Old December 11th 15, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc

Default [KB6NU] Are grow lights ruining ham radio for you?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Are grow lights ruining ham radio for you?

About a month ago, a reader e-mailed me:

I bet you know or have heard about theÂ*grow light problem. WhereÂ*I live,
someone is running grow lights about 300 to 350 feet away. When the lights
are on, the noise level isÂ*S7 in some areas of the bands. I bought the MFJ
1026 and it does help some, but it doesnt completely eliminate the noise.Â*I
hope the FCC will put a stop to the import of these cheap kinds of grow
lights.
I read about the filters you can give people who are using grow lights.Â*I
dont know the peopleÂ*so I wont contact them.Â*A friend that live just down
the road thatÂ* knows them, said they have aÂ*1000 WÂ*system. I dont know if
they are legal or care. This matter is going to have to be fixed in the
states where this is going on. It makes you want give up on ham radio.
Here are some Web pages for more information:

http://tomthompson.com/radio/GrowLig...astFilter.html
http://www.w0qe.com/RF_Interference/..._ballasts.html
http://www.arrl.org/news/colorado-ha...rs-grow-lights
http://www.grozine.com/2014/05/15/rf...grow-lighting/

Are people using grow lights a problem in your neighborhood? If so, what,
if anything have you done to mitigate the problem? What do you think can be
done?

The post Are grow lights ruining ham radio for you? appeared first on
KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.