Old March 26th 16, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] A dialogue with a reader

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

A dialogue with a reader

One of the consequences of publishing a study guide is that I get a lot of
e-mail from readers. I love getting this e-mail, and Im glad that my study
guides are helping people get into the hobby. Im always glad to field
questions from newcomers, too. Below is the transcript of an e-mail
exchange that I think might be of interest to other newcomers as well.

Hi, Dan:
Thank you so much for providing the No Nonsense study guide for the
Technician test. Though I went to a prep class put on by our local ham
club, I am certain if I hadnt had your guide I would not have passed my
Technician class test. 33 out of 35! I took the General test as well at the
same time, but it was clear I had a lot to learn, which is why I purchased
your General study guide.Â*
Millions of operators sent their first Morse Code using a J-38 straight key
like this one.
I can hardly wait for my callsign! Im also learning CW. Id like to be
involved with emergency services as well as just have fun.
Thanks again.
SteveÂ*(callsign pending)

Congratulations, Steve, and thanks for purchasing the General Class study
guide. If you have any questions about any off the material, please feel
free to e-mail me. Make sure that you download the errata from
kb6nu.com/study-guides.
And, once you get your ticket, please call me if you ever hear me on the
air.
73!
Dan KB6NU

Can you recommend any techniques for someone learning CW who just spaces
out during a one-minute exercise? I get maybe the first 45 minutes fairly
down, but then my mind just goes winging off somewhere.
Im using LCWO and trying to keep up there at 20 wpm When I go down to 5 wpm
to see what the test will be like, it drives me crazy!
Take care,Â*Steve

LCWO uses the Koch method. That’s a great way to learn the code. Another
method you might take a look at is the K7QO Code Course. It’s a series
of .mp3 files,, and quite different than the Koch method. Some folks prefer
K7QOs method to the Koch method.
Whatever method you use, DON’T downshift to 5 wpm ever. There’s no code
test anymore for any license classes, and even if there was, there’s no
reason to learn code so slowly.Â*
One thing I might suggest is to listen to CW on the ham bands, if you have
a SW radio. That’s how I taught myself Morse Code.Â*
73!
Dan KB6NU

I though there was a certification you had to pass to use CW Im new so I
could be wrong.

Nope. No certification needed. As soon as your license hits the database,
you’re good to go operating CW in the 80m, 40m, 15m, and 10m bands.Dan

Wow! Kinda scary to think all I have to do is believe Im ready,
huh? Â*Thanks for the info.

Don’t be scared. Remember, this is just a hobby, after all. And, when the
FCC gives you a license, that’s all you need.
What I tell people is that if they can copy all of the letters and numbers
just get on the air. You’ll learn a lot faster if you get on the air than
if you sit listening to code practice.
There’s a small space on 40m—7.110 to 7.125where a lot of slower operators
and newcomers hang out. If you make mistakes, so what? Everyone there is
just trying to try out CW and get better.
You didn’t say where you are, but if you’re in the eastern half of the
country, it might be possible for us to try and make a contact. I’d be
happy to try anyway, if and when you get an HF radio and an antenna in the
air.
73, Dan

Im in the Seattle area. But you never know. Thanks again for all your help.Â*

The post A dialogue with a reader appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.