Old August 14th 16, 06:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [W2LJ] South Plainfield's 90th

W2LJ's Blog - QRP - Do More With Less.

South Plainfield's 90th

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

SPARC set up NJ2SP to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of the founding of
South Plainfield. Do we know how to pick a day for a Special Event, or
what? It was sunny, hot and humid with temperatures reaching the triple
digit mark, as we hit 100F (38C).

I think Dave KD2FSI put it well when he said, "For KD2FSI and W2LJ, every
day is Field Day!" Dave and I brought our equipment to Putnam Park, one of
South Plainfield's beautiful parks, and we quickly set up two stations.
Dave set up the SSB station, which worked primarily on 20 Meters, using a
Buddipole dipole that Dave erected, using a drive-on mast support, some
masting and a painter's pole.

I set up the CW station and today, I decided to use the EARCHI antenna,
which consists of 25' of coax to a 9:1 UNUN connected to a 53 foot radiator.

You can se the coax and UNUN - if your eyes are good, you'll see the
radiator running of into the tree, off to the right.

We had a pretty decent turnout, with lots of Guest Operators as well as
some visitors.

Of course, as during Field Day, NJ2SP operated strictly from battery power.

And even though it was hot, and we didn't make scores of contacts, we had a
good time and a fun day. We had some newer Hams, who don't have HF
stations at home, sit behind the microphone and work some shortwave. They
had a blast! We had visitors come and make this a nice social event as
well as an operating event. In plain English, we had a good ol' time!

And in the end, that's what this is all about. Getting off our duffs,
getting on the air and having fun!
72 de Larry W2LJQRP - When you care to send the very least!

90th birthday? Stephen Thomas Cole[_3_] Antenna 2 December 7th 15 11:45 AM
South Africa On Now SW4ever Shortwave 1 November 7th 07 10:20 AM
A South African first John Plimmer Shortwave 2 March 16th 07 03:30 PM
South Africa! Alun L. Palmer Policy 216 March 18th 05 12:19 PM
Heading South Burr Patterson, Jr. Shortwave 13 November 3rd 04 06:58 AM