Old July 7th 10, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Station Equipment - Comfort - Chair recommendations

My ham station is lacking in a good chair for operating. I'm using a
kitchen chair right now as the inexpensive to moderate chairs just
wont stand up to heavy use and Weight.

So what Moderately priced chair do you use in the ham station that has
a weight load of 300+

Scotty W7PSk

Old July 8th 10, 01:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Jul 7, 1:09 pm, "R.Scott" wrote:
My ham station is lacking in a good chair for operating. I'm using a
kitchen chair right now as the inexpensive to moderate chairs just
wont stand up to heavy use and Weight.

So what Moderately priced chair do you use in the ham station that has
a weight load of 300+

Scotty W7PSk

Office chair with arms, that I found in the dumpster at the local
county courthouse just after news years 1999.
Mechanically well built, but the fabric covering on the arm pads and
the seat was torn, and the inner foam rubber padding was showing thru.
the chair was in good mechanical shape otherwise.
I still use it daily.
Total cost: about 25 cents for gas ( at that time gas was 86 cents a
gallon)

Old July 8th 10, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 7/7/2010 1:09 PM, R.Scott wrote:
My ham station is lacking in a good chair for operating. I'm using a
kitchen chair right now as the inexpensive to moderate chairs just
wont stand up to heavy use and Weight.

So what Moderately priced chair do you use in the ham station that has
a weight load of 300+

Scotty W7PSk

I would not call it moderately priced but I've seen some very nice high
back office chairs that can easily support my 300+

Of course in my current mobile shack the "Chair" I sit upon is multi use

It is also often made of china (porcelin) and has water running to it.

Old July 8th 10, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Old July 9th 10, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 7/8/2010 12:54 PM, Paul W. Schleck wrote:

I see from your QRZ callbook entry that you are retired, living and
traveling in an RV:

http://www.qrz.com/db/WA8YXM

That clears up some initial confusion of mine (and possibly others on
the newsgroup) why you might be operating from your bathroom. Space can
be limited when your current home is on wheels.

Any other particular furnishing/ergonomic/logistical challenges you
encounter from operating mobile full-time?

I wondered if anyone would figure it out.. But the way this is a bath
and a half model.. The "Half" is also Half ham-shack (The full bath with
showere gets a bit steamy from time to time, not good for electronics,
thought there is a way I could do it there too and keep the rig dry
(Handy cabinet)

The biggest issues with full time portable motor home are

1: Antennas: My prefered antenna is 100' of 12ga Stranded copper. Of
course with your house is only 38 feet long where do you anchor the
other end? (I used to just toss it over a handy tree, But one park
manager complained so now i use a portable tree (pole with guy lines,
(nylon, not wire)

2: Freezer space.. We have 2 freezers but.. hey that's the other kind of
HAM.

On the plus side I'm fully emergency powered with over 1,000 watts of
stored power in the main house batteries, about the same in the 2nd bank
(After market) and 5,500 watts of very nice quiet Onan Emerald Gold
generator..... Provided I can afford the gas.

Twin Air conditioners keep the shack (And rest of the house) cool on
even the hottest Michigan days.

I have done soem "Custom" work .. For example I added a removable shelf
in front of the radio for the log book or general electronics work.

Another issue is the power in many RV parks. Getting a solid 110-120
volts is not always possible. A Hughes autoformer takes care of that.

The radio, however, runs off 12 volts (Well, battery voltage) and as it
happens the 12 volt distribution panel in this rig (rated 80 amps or
more) is ... Less than six feet from the radio and open to the cabinet
that is under the radio. So instead of a very expensive Kenwood
regulated supply.. I use a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with charge wizard
and a 220 amp hour "Filter Capicator" ...ur, battery bank. Very Nice.

If I ever move back into a house I will swap the U-2200's (GC-2 size
golf car batteries) for a G-31 AGM or two (Less gassing, better for in
house power) and a good 3-stage converter/charger such as the charger
section of a xantrex Prosine True sine Wave inverter/charger for the
radio.. Full Emergency power.. If the lights go out in wherever I'm
parked.. In the raiio room. I don't even notice. The only 120 volt
stuff in there (Mostly a voltmeter) switches to the inverter.