Old April 26th 10, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Wash DC ham numbers. What is wrong?

On Apr 16, 7:24 pm, N2EY wrote:
On Apr 16, 10:21 am, "Michael J. Coslo" wrote:

While Washington DC is a district, for all intents and
purposes, it is a city, just like Philadelphia or New York.

It's even more urbanized than Philadelphia, IMHO. (I've spend
considerable time in both cities).

My point is not a matter of degree, but that urban areas often have
less Hams than we might think. In the PAQSO party, Philadelphia is a
rare county. When you get to the more suburban areas around it, there
are a lot more hams. It's a rough estimate due to being a specific
activity.

And in line with what Jim had said, I'm actually surprised that there
are some many hams per non-hams.

I think you meant "so many hams...". I suspect that many of them are
temporary transplants (students, for example).

Ratio, like 300 non hams for each 1 ham.

I can under stand that there are relatively many hams in places like
Alaska. They live a lot closer to the edge of disaster than most of
us, and there's only so much infrastructure you can put in in some of
the more remote areas.

I don't think Alaskans are "much closer" to the edge of disaster than
most of us. However, I bet they do have fewer restrictions on
antennas.

That I'd have to disagree with. Many Alaskans are pretty close to the
edge. We don't have to get food and supplies brought in by snowmobile
or bush pilot. There was a case I read about where a snowmobile
brigade was formed to ferry fuel oil to a remote village so that the
inhabitants could survive through the winter. The coastal areas are
not too bad, but you get inland and it can be pretty scary. When I was
in Juneau, I hiked on some trails that went by tunnels that were sent
through the mountains for the miners to get to their work in the
winter. They weren't mining in the tunnel, it was drilled to protect
the miners. A mining company wouldn't spend money on a luxury like
that unless it had to.

That Ham radio license can be a real lifesaver up there.

Old April 27th 10, 12:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:58:11 EDT, "Michael J. Coslo"
wrote:

On Apr 16, 7:24 pm, N2EY wrote:
On Apr 16, 10:21 am, "Michael J. Coslo" wrote:

While Washington DC is a district, for all intents and
purposes, it is a city, just like Philadelphia or New York.

It's even more urbanized than Philadelphia, IMHO. (I've spend
considerable time in both cities).

My point is not a matter of degree, but that urban areas often have
less Hams than we might think.

And rural areas tend to have a higher ratio of hams. A case in point
is Pahrump, NV, where I live. 35,000 population spread over a valley
10 miles wide by 20 miles long, in the middle of the desert. Most
housing lots are 1.25 acres with little or no CC&Rs. (*) The nearest
nearby towns are at least a half hour away. According to qrz.com,
there are 322 ham licenses (not counting the 4 club licenses) with
Pahrump in their address. That's a ratio of 1 to 109.

Nationally, according to http://www.arrl.org/fcc-license-counts there
are 689,553 ham licenses in the USA. According to
http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html the USA population is
309,145,162, for a ratio of 1 to 448.

(*) My house is in a development which covers a quarter of the town,
and my CC&Rs (written 30 years ago) do not even mention antennas and
towers, just things like setbacks. And the CC&Rs are scheduled to
expire in a couple of years.

We are engaged in an active effort to make new hams here, including
holding free-of-cost classes for those who are interested. I run the
local VE team. Last Saturday, we had 11 candidates, nine got new
Technician licenses, and one upgraded to Extra. Last month, we held a
month-long study program for upgrade to General. In the VE session
that followed, we had 14 candidates, most of whom passed. In January,
we had a one-half-day study program for Technician (commonly called a
cram). At the following VE session we had 10 candidates, and all
passed.

Whenever someone passes an exam, I give to him/her a tri-fold pamphlet.
One side says "Congratulations. We know you have questions. Call on
any of us for advice and for help raising antennas." I.e., we are
offering to be Elmers. The other side of the pamphlet describes our
local ARES/RACES organization and invites them to join. About a
quarter of them do join ARES/RACES.

Dick Grady AC7EL

Old April 27th 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Ratio of hams (was Wash DC ham numbers. What is wrong?)

In article ,
Dick Grady AC7EL wrote:

And rural areas tend to have a higher ratio of hams. A case in point
is Pahrump, NV, where I live. 35,000 population spread over a valley
10 miles wide by 20 miles long, in the middle of the desert. Most
housing lots are 1.25 acres with little or no CC&Rs. (*) The nearest
nearby towns are at least a half hour away. According to qrz.com,
there are 322 ham licenses (not counting the 4 club licenses) with
Pahrump in their address. That's a ratio of 1 to 109.

I remember when I visited Alaska years ago that there sure seemed
to be a lot of hams. I just ran the numbers for Fairbanks and it's
about 1 in 70. For Talkeetna, it's about 1 in 7.5.

Patty

Old April 27th 10, 02:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

In article ,
Patty Winter wrote:

In article ,
Dick Grady AC7EL wrote:

And rural areas tend to have a higher ratio of hams. A case in point
is Pahrump, NV, where I live. 35,000 population spread over a valley
10 miles wide by 20 miles long, in the middle of the desert. Most
housing lots are 1.25 acres with little or no CC&Rs. (*) The nearest
nearby towns are at least a half hour away. According to qrz.com,
there are 322 ham licenses (not counting the 4 club licenses) with
Pahrump in their address. That's a ratio of 1 to 109.

I remember when I visited Alaska years ago that there sure seemed
to be a lot of hams. I just ran the numbers for Fairbanks and it's
about 1 in 70. For Talkeetna, it's about 1 in 7.5.

Patty

in Excursion Inlet, Alaska, it is 4 to 1, Residents to Hams.. being as
both my wife and I are licensed.....

Bruce in Alaska AL7AQ

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

Old May 1st 10, 06:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

One of the things that influences the number of hams in a city or county
is the jobs of at least ONE of those ham radio operators.

For example some years ago the number of ham licenses in Branch County
Michigan went up by a fairly large (for that county) number.

You see. A school hired a Ham and he convinced them to offer a class,
regular day time class, as an elective.

His graduates all got licenses.

HD Radio shutdown in Wash, D.C! LMFAO! PocketRadio Shortwave 49 January 2nd 09 01:36 PM
Eduardo - FM-HDs in Wash, D.C also have turned off IBOC PocketRadio Shortwave 0 December 30th 08 10:35 AM
Crosley after wash Ken G. Radio Photos 0 June 8th 07 01:18 AM
Wash Your Mouth Out, Mark Roger Policy 0 December 10th 06 09:36 PM
PING AUK OT Just How Wrong IS Ward Hardman. Not as wrong as the Doofus of Masturbation. TransWench CB 1 August 20th 06 12:06 AM