Old April 18th 10, 05:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default NPR story cites growth in Amateur ranks

On 2010-04-18, Larry Weil wrote:

I heard the story on New Hampshire Public Radio, I thought it was good.
It looks like the reporter actually did her research and got the facts
correct.

Agreed.

I jes turned 62 and am studying like crazy for my element 2 and 3
license. Got a Kent key and practicing that, too. DZkit told me I
was lucky to get a piece of the new shipment of Kent keys cuz there's
been an unexpected run on them. Since the discontinuation of cw
requirement, they say interest is WAY up. Go figure.

nb

Old April 18th 10, 02:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Larry Weil wrote:
Patty Winter wrote in

"15-year-old Jonathan Dunn is attending along with his father. He
says Facebook and texting are fun, but making friends using a $200
radio that doesn't come with monthly fees is more rewarding."

See, that's just it: You can use phones to call people you know,
but you need something like ham radio to meet people you don't
know. And as he says, no monthly fees!

Patty N6BIS

I heard the story on New Hampshire Public Radio, I thought it was good.
It looks like the reporter actually did her research and got the facts
correct.

73 de KC1IH

Another advantage of Ham Radio.... I have spoken to folks in places
where FaceBook, Twitter and Cell phones...... Well, they never heard of
them at least not in their town. And that is under "Routine" conditions.

Now when things go south.... Well.... As my T-Shirt says "When all else
fails... HAM RADIO"

I suspect you folks know where to buy the shirt (ARRL Store)