Old August 11th 16, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KE9V] Broken Trust

Perturbation

Broken Trust

https://ke9v.net/2016/08/10/broken-trust/

While I enjoy spinning the dial across the bands and working a new one on
rare occasions, I can count on two (or maybe three) hands the number of big
DX operations that Ive actually chased.

I enjoy DX but am not afflicted with the dengue it inspires in so many
radio enthusiasts.

Thats easy for me right now because Im currently on hiatus from HF
activities. Band conditions are abysmal and I really dont think Im missing
a thing. But I do try to stay up to date on the latest operations and where
the big boys are going next as the appeal for me is radio adventureÂ*and not
just verifiable confirmations and numbers.

But having read this recent treatise from Paul, N6PSE Im not sure whatever
interest I had in DXing will ever be re-kindled. From here to eternity,
whenever I see a call sign on the Honor Roll, I wont think about the hours
in the chair or the radio prowess required for its achievement.

I will instead wonder how many of those calls are legitimate and how many
are just cheats and liars who have for all purposes, broken trust with the
game of DX and ruined it forever in the process.

Changes

https://ke9v.net/2016/08/10/changes/

According to the ARRL, the amateur radio service continues to enjoy brisk
growth in the United States:

The ARRL VEC Department reports that 20,447 new US Amateur radio licenses
have been issued since January 1. That’s nearly 1500 ahead of the number
that had been issued by this time last year. At the present pace, the US is
on track to exceed 30,000 new radio amateurs for the third straight year by
the end of the year.

But there are those who never seem happy with any success.

The FCC has proposed to revise the Amateur Service Part 97 rules in
response to the ARRL’s so-called “Symbol Rate” Petition for Rule Making
(RM-11708), filed in late 2013, and it has invited comments on its
recommended changes.

And then theres this from the recent ARRL Board Meeting:

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that an ad hoc committee be established to examine
the current license exam requirements for the Technician Class license and
make recommendations for change, including consideration of a new entry
license class, to the Board for possible changes that might be recommended
to create a more targeted examination with a more limited set of privileges
that would attract a new generation of amateurs.”

A new license class thats EASIER to obtain with FEWER privileges?

How much easier can it be to obtain an amateur radio license? The current
entry-level test is simple, requires only a C+ grade to successfully pass,
and is administered in your own home town by local volunteers. The results
(30,000 new hams again this year) of the current license structure are
self-evident.

I remember when a few business geniuses had this idea to tinker with a very
popular and successful recipe and the result was New Coke