI. Not accute, but I've suffered it
often enough to realize it's a potential problem for me. I've read where
the US method of the arm resting on the table (bent arm key) is claimed to
be more prone to this type of problem (glass arm) than the European style of
keying, which I've more than once seen referred to as "speed keying" and
uses the straight key arm and has the user's arm off the table. What say
you long-time straight key vets?

While I have no problem finding Euro-style keys, I've not found much on the
Euro style keying method. Anyone have good references or experiences on
this subject. BTW, I find some high-end keys are cheaper without the bent
key arm. That, and I've suffered enough RSI in this lifetime. Thank you in
advance.

nb

Old April 11th 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 2010-04-04, notbob wrote:

While I have no problem finding Euro-style keys, I've not found much on the
Euro style keying method. Anyone have good references or experiences on
this subject.

I finally found some relevant info on this subject. Here's a couple
links for those that may be interested, also:

http://www.mtechnologies.com/wordpress/?p=16
http://www.ghdkey.com/morse4.html (watch the video)

nb

Old April 11th 10, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"notbob" wrote

I finally found some relevant info on this subject. Here's a couple
links for those that may be interested, also:

http://www.mtechnologies.com/wordpress/?p=16
http://www.ghdkey.com/morse4.html (watch the video)

Thanks! I found the video very informative.

Howard N7SO

WTB inexpensive Hand KEYS for shipment to THIRD WORLD Josh Swap 0 February 17th 06 01:40 PM
Looking for CW keying program Dave \Doc\ Corio General 5 July 2nd 05 10:02 PM
CW keying waveform ? Thierry Equipment 4 February 29th 04 12:17 PM
FT-817 CW Keying Question Martin Meserve Equipment 4 August 8th 03 02:34 PM
FT-817 CW Keying Question Martin Meserve Equipment 0 August 7th 03 04:23 PM