Old January 17th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default One way to promote learning of code ...

wrote:

thinks about his rank-title-status and decides he
is "better than anybody" who can't do as "good" as
himself.

Well, Len, the way you write here indicates that
you think you're better than everybody ;-)

Old January 17th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:

Brian, I've said it before and I'll say it again: My advocacy
was for the elimination of the code test for any US amateur
radio license.

That's never been disputed, Len.

The questions a

Why? (since you are not involved in amateur radio)

and

What *else* is your advocacy about?

Since that is almost a legal fact, I won't be
bothering the happy little in-group of middle-aged-crisis
morse mavens that the moderated group evidences
becoming.

IOW, you won't be part of a moderated NG because you
won't be able to misbehave there.

I find NO joy in keeping up the farcical fantasy
of amateur radio constantly recreating "pioneer" times in
radio a half century after the actual pioneering...or, worse
yet, their idea that having a radio hobby is somehow
"serving their country."

It's not about what *you* like, Len.

Your attitude seems to be that if it's not fun for *you*, nobody else
should have fun doing it either.

The way that most of the
morsemen act is like the re-enacters of old battles such
as the American Civil War...

How, Len?

AS IF they are the "generals"
who - this time - will ensure that the South won, not lost.
:-( [in their minds maybe, but not in reality]

That's just nonsense.

I've found that ALL of electronics ("radio" is a subset of
that) is a fascinating subject and still find it so. By itself.

That's nice.

Amateur Radio isn't just about electronics, though.

I don't need some "national organization" to tell me so or
pump up my wish-fulfillment.

Then why do you roll out your ieee membership at every opportunity?

There's an infinity more yet
to come as the technology continues to evolve. I'll keep
on with that.

How?

When's the last time you actually built a radio, Len? One
with the latest technology you keep harping about? Something
that was done for its own sake, not for money?

Those that strive for Control, for putting up a
facade of being "better" at ancient skills, can go have their
opinion orgasms in a tight little enclave of elite "gods of
radio" full of "contests" and exhortations of "mastering"
morse (because they think they did) and all "should" be
nearly as good as they are.

Sounds like you're jealous, Len.

There's a kind of person who, when confronted with something
they can't do quite as well as some other folks, or who cannot
dominate a group and force them to follow, proceed to put
down the activity.

For example, the kid who wants to play baseball, and wants
to be the pitcher - but simply can't throw as well as some
of the others. So the kid puts down baseball as a dumb game
and makes fun of those who play the game.

...just waiting for FCC 06-178 to become legal law...

Why?

What difference will it make to you?

Old January 17th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
thinks about his rank-title-status and decides he
is "better than anybody" who can't do as "good" as
himself.
Well, Len, the way you write here indicates that
you think you're better than everybody ;-)
I don't see how. Len has no amateur rank-title-status...

Actually he does:

His rank as an amateur is "Pre-Beginner"

His title is "Kibitzer"

His status is "Inactive"

So Len will achieve neophyte status once if ever he should obtain a license?

Yet the way he writes, he thinks he's better than everyone and
anyone in amateur radio.

That has long been evident. Amateur radio makes Leonard angry. The
ARRL makes Len angry. The idea that some radio ham knows more about a
topic than him, makes Leonard angry. Len has problems with authority,
seniority, titles, the Morse Code (and those who use it) and with mere
amateurs who do something for the love of it.

That's what makes it all the more peculiar. Len likes to tell us that
he is a PROFESSIONAL writer and that he did BIG TIME radio over a half
century back. Did you know that Len belongs to the IEEE?

Really? ;-) I suppose some folks could have missed that, the first
couple of
hundred times he mentioned it.

I figured that there were people who might have missed that or the story
of Len's "BIG TIME" in HF radio. For a guy who doesn't need status, Len
certainly takes every opportunity to remind us of his status.

Most of all, Len thinks his experiences of long ago in non-amateur
radio
should cause everyone in amateur radio to respect, honor and agree with
him - regardless of how he behaves. Regardless of their own experience,
education, knowledge and skills, all amateurs should yield to and
support
Len's opinions over all others, never disagreeing with him or pointing
out
his errors of fact or logic.

That pretty well sums it up. Have you noticed that every time I bring
up Len's sphincter post, he goes silent for a period? He has never
acknowledged it as a bald-faced whopper. He likewise clammed up when I
pointed out his denigration of a fellow military veteran (me), yet he is
quick to wrap himself in bunting, mount the soapbox and rail against any
perceived slight to himself as a military veteran. Len is a riddle,
wrapped in an enigma and dipped in red, white and blue.

I have him pegged as an angry old guy who happened to choose amateur
radio as his target.

Dave K8MN