Old December 30th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America," according to CDC

From: on Sat, Dec 30 2006 4:04 am

From: on Fri, Dec 29 2006 3:22 pm
From: on Thurs, Dec 28 2006 6:04 pm
wrote:
Stefan Wolfe wrote:

Hey Len, you've been flaming code on these groups since at least 1996...I
can still remember when you got on the rec.radio groups the first time.

No you can't. There was no Stefan Wolfe here in 1996. And there is no
amateur radio license issued to Stefan Wolfe.

Maybe he was a UK ham troll then?

I have to congratulate the UK trolls. They're the best.

A few of them are totally off-the-wall, though. :-)

Was I on that early? :-) I was on BBSs and doing letter-
writing a lot earlier than that, over a decade before.

I'm sure "Stefan" recalls that, too.

"Stefan" knows all, sees all.

Where the fork do these TROLLS come from, Brian? :-(

There's this bridge in England...

Ah, SO! :-) Wonder if its near where the Gremlins come
from?

This twit obviously wants to FIGHT with words. Poor guy is
already gunned down and carted off to Boot Hill but he not
know it...

The un-SK.

Prolly another morse zombie...the walking dead...

On the other hand, I've memorized a few formulas a tad more
complicated than Ohms's Law of Resistance...so that probably
is "rocket science" to some amateurs.

Can this formula be put into Excel?

Plural, please. I'm sure the formulas can be put into Excel.
They can be stuffed into ALL high-level computer languages.

Resonance: F=1/(Omega*Sqrt(L*C)) Omega=2*Pi

A few keystrokes on my HP 32SII pocket calculator yields the
answer within a second. I store Omega in one of the number
registers.

Now you no longer need that skill and the doors have swung open. Does that
mean you will make yourself and your brilliant mind available to the
unwashed masses of hams

There are no unwashed masses of hams. Maybe there are a few
individuals at hamfests that might pay more attention to personal
hygeine, but no masses.

Hmmm...the average ham mass is about 77 Kg. :-)

Maybe the desk-bound contester is 10 Kilo more from sitting
in front of his raddio for so long? :-)

Just WHAT am I supposed to "make available" to those ham
"masses?" Does Steppin Wolfe expect miracles from the
brass-pounders who've tried to pound ME for years about
their love for morse code?

What happened to all the "smarts" among the brass-pounders?
Why couldn't THEY do the "innovation" for their "unwashed"
brethren? None of the brass-pounders seem to answer that.

They're just very average people, with the exception of playing human
modem.

SLOW-speed modem, Brian. Like my fancy-schmansy 300/1200 baud
modem gathering dust in the workshop...way too slow for modern
personal computer hook up...the 56K baud plug-and-play card in
my HP box does it better without waiting a half day for a short
download.

Some of those Mighty Macho Morsemen pound what they think
are the chest mass of King Kong...but are still little
code monkeys dancing to the manual morse organ of that
publishing house in Connecticutt. I doubt many of them
could climb even a few stairwells of the Empire State
building in NYC...with or without biplanes buzzing
around trying to shoot them.

Len, that was mean.

YES, it was, wasn't it? :-) In my opinion the morsemen
DESERVED such responses after their years of self-defined,
self-proclaimed "expertise" in an all-but-dead mode.

Thinking back to what I've written in here, I've NOT said
much about "achievements possible if the code test was
removed." That wasn't my point. The code test for an
AMATEUR radio license was just an anachronism, a left-over,
something that mattered ONLY to the very old timers who
had to take it (and therefore everyone else has to take it
too).

Uphill in the snow both ways.

...and barefoot! :-)

Morse code was NEVER an intellectual achievemnt, NEVER a
'technology.' It was, is, and will remain, just a psycho-
motor skill acquired through hours of practice. It requires
an APTITUDE for the on-off patterns similar to drumbeat
rhythms. Some take a VERY long time to master it at slow
speeds while others can learn quickly to achieve high rates.

Some got to learn it in the military, including three hots and a cot,
or the threat of being infantry or potato peeler.

As the old saying goes, "Infantry is better than adultery."

W3RV, K8MN, and K4YZ will be LOST behind the front panel of
any radio having semiconductors. N2EY now builds KITS
using semiconductors...his last described tube rig was a
kluge of tube circuits made from the equivalent of dumpster
diving (minimal cost some kind of achievement). Hans
probably can go behind the front panel and understand things
since he remains working in true high-tech electronics (the
only questions there is his being a 'manager,' a postion
not always held has having real-savvy technical smarts by
those working in the electronics industry). :-)

Sometimes they are referred to as "Dump Huck."

Well, using the phrase "Dump Huck" is supposed to be 'better'
that writing 'Dumb ****.' The ILLUSION of the aphorism is
(to some folks) more acceptible even if both meant the same
thing. :-)

I recall Cecil succumbing to their jeers to join them on CW. Poor
******* so wanted to prove himself to them that he operated CW with a
thunderstorm overhead and lightning alqds. After such heroics, they
still don't like his ideas and ostracize him.

Firmly-entrenched Morsemen CAN'T STAND free-thinkers like
Cecil Moore. Morsemen "MUST" obey the standards and
practices of amateur radio of the 1930s. Non-acceptance
of that dictum will result in ostracism, possibly (horrors!)
ex-communication! :-)

FCC 06-178 will become LAW of the USA soon. Whatever follows
(insofar as amateur radio is concerned) will happen. The
"predictions" in here are just Guesses, suppositions based
on individual's mode biases. What will be will be...

Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music.

Doris Day in an Alfred Hitchcock film co-starring Jimmy Stewart.
[forgot the film name but couldn't forget the often-played song
"Que sera, sera" sung by Doris]

BTW, we've got "The Sound of Music" recorded on our digital
cable TV box from HBO. It's the UNCUT version in widescreen
and the clarity, detail, and music is wonderful, soooo much
better than the old analog TV. The Time-Warner cable service
box has a Tivo-like recorder with about 20 hour capacity...
no loss at all in HDTV clarity. The uncut version is over
two hours long. Something to think about for the family for
home entertainment. HDTV receiver prices are beginning to
decline now.

Ya know, in this new millennium, with HDTV, cellular telephones,
Roombas and Scoobas, personal computers, it just doesn't make
sense to keep the morse code requirement for an amateur radio
activity. I'm glad the FCC is finally bringing the US amateur
radio regulations somewhat into the 2000s (well, at least
close to it).

I wonder how long "The Sound of Music" transmission time would
be if done in morse code? 200 days? 20 years? :-)

73,
LA