Old February 7th 13, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Hams asked to comment on Region II band plan

I just got a notice from the ARRL, saying that ham societies are being
asked to contribute to the new Region 2 band plan.

On 2/7/2013 11:44 AM, ARRL Web site wrote:
The Secretary of IARU Region 2 has asked Member Societies to offer
any suggestions they may have about possible changes to the Region 2
band plan.

I suggest hams be accorded squatter's rights on any band with less than
10% usage in any thirty day period.

I say: if hams find a stretch of RF Real Estate that's lying idle, we
get to use it until and unless the assigned users make their presence known.

My 2¢.

Bill, W1AC

--
Bill Horne
(Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly)

Old February 7th 13, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 13:34:49 EST, Bill Horne wrote:

I suggest hams be accorded squatter's rights on any band with less than
10% usage in any thirty day period.

I say: if hams find a stretch of RF Real Estate that's lying idle, we
get to use it until and unless the assigned users make their presence known.

Unique - but then you've never been in the spectrum enforcement
business. Such a plan would be a nightmare.

MY 2 cents.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old February 8th 13, 02:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 2/7/2013 1:05 PM, Phil Kane wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 13:34:49 EST, Bill wrote:

I suggest hams be accorded squatter's rights on any band with less than
10% usage in any thirty day period.

I say: if hams find a stretch of RF Real Estate that's lying idle, we
get to use it until and unless the assigned users make their presence known.

Unique - but then you've never been in the spectrum enforcement
business. Such a plan would be a nightmare.

That's already happening.

First it was the "Freeband" and now it's the lower end of 10 meters.

Oh, wait, you said Amateurs.

Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Old February 8th 13, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Bill Horne wrote:
I just got a notice from the ARRL, saying that ham societies are being
asked to contribute to the new Region 2 band plan.

On 2/7/2013 11:44 AM, ARRL Web site wrote:
The Secretary of IARU Region 2 has asked Member Societies to offer
any suggestions they may have about possible changes to the Region 2
band plan.

I suggest hams be accorded squatter's rights on any band with less than
10% usage in any thirty day period.

I say: if hams find a stretch of RF Real Estate that's lying idle, we
get to use it until and unless the assigned users make their presence known.

That is not what the band plan is about.

It is about where, in the amateur bands, which modes are used, not where
amateurs can operate.

Old February 9th 13, 07:45 PM
Senior Member

I think that what you are going to find out is that the FCC is looking for more spectrum.
The government feels that the Amateur Radio Community has too much bandwidth - spectrum and that it is not being utilized properly.
If you look at most states - most 70 CM repeaters are either underused or not used at all.
And if you don't use it you are going to loose it.

The government looks at that 10 megacycles of frequency and all they can see is dollar signs.

The problem is two fold.
We are producing a new breed of amateur radio operator, one that either gets a license and does nothing with it, or a breed that refuses to do anything or buy anything and wants everything handed to them.

With the lack of Elmers, No code requirements - where you do not have to prove that you ever operated to get your license and with no band restrictions - where you don't have to operate in certain places or on 6 meters and keep a log - there isn't anything to force anyone to do anything more then take the test and get their license.

Add to that all the LIDS out there.
You know the ones - that gets a vanity call sign with their initials because they are afraid they might forget what their call sign is.
That only checks into nets to give their NO TRAFFIC and hear their call sign being announced once a week - if you are lucky.
Or the ones that checks into nets on the HF and thinks that makes them amateur radio operators.

When you have LIDS being ELMERS - telling new hams that it is OK to just buy a walkie talkie and just talk on the one or two local available repeaters, and that you don't need to follow good amateur radio practice and can tune up over someone else's QSO and that you don't need resonant antenna's and that antenna tuners can do all of the work, then we have lowered the bar so low that we have left practically everyone in.

When you can get your license out of a box of cracker jacks or Fruit Loop's - then we are not producing knowledgeable hams anymore.
Add to that - that the amateur radio community wants to give back licenses to the people who have left them expire - none of this is right.
If you are a HAM - you wouldn't let your license expire in the first place.

All of this lack of intelligence is what is causing the ARRL and the FCC to look at us as amateurs in a foul light.
As far as the FCC is concerned, if they could drop all license requirements and walk away they would.
It is the world as a whole that will not allow it!

And the only thing we have to protect our rights as amateurs is the ARRL.

Don't use 70 CM and you will loose it.

Don't use 6 meters and you will loose it.

Don't use 10 meters - except when there is a contest - and you will loose it.

The higher frequencies are most desireable - since noise is inverse of the frequency. The higher in frequency you go, the less noise you have.

Next to go will be the microwave frequencies......
We have too many of them and no one uses them except when there is a contest.
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...