Old April 11th 16, 12:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KE9V] Georgia QSO Party

Perturbation

Georgia QSO Party

https://ke9v.net/2016/04/10/georgia-qso-party/

I waded into the Georgia QSO Party this afternoon. All 40 meter phone doing
the search & pounce routine. Im a terrible contest operator but I blame
some of it on my logging program. Its fancy enough to pull data from QRZ in
as I enter call signs.

If it only pulled address data that would be fine, but it also drags up
whatever photo appears on that operators QRZ page.Â*Im easily distracted and
if you pop a station photo of someone I just worked up on the screen, Im
off on a quest to see what all there is to see about the other guy.

Managing 21 contacts in 13 unique countiesÂ*(273 points) while also
researching each and every one of them in just an hour, well Im not
bragging but that wasnt half bad.

HTTPS Everywhere

https://ke9v.net/2016/04/10/https-everywhere/

WordPress.com has added encryption to the blogs they host, including this
one.

Today we are excited to announce free HTTPS for all custom domains hosted
on WordPress.com. This brings the security and performance of modern
encryption to every blog and website we host.

Most social services like Facebook and Twitter have supported HTTPS for a
while now, but WordPress.com was lagging behind for custom domain names.

But thanks to the work of the Lets Encrypt project, the automatic
conversion of over a million blogs to HTTPS was made easier and less
expensive.Â*Each website has an SSL certificate and will display a green
lock in the browser address bar when being viewed.

As the EFF points out as part of their Encrypt the Web initiative, strong
encryption protects our users in various ways, including defending against
surveillance of content and communications, cookie theft, account
hijacking, and other web security flaws.

In addition to supporting the quest for a more secure Web, Google also
announced HTTPS is now used as a ranking signal in search results, with
HTTPS-enabled sites being ranked above their plaintext counterparts.

Chalk it up as a win for the good guys.