Old March 31st 16, 07:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default [N6PSE] Lets talk Geography.

n6pse

Lets talk Geography.

https://n6pse.wordpress.com/2016/03/...alk-geography/

One of many examples of the US West Coast

One aspect of DXpeditions that I enjoy is working the most difficult, hard
to reach areas. When I have gone to Iraq, South Sudan, Yemen and Eritrea,
the most difficult-hard to reach area is the West Coast of North America.
As a DXpeditioner, its exciting to work the weaker signals that are far
away and see the magic of propagation working. In contrast, working local
callers hour after hour gets rather mundane. It is also enjoyable to hear
the excitement in the contact being made at the other end. We love hearing
Thanks for the new one! or 5NN TU NEW1. That is a small part of the reason
why we go to these places. We like to make guys happy. It is fun and
enjoyable for us. We dont like to reward cheaters and dishonorable hams.
That grates at all of us.

Another example of the West Coast.

For my purposes, I define the West Coast as British Columbia, Washington,
Oregon, California, Nevada and Arizona. One could also argue that Idaho and
New Mexico are in the West Coast of the USA and I would accept that.

I’ve been chagrined lately when I am on Dxpeditions or when I have heard
Dxpeditions calling for the West Coast and I hear stations in Colorado,
Wyoming and states east making their calls.

This area is generally considered the West Coast.

To me, these Dxers are ignoring the desire of the DX station and they are
essentially “thumbing their nose” at all of the Dxers on the West Coast who
are sitting in their shack listening to this.

I have blogged about this topic before as less than honorable behavior and
it continues. Yesterday, I was listening to the FT4JA Dxpedition to Juan de
Nova. They are about as far from California as you can get.

I was bemused to hear a very loud N-zero calling them from Colorado. After
making his contact, the N-zero then argued with a KC Kop on top of the DX
about whether he was on the West Coast or not. As I was making my call, I
un-keyed and heard the N-zero still making his argument. “Do the math”

I include British Columbia with this version of the West Coast.

I guess he figures that Colorado is just as far from FT4JA as California
is. Or perhaps he thinks he is more special or important than the thousands
of Dxers in California, Oregon, Arizona and Washington?

A smaller more defined area of the West Coast.

At VP8STI/VP8SGI, I made notes on a notepad of out of turn callers and less
than honorable callers. Each shift there would be 4-6 “special people” who
made their Hubris known to me. I did not acknowledge their calls and I did
not work them. Sort of a black list for the extent of my shift. Other
Dxpeditioners do this too. There is one certain Dxer in Oregon that makes
such an obnoxious pest of himself that it is amazing that he gets in the
log at all.

Another example of the West Coast.

I believe that “tough love” works for troubled teenagers and less than
honorable Dxers. If you act tough, you ought not to get the love.

What do you think?

What a crazy Ham Radio week!

https://n6pse.wordpress.com/2016/03/...am-radio-week/

Wow, this has been a crazy Ham Radio week for me. First off, I worked VK0EK
for an all time new one. That put me at 330 confirmed DXCC entities. I was
hoping to work FT4JA for #331 which would place me on the Honor Roll of
DXCC.

Then, the ARRL announced that Kingman Reef was a deleted entity! That
action reduced the number of entities by one, making 330 the new entry
point for Honor Roll. But before I could start any paper work, I worked
FT4JA today for another all-time new one, putting me at 331 confirmed
entities.

But to top all of that off, today the DXCC desk announced that P5/3Z9DX
would count for DXCC!* I have a very beautiful QSL card here in front of me
confirming my 15 meter SSB contact. This news puts me at 332 confirmed DXCC
entities!

Oh what a week this has been!

What do you think?

Lets Talk Radio Burr[_2_] Shortwave 4 November 9th 08 07:07 PM
Lets Talk DXing Burr Shortwave 5 March 20th 08 11:34 PM
Lets Talk Sedition Mark Fox Scanner 0 August 1st 03 05:21 PM
Lets Talk Sedition Mark Fox Shortwave 0 August 1st 03 05:21 PM
Lets Talk Sedition RedOctober90 Scanner 0 July 30th 03 02:55 PM