Old December 20th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default More Morkie Mularkie

wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:37:18 -0600, Mike Coslo
wrote:

A little bit of a different perspective if I may.

I am quite hard of hearing. Tinnitus is the main problem. Imagine
trying to copy code with 20 over 9 noise. Haven't experienced silence since
I was 18 y.o. Plus I have several frequency holes in my hearing, estimated
at over 100 db deep.

I studied Morse code for over 6 months, several hours a day. All that
to get to around 7wpm, a level at which a number of code proficient hams
won't even bother to communicate with me.

Flunked Element 1 the first time, a bit of humiliation for a person
who is used to reading something once, then aceing the test.

After passing, I try a bit of CW Morse from time to time, but mostly
do things like PSK and RTTY, which are visual in nature. I can also contest
on SSB and PSK/RTTY, and am very active in Amateur radio, including public
service, and am the chairman of the premier State QSO party in the country.
Not too bad for a person who could barely pass the Morse code test -
according to some, the litmus test of worthyness. Yeah, I'm a nickle extra.
Big deal. I only passed 5 wpm, and you're a jerk.
(those who would determine worthyness in relation to the speed at which
they can swipe a paddle)

I am the poster child for elimination of the Morse code proficiency
requirement.

I wasted % year not manging it mike I am gald you had a choice I did
not

What's a "%" year, Morkie? Is that kinda like a leap year...?!?!

I also get tired of the cripple chaste BS I am crippled could do
theefore anybody could code testing is dead can we let bashing people
as lazy die with it?

Not one coherent thought in there, Morkie...Not one.

But!

When I first got involved in Ham Radio in 1999, a lot of people told
me that I should hold off on the upgrade, because Morse code proficiency
was going to go away "soon".

I didn't listen to them, and I'm glad, because all I would have done
is cheated myself out of 8 maybe 9 years of the best hobby I've ever found.
It was worth all the trouble and more.

So if you have waited for the Morse code testing to go away to upgrade,
then congratulations, and welcome to the fraternity, but please accept my
sympathy for cheating yourself out of a few years of this incredible hobby.

no cheating here

No cheating...just bribing...

Finally, if KB7ADL is indeed "Slow Code", I would suggest that you
look at your own behavior and decide if it is consistent with the type of
people who are in amateur radio who know Morse code well. However nothing
is entirely good or bad. The "Slow Code" crosspostings finally got me off
the stick to get a newsreader that could filter out the Morse code drivel
and the bizzare crosspostings from people with *serious* issues. Thank you!

SC is abd ham if a ham at all and KB7ADL is foolish one wether he is
SC or not

What's a(n) "abd" ham, Morkie?

U S E E N G L I S H fatboy!

Steve, K4YZ

Thirty Helpful Hints For KB9RQZ and His New Found Voice Priviledges (With Thanks AND Apologies To Slow Code...) [email protected] Policy 4 December 21st 06 02:48 PM
More Morkie Mularkie...And He Provides Own Evidence of His Own Misquoting K4YZ Policy 4 December 14th 06 12:35 PM
More Morkie Mularkie K4YZ Policy 0 December 1st 06 09:29 AM
More Morkie Mularkie [email protected] Policy 0 November 30th 06 11:22 AM
More Morkie Mularkie...And KB9RQZ Says Learning Code is EASY! K4YZ Policy 1 September 26th 06 01:17 PM