Old November 11th 03, 06:34 PM
G. Doughty

Default To trust which SWR meter

I have an Icom 718 hooked through a tuner (mfj-901b) to an SWR meter. When
tuning my 50ft. attic dipole, the external swr meter reads differently than the
718's. Which one do I gauge measurements?

Thank
73
G. Doughty

Old November 11th 03, 07:03 PM
G. Doughty

sorry. meter is between icom and tuner. meter is an rs model so not so sure
how accurate it may be. It does allow for calibration though.
73
G. Doughty

Old November 11th 03, 08:17 PM
Reg Edwards

GD, you are asking the wrong question.

It doesn't matter two hoots which meter gives the correct indication. Almost
certainly neither of them do. And if by some remote chance their indications
were identical they would be no more likely to be correct.

But your transmitter will feel far safer, much happier and comfortable, if
its own internal meter, provided by the manufacturer, is used for tuning-up
purposes.

The purpose of the meter is NOT to measure SWR on a transmission line which
doesn't exist, but to indicate whether or not the transmitter is loaded with
its correct value of resistance.

( The best way of checking a so-called SWR meter is to locate it as near as
possible to the transmitter and replace the feedline+antenna with a 50-ohm
resistor.)
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old November 11th 03, 08:19 PM
Richard Clark

On 11 Nov 2003 19:03:32 GMT, ojunk (G. Doughty)
wrote:

sorry. meter is between icom and tuner. meter is an rs model so not so sure
how accurate it may be. It does allow for calibration though.
73
G. Doughty

Hi OM,

Calibration is simple enough. Load into a good dummy load and observe
any residual SWR. Residual SWR is either the product of poor
connections, poor calibration, or a poor load.

Using a known, good wattmeter in series with the SWR meter, adjust the
drive of your source to obtain full scale deflection of the SWR meter.
Observe its power reading and compare to the known wattmeter.

If it is off, there is generally a range adjustment for correcting
that error. However, as power measurement has easily the worst chance
of being confirmed, there is very little merit (and only ego to be
served) in making any change on the basis of accuracy. You may if you
wish, but it offers every prospect of upsetting the SWR display.

If you are testing scales, it also is incumbent upon you to reverse
the SWR meter connections and confirm there is no Residual SWR in that
direction too. Few aficionados travel this path and rely wholly on
manufactured mismatches to perform to worse performance. You can also
repeat the power scaling in this direction too (be aware that it will
be a smaller full-scale swing). There may, or may not be another
range adjustment available to you.

You don't even need a second wattmeter if you simply discard the
notion of absolute "accuracy." You can use the forward scale to
calibrate the reverse scale (after having reversed the input/outputs
too) to sufficient relative "accuracy" for most needs (like measuring
SWR).

If you had no residual SWR, and did make an adjustment, you should
then repeat the step above to confirm no residual SWR has crept into
the mix.

Needless to say, there are a variety of meter designs. Some will have
up to 3 adjustments: one for each range (forward/reverse) and one for
overall gain (actually a variable cap to adjust for the meter's
frequency characteristics, usually at the high end of its service
range). No calibration is done with three tweaks. You will have to
repeat the steps above to drive out the interactions of each
adjustment with the other. You will have to repeat all the steps
above on each band. You will encounter "some" error somewhere (you
WILL measure Residual SWR). What this means is that you will have to
spread that error such that all operating scenarios will contain some,
but not all of it. On the other hand, if you use a wide range meter
on one or two neighboring bands alone, you can indeed drive out the
error.

Focus on the meter with the most readable scale. The Radio Shack
meter's I've seen have fairly good 'tronics even in those specifically
for the low end, CB market. What you should look for is complete
shielding, bypassed meter wiring, and robust connectors. You can even
replace their resistors with small Cermet trimmers (choose a
replacement value of 80% to 120% of original value).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old November 11th 03, 10:20 PM
PMac

HI, I have always found the first SWR meter in line is the correct reading,
the second one's reading is affected by the first......meaning the one in
the transceiver should be correct..... several of my recent rigs with
inbuilt SWR meters have indicated this. If you tune your ATU to the second
meter in line your PA may not be as happy....cya Peter

Old November 12th 03, 12:48 AM
Dave VanHorn

"PMac" wrote in message
HI, I have always found the first SWR meter in line is the correct

reading,
the second one's reading is affected by the first......meaning the one in
the transceiver should be correct..... several of my recent rigs with
inbuilt SWR meters have indicated this. If you tune your ATU to the

second
meter in line your PA may not be as happy....cya Peter

Two birds in line will read the same thing.
Meter B is not affected by meter A.
I think one or more of your meters needs work, or you have a lot of RF on
the outside of the shield?

Maybe the meter's sampling section isn't designed for the band it's being
used in?

Old November 12th 03, 11:20 PM
'Doc

"G. Doughty",
Just for curiosity's sake, what is the difference in
readings?
'Doc

Smith Chart Quiz Radio913 Antenna 315 October 21st 03 05:31 AM
How the SWR meter works. Reg Edwards Antenna 4 September 26th 03 06:46 PM
Info on Daiwa CN 101 SWR/Power Meter Tarmo Tammaru Antenna 1 September 12th 03 02:31 AM
Length of Coax Affecting Incident Power to Meter? Dr. Slick Antenna 140 August 18th 03 08:17 PM