Old July 7th 10, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Station Equipment - Operating desk

Im using an old sears metal desk with a door on top. I really would
like to build something into the wall or off the wall but not sure if
thats the way to go. Corner office groups at the big box stores dont
appeal to me.

There was a wonderful desk set up built by a 7 lander that was in one
of the ham radio magazines in the late 70s early 80s that looked
Ideal.

SOOO

What does yours look like and what might be easy for a so so wood
person (as In I can cut some and nail some)

Plans etc helpful

Scotty W7PSK

Old July 8th 10, 01:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 7/7/2010 1:09 PM, R.Scott wrote:
Im using an old sears metal desk with a door on top. I really would
like to build something into the wall or off the wall but not sure if
thats the way to go. Corner office groups at the big box stores dont
appeal to me.

There was a wonderful desk set up built by a 7 lander that was in one
of the ham radio magazines in the late 70s early 80s that looked
Ideal.

SOOO

What does yours look like and what might be easy for a so so wood
person (as In I can cut some and nail some)

Plans etc helpful

Scotty W7PSK

If you want one "off the wall" about the easiest way is to take a solid
slab or wood (a door works well, plus the pre-drilled hole for the latch
can be handy for passing cables)

Attach hinges to the wall, The kind where you can remove the pins, And
make sure you hit the studs please, and then use a pair of legs, these
can be commercial legs purchased from a lumber yard where you mount a
bracket on the bottom and screw them in or they can be 2x2 or 4x's lagg
bolted with a bolt that runs allt he way through the top into the "leg"

It won't move, and it will be solid

Just make sure it's a solid door, not a cheap paper bedroom type door.

Or, if you want a different dimension 3/4" (or about) plywood, use 2x4's
on edge (2" side up) to provide stiffining "ribs" at least every 1-2
feet under the slab, edge with 1x6 so it looks pretty.

Old July 8th 10, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 7/7/2010 1:09 PM, R.Scott wrote:

What does yours look like and what might be easy for a so so wood
person (as In I can cut some and nail some)

Plans etc helpful

Scotty W7PSK

Oh you ask what mine looks like.. Well my old operating position looked
a lot like yours (Old metal desk with door on top)

My new one looks like a bathroom counter (Next to the sink) Complete
with sink and porcelin operating "Chair"

NOTE: this is very handy during a net cause when I feel the urge to go
somewhere... Always just beofore NCS calls my call..... I"m there already.

NO, no shock hazard. plumbing is not connected to ground... at least not
normally and when it is I'm not on the operating chair, I'm outside
where the valves are.