Old January 26th 17, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [W2LJ] Skunked again - sort of.

W2LJ QRP .... Do More With Less

Skunked again - sort of.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

I got on the air last night, in my 62F (16C) shack in order to participate
in the 40 Meter QRP Foxhunt. These hunts have been deplorable for me this
year, with hardly any success. Last night was no different. The Foxes
were NK6A in California and KV2X in New York. I didn't hear either one of
them - although W1AW/KP4 was absolutely booming in to NJ.

Instead of turning the radio off and running upstairs to warmer quarters
and an episode of MacGyver on MeTV, I decided to participate for a bit in
the NAQCC 160 Meter Sprint. Just for grins and giggles, I did the search
and pounce thing for better part of a half an hour, and also called CW for
about 15 minutes or so.

Although my W3EDP tunes up on 160 Meters, thanks to the dazzling auto tuner
inside the KX3 (I'd swear that thing would tune up a strand of wet
spaghetti), I was probably sending RF into the HF equivalent of a rubber
duckie antenna. Even so, with 5 Watts I made 10 contacts, ranging from
Maine, down to North Carolina and as far west as Michigan. Not a band
burner in any sense of the concept; but satisfying enough for an evening
that looked pretty bleak, Foxhunt-wise.

What was also satisfying is that, thanks to a great suggestion gleaned from
Facebook, I successfully stowed away my magloop antenna. A few weeks ago,
I went onto the DIY Magloop page and asked for suggestions on how the
various members stored and carried their loops.

One of the suggestions was a stuff sack - a nylon bag with a draw string
that normally you would use to stow away a sleeping bag or other camping
equipment. I went to Amazon and purchased this in the 25" (63 cm) version.

It's made by Liberty Mountain. The longest piece of the antenna fits with
room to spare, and the coiled up loop of LMR400 went in very nicely. It
doesn't look like as picturesque the above photo, as I'm not stowing away a
sleeping bag - but it will serve its purpose very well.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

[W2LJ] Skunked again - sort of. W2LJ via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin Dx 0 January 26th 17 03:48 PM
(OT, sort of) [email protected] Shortwave 6 April 14th 10 02:27 PM
Sort of OT jim CB 3 June 10th 08 02:29 AM
(sort of OT) [email protected] Shortwave 0 March 15th 05 08:47 AM
OT (sort of) GPS Active8 Homebrew 6 July 13th 03 10:49 AM