Old May 14th 16, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2011, May 13, 2016

Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2011, May 13, 2016

Amateur Radio Newsline report number 2011 with a release date of
Friday, May 13, 2016 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a QST. Dayton Hamvention's coming soon and yes, it's
staying at Hara Arena. An experimental beacon over the Indian Ocean is
no more. And our top story, hams step in to help out as wildfires
ravage the Canadian province of Alberta. All this and more in Amateur
Radio Newsline Report 2011 coming your way right now.

(Billboard Cart Here and Intro)

**
ALBERTA WILDFIRES STIR HAMS TO ACTION

STEPHEN: We begin with this special report on the Alberta wildfires
from Amateur Radio Newsline's Kent Peterson, KC0DGY. He spoke this week
with one of the Canadian amateur radio operators who stepped in to
assist as the Fort McMurray wildfires continued to consume the
landscape in the Province of Alberta.

KENT: A devastating wildfire has hit the Fort McMurray Alberta Canada
area hard. The fire destruction covers a staggering three hundred
twenty eight square miles.

LEWIS: I'm OK. I'm surrounded by firefighters and cops, so what could
go wrong?

KENT: Newsline caught up with Amateur Radio Emergency Services operator
Matthew Lewis, VE6JI, who has been working in the Fort McMurray EOC

LEWIS: We did a call out on Monday when things started to get severe.
We made our presence known to the EOC and they accepted us. We set up a
VHF station in their parking lot and we made call outs to our amateurs.

KENT: The amateur community responded.

LEWIS: As far as outpouring, a huge amount, lots from the Calgary group
and the Edmonton group. They also got lots of contacts as well.

KENT: Lewis explains how important having an HF ham radio grab and go
kit can be.

LEWIS: Unfortunately we had left our houses, including all our gear,
because we were helping with something else. The two of us had portable
HF capabilities but didn't have our portable rigs with us. We hoped
that things would calm down and we could get a police escort back to
the house to get our gear, but that wasn't possible. There was concern
with loosing cellular service Telus which runs a lot of the towers.
They brought in cells on wheels, made those available set them up and
there was no communication issues, none. And after that it was
apparent there was no communications issues, so we lent a hand where
needed in the EOC.

KENT: The hams were told they could stand down.

LEWIS: The part that we would like people to know for our little group
up here is that eve though we weren't used there's still the
possibility, especially in remote communities that amateur radio is
still a necessity in the event of a communications failure like in the
overloading of infrastructure and things like that.

KENT: The good news for Lewis ... his home was still standing

LEWIS: The area that I live in miraculously survived. because of the
work of the firefighters. Amazing group of people! There was an army
fighting these fires and in some places they won and in some places
they lost.

KENT: For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Kent Peterson, KC0DGY.

**
AN HONOR FOR CANADA'S RESCUE VOLUNTEERS

STEPHEN: With emergency preparedness in the forefront now for Canadians
as a result of the wildfires, the province of nearby British Columbia
has honored two radio amateurs among several other volunteers. They
were recognized recently for their contributions to public safety and
crisis response. Amateur Radio Newsline's Jeremy Boot, G4NJH has mo

JEREMY: Two longtime radio amateurs in Canada were honored on 28 April
by the Province of British Columbia for their steady volunteer efforts
in the public interest: Alan Mallett, VA7AWM, from the Vancouver Island
region of the province, and George Merchant, VE7QH, from the SouthWest
region.

Alan, a director-at-large of the Westcoast Amateur Radio Association,
has been licensed since 1975. Since 2010, the retiree from the city of
Victoria has continued to serve the city as its auxiliary
communications group coordinator. The province presented him with the
Radio Communications Award.

George, a ham for more than 40 years, helped found the North Shore
Amateur Radio Club and the province-wide British Columbia Amateur Radio
Coordination Council. He has worked with the North Shore Emergency
Communications Team since its creation. He was presented with the 2016
Public Safety Lifeline Volunteer Award.

British Columbia has more than 13,000 public safety lifeline volunteers
who respond to an average of 6,000 annual incidents in the province.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Jeremy Boot, G4NJH.

(WESTCOAST AMATEUR RADIO ASSOCIATION NORTH SHORE NEWS BRITISH COLUMBIA,
BRITISH COLUMBIA WEBSITE)

**

COUNTDOWN TO DAYTON HAMVENTION

STEPHEN: The wait is almost over for the world's largest hamfest
-Dayton Hamvention - which opens in Hara Arena on May 20. The 61st such
gathering's events include a reception Saturday, May 21, hosted at the
National Voice of America Museum of Broadcasting. And as reported on a
recent episode of Ham Talk Live, it marks the debut of a 24-hour DX
station, complete with hex beams and full power amps.

And there's more news: It looks like Hamvention is staying at Hara
Arena for the time being: Hamvention's General Chairman, Jim Tiderman
N8IDS, made those assurances in a recent interview on Ham Talk Live
with Neil Rapp, WB9VPG.

JIM TIDERMAN: There were inquiries by our local fair board, the
Montgomery County Fair Board, who were looking to replace - and had
been looking at this for a number of years - their facility downtown.
And it just so happened that one of the areas was up around Hara. It
got turned around to the story that they were going to buy Hara Arena.
We have been in contact with the City of Trotwood officials The
spokesman for that has told us directly there is no ownership by
Trotwood of Hara Arena. It has no validity; it is straight rumor. That
is a story and it is not true. The fair board itself is doing its due
diligence to go out and look for new facilities, a venue where they can
have their fair at a new place they had been looking at for a number of
years. So it is all just information-gathering and it has nothing to do
with what is going to happen with Hamvention itself. So to alleviate
anything else, the first question is, "Is there going to be a
Hamvention 2017?" As far as we are concerned, yes there will be. Will
it be at Hara? Our plans call for that right now. Yes.

STEPHEN: That was Jim Tiderman N8IDS, speaking to Amateur Radio
Newsline's Neil Rapp on his podcast, Ham Talk Live. To hear the full
interview, visit the website, hamtalklive.com and select Episode 12.
And start packing for Dayton.

(HAM TALK LIVE, Episode #12, DAYTON HAMVENTION WEBSITE)

**

BREAK HE

Time for you to identify your station. We are the Amateur Radio
Newsline, heard on such bulletin stations as the United Radio Amateur
Club repeater, WA6LA, on Monday nights in Los Angeles, California.

**

BEACON EXPERIMENT CALLED OFF

STEPHEN: The Trans-Indian Ocean beacon was years in the planning, but
the experiment is over. Amateur Radio Newsline's Jason Daniels, VK2LAW,
tells us mo

JASON: It was supposed to help enable better VHF transmissions along
the challenging path between South Africa and Australia. But now the
VK6RIO Trans-Indian Ocean beacon is about to be no more.

The 2-meter beacon, using Chirp-modulation, had been a project of the
Northern Corridor Radio Group in Perth, Australia. It was designed to
detect openings on 144 MHz across the Indian Ocean via tropospheric
ducting and enable deeper study of propagation conditions across the
Indian Ocean. The VHF path between the two nations exceeds 8500
kilometers and the beacon's frequency was 144.950 MHz.

Researchers had great hope for its success: Chirp modulation can be
detected 50 decibels below the noise floor in a bandwidth of 2kHz. But
with the depreciating South African Rand and and a lack of local
support, however, researchers have called the project off.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Jason Daniels, VK2LAW, in Sydney,
Australia.

(SARL; AMATEUR RADIO VICTORIA; SOUTHGATE ARC)

**
RADIO SCOUTING REPORT

STEPHEN:: Radio Scouting is back again this week, activating Call sign
K2BSA. Here's Amateur Radio Newsline's Bill Stearns, NE4RD, with the
Scouts' latest on-air activities.

BILL'S REPORT: This week in Radio Scouting we have 1 activation of the
K2BSA callsign in Montana, and 3 other Scout Activities on the air.

I, Bill Stearns, NE4RD, will be the control operator for the portable 7
station at Pompeys Pillar National Monument in Worden, Montana, for
the Black Otter District's Spring Camporee on May 14th. Myself and
members of the Yellowstone Amateur Radio club will be operating HF on
20 and 15 m phone.

Matthew Murphy, KC8BEW, with the Muskingum Valley Council Radio Club,
W8MVC, will be operating a special event station at Arial Foundation
Park, Mt. Vernon, Ohio for Scoutfest 2016 on May 13th and 14th. Matthew
will be running 20 and 40 m phone, APRS, and demonstrating fox hunting.

Blaine Session, KD7ZRV, will be operating at Barton Park near Estacada,
Oregon for the 3R DISTRICT CAMPOREE. Blaine will be on 20 m and
onVHF/UHF.

Larrie Deardurff, AF7NU, will be operating at the Benton District,
Oregon Trail Council's Camporee on May 14th. Larrie will be setting up
an HF station on 20m phone.

Please help support this activity, and others involving youth in
amateur radio, by working and spotting them on the air and online. For
more information on K2BSA and radio scouting, please visit
http://www.k2bsa.net/.

For Amateur Radio Newsline and the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association,
this is Bill Stearns NE4RD.

**

SPECIAL EVENT IN STONE COUNTY

STEPHEN: Stone County, Mississippi is marking its centennial. And while
no one may have gone on the air in 1916 to celebrate when the county
was created, its 100-year birthday has inspired Special Event station
K5STO. The station is operating for the entire month of May, right
through 1159 UTC on Tuesday, May 31.

Hams who live in the area can look for the station operating, if
weather permits, from the grounds of the Stone County Courthouse on
Saturday, May 14 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more details on the station
itself, visit its page at QRZ.COM or look in the May issue of QST
magazine.

(TIM PURVIS, N5UDK)

**

FROM HAM RADIO LOG TO INTERNET VLOG

STEPHEN: Speaking of young radio amateurs, one college student in
upstate New York has taken the concept of Eyeball QSO to a new level.
She's started a ham radio video blog. We hear more from Amateur Radio
Newsline's Neil Rapp, WB9VPG.

NEIL: Computer engineering student Sara Tibbetts had big plans to one
day launch her own video blog, or VLOG.

SARA: So I have always wanted to have a video blog or VLOG as I like to
call it. I don't really know what attracted me to it. And for a very
very long time I did not know what I would blog about which I why I had
never started. But when I got into amateur radio, I saw that it was a
field where people are sort of drawn to me for a few reasons. A, I'm
young. B, I'm female. And C, it just seemed to like hey I have this
opportunity maybe it would be pretty cool.

NEIL: But she only got around to it after something unplanned happened
first: At the end of her freshman year, Sara, KD2GTM, got her amateur
license.

SARA: Right now, I have really kept it kind of simple, starter topics
that are pretty general to the field. But in the end I definitely want
to get more into specifics. I want to be able to work a little more
electronics into the blog."

NEIL: Now, the Rochester Institute of Technology student uses the VLOG
to cover the basics of her on-air experience and to chronicle her own
journey along the radio science learning curve.

SARA: You shouldn't be assuming these things. Like just because I am a
girl that doesn't mean that I can't be in amateur radio.

NEIL: And because she's right there on camera, her very image is able
to impart another important lesson - because viewers get to see that in
a community still populated mainly with male licensees, Sara Tibbets,
as a YL, is very much the face of ham radio today too.

Find Sara's blog on YouTube under the title of her call sign. And if
you're going to Dayton Hamvention this year, look for her there as
well. If you're a fan of her blog, you'll have no trouble recognizing
KD2GTM.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Neil Rapp, WB9VPG.

(SARA TIBBETTS, KD2GTM)

**

WORLD OF DX

A group of Australian operators using the call sign, VK9NT, willl work
from Norfolk Island from May 20 through May 31. They plan to be active
on all bands 160m to 10m on CW, SSB and RTTY. QSL manager is VK2CA.

Aaron VA1AXC will remain on the air from Sable Island as CY0/VA1AXC.
Find him on 20m SSB. His QSL info is direct to JE1LET.

Special event station 8J1ITU will be active from Kasumigaura City on
Honshu Island, Japan until May 31. The station celebrates World
Telecommunication Day, which is May 17.

Members of the Thailand DX Association, HSDXA, are planning to work as
E2X during the CQWW WPX CW Contest from May 28 to May 29. QSLs can be
sent via LoTW or to E20GMY.

(SOUTHGATE, IRTS)

**
KICKER: A MESS OVER A MAST

STEPHEN: Our final story is about some neighbors in one Australian
suburb who are plagued by a polarization that has more to do with
politics than radio signals. Here's Amateur Radio Newsline's John
Williams, VK4JJW.

JOHN: It appears that some residents in Morley, a suburb of Perth,
Australia, just don't have that Christmas spirit. OK, never mind that
this is May. And never mind that the pole that set off the whole
controversy in this neighborhood isn't exactly the North Pole. It's
actually an antenna mast, some 20.1 meters - or about 65 feet - high,
that one homeowner installed five years ago without apparent incident.

That would be John Roe, described as an "amateur radio enthusiast" in
the local press, but who is actually a flight radar "watcher". But John
Roe is more widely known as the Christmas Lights Man, famous for his
dramatic, animated holiday displays that have become the talk of
suburban Perth and beyond for more than two decades -- not to mention
lively and widespread media coverage. The annual holiday display has
120,000 lights and last year drew about 7,500 visitors, along with
various news reports.

But the media coverage John Roe is getting lately comes courtesy of the
Bayswater City Council, which wants him to submit the mast for planning
approval - retroactively - or face dismantling it altogether. Some
authorities object to any retroactive application altogether, claiming
the mast is simply inconsistent with the town's planning design and not
in compliance. They say it has to go.

Since the dustup over the mast, The Bayswater Council has received
petitions in support of it and against it. The drama continues. And so
far, council members have simply deferred any decision on whether,
ultimately the Christmas Lights Man will be found to be naughty ornice.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm John Williams, VK4JJW, in Queensland,
Australia.

(THE EASTERN REPORTER)

**
NEWSCAST CLOSE: With thanks to Alan Labs; Amateur Radio Victoria; the
ARRL; Bill Stearns NE4RD; CQ Magazine; DX.NET; The Eastern Reporter
newspaper; Ham Talk Live; Hap Holly and the Rain Report; Irish Radio
Transmitter Society; Neil Rapp, WB9VPG; QSL.NET; QRZ.COM., South
African Radio League; Southgate Amateur Radio News; TIM PURVIS, N5UDK;
TWiT TV; West Virginia DX Association; Westford Kiwanis Club; Wireless
Institute of Australia; and you our listeners, that's all from the
Amateur Radio Newsline. Our email address is .
More information is available at Amateur Radio Newsline's only official
website located at
www.arnewsline.org.

We also remind our listeners that there's still time to nominate
candidates for the 2016 Bill Pasternak Young Ham of the Year Award.
This honor recognizes licensed amateurs who are no older than 19 and
living in the U.S., Puerto Rico or Canada, and who have made
significant contributions to ham radio and their community. To download
an application form, visit our website, www.arnewsline.org, and click
on the tab for "Y-H-O-T-Y." Completed applications should be sent to:
The Young Ham of the Year Award, in care of Amateur Radio Newsline
Inc., Editorial Office, P.O. Box 451, Huntington Station, New
York11746.

For now, with Caryn Eve Murray, KD2GUT, at the news desk in New York,
and our news team worldwide, I'm Stephen Kinford, N8WB, in Wadsworth,
Ohio, saying 73 and as always we thank you for listening. Amateur Radio
Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2016. All rights reserved.