Old June 2nd 18, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [KB6NU] You only see old guys at hamfests because theyre designed for old guys

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

You only see old guys at hamfests because theyre designed for old guys

Tom, KB5RF, forwarded an email from SOTAbeams that included the following
comments from Richard, G3CWI, the companys CEO:

Radio Rallies: a few thoughts

There is no doubt in my mind that here in the UK the people attending radio
rallies (hamfests) are getting older but looking around at some of these
events, thereÂ*is probably littleÂ*to attract a younger age group. Most of
what newer hams want can be bought online and tables loaded with ancient
gear priced well above what a new HT costs, are clearly not appealing. If
you attend many rallies you see the same (old) traders with the same old
radios time after time so they dont sell much.

[]

Of course, its not all doom and gloom as attendees at rallies are not
representative of the whole amateur radio population, but it would be a
shame if they died out.

I had a similar thought recently—at a hamfest no less. The guy at the next
table and I got to talking about how you mainly see old guys at these
events anymore. (Indeed, he and I are both in our 60s.) It hit me then that
you only see old guys at these events because theyre geared to old guys. As
G3CWI points out, when the tables are loaded with ancient gear that cost
well above what an HT costs, theres little to attract a younger group.

Im not sure what the answer is. Im not even sure that theres anything that
can be done. Recently, a club here in the Detroit area tried opening later
(10 am vs. 8 am) and closing later, thinking that might help attract more
hams. Unfortunately, that didnt seem to work. Mostly everyone, including me
left by 12:30 pm or so.

It would be a shame if hamfests die out completely. I hope that someone
figures out the magic formula soon.

The post You only see old guys at hamfests because theyre designed for old
guys appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Hi Guys Dawson Shortwave 6 July 26th 08 01:14 AM
All Right You Guys Burr Shortwave 2 August 22nd 04 07:51 PM
Okay,Guys..here's what I did!!! parkersmith Shortwave 11 February 18th 04 04:05 AM
Okay,Guys..here's what I did!!! parkersmith Shortwave 0 February 16th 04 09:23 AM
You Guys (ot) me Shortwave 8 February 8th 04 05:58 PM