Old December 22nd 15, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [KB6NU] I love reader feedback!

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

I love reader feedback!

I got this e-mail from Larry, AD0LS on Saturday:

Hello, I cant thank you enough for your threeÂ*great study guides.
Im not too far from retirement and thought I would take up amateur
radio.Â*Back when I was about 10, my dad and older brother were hams with a
Novice license but never went any further, and I always thought I would
give it a try some day.Â*Last November, with all the leaves raked up for the
year, and no big projects to tackle, I thought I would give it a go.
I went thru all three of your guides completely, and used the QRZ.Com
practices tests, studying for approximately 50+ hrs per week (after work
and on my days off) for 3.5 weeks.Â*Thats pretty intense, but let anybody
who inquires, know that they can do it!
Just keep at it, persistence pays off. Â*Tell them not to give up.Â*I started
this path on Nov 1 with the goal of a Nov 25 testing session.
I had a general sense of just the very basics, and the study guides helped
me grasp and learn what I needed.Â*I took 143 practice tests on QRZ, and did
fail 21 of the tests, in fact failing most of the Am.Extra tests.Â*Perhaps
the failures is what made me more determined.
I started by taking a practice test for each license class, then
read/studied your guide for that Lic class, then took a lot of practice
tests, andÂ*after about 20-25 practice tests I then went throughÂ*the guides
a secondÂ*time, while continuing the practice tests. Â*I also used my
computer to take lotsÂ*of notes on each of the various categories of
learning, which I referred back to, cross-referencing with your study
guides.
After the first week, for almost every question I failed, I would Alt-Tab
back to the study guide to better learn why I was wrong and better
understand the correct answer, and make more notes.
Without your well thought out and detailed study guides, I doubt I would
have passed the General and Am.Extra, but amazingly I passed all three in
one sitting.

I wrote back, I normally wouldnt advise such an intense course of study,
but everyones different. I think most people, especially starting from
scratch like you did, would burn out before too long. It sounds like it was
just right for you, though. The point is, however, no matter how hard you
study, or at what pace you study, if you keep at it, you can do it.

The post I love reader feedback! appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

A reader wrote:The Pacific Rim is literally on fire, and Jim Stonesaid that reader is right. DhiaDuit Shortwave 14 December 11th 16 02:20 AM
[KB6NU] Reader feedback KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin Equipment 0 December 4th 16 05:52 PM
Feedback! James Thompson Homebrew 6 April 26th 06 08:21 AM
antenna feedback adam214 Shortwave 3 January 29th 06 04:03 PM
RE; r-7 antenna feedback... Jean-Guy Antenna 0 April 17th 04 01:32 PM