Old February 3rd 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Schlecks' Schlock!

Dave Heil wrote:
From what I've read here, you might be the first rejected but not the
most rejected.

Personal ad hominem attacks devoid of any
redeeming value will certainly bite the
dust in a moderated newsgroup.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old February 3rd 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

" wrote in
On Feb 1, 1:10?pm, "Dee Flint" wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

I filter based on content, not whether or not I agree with the
poster. My wife walked in one day while I was reading the group and
wondered what kind of filthy things I was involved in. If someone is
going to post abberant stuff, they go into the bozo bin. As well as
people who feel compelled to post hundreds of unreadable messages a day.

Agree, except I just don't "filter." I've had long practice
in skim-reading to "sort" out what MIGHT be worthwhile to read
in more detail.

My wife and I have "his and her" computers here in the home
office. We can see each others' screens just by turning to
glance at them. We DO respect that each of us have different
interests in addition to common ones. Heh heh, when I'm
doing schematics using Paint, she kids me about "doing dirty
pictures again." [they result in very clean schematics,
really...:-) ]

Telling a person that they are acting stupid is quite different than
telling them they are stupid. However my opinion is telling them
they are acting stupid is ok, telling them the are stupid is
marginal, while name calling is unacceptable (Nun of the Above,
Herr Oberst, and so on).

Riiiight, and "Foghorn Lenhorn" is perfectly acceptable in
addition to "novice in radio" and other snarly epithets.
As long as one is a morse code enthusiast (nee' evangelist).

If someone acts as arrogant as some have in here they
should welcome the "title" they have worked so hard for.
If another wants to ruler-spank what he/she thinks are
naughty children then they should not be upset when the
"children" turn out to be unfriendly to them.

There can be safety and security among a group of like-minded.
All can sit around and give each other high-fives for being so
"brilliant, brave, strong, wise, etc., etc., etc." In there you
can
severely criticize all who DARE oppose such "brilliant, brave,
strong, wise et-ceteras" in complete, but false, presumption
that you rule. Self-deception in addition to self-righteousness.

I've seen it in action, Len. I belong to one moderated group to get
schedules of events. If a disagreeing post makes it onto the board, the
"moderator" clamps down and people are wanred on to post any more
disagreeing posts.

Mike, no sweat, know where you are coming from. Due to
chronological age differences, I've been "seeing" that for a
half-century-plus...IN radio and away from the 'Net, the BBSs,
and all that computer-modem comms things. Computer comms
weren't really widespread until around 1980 and my experience
goes three decades before that.

Been there, done that, might have a garage sale to get rid of
all those old T-shirts. :-)

The newsgroup is like watching Teletubbies. All nice and cozy, with
people saying "I like that", and others saying "yea, I like that too,
isn't it wonderful? Yes, it's really wonderful. Isn't ot great that it's
wonderful?"

Ick.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh...

Been a LONG time since I baby-sat kiddies watching Satiddy TV
shows.
But, I CAN envision some purple dinosaurs doing what you describe.
Some of them are in here!. We've got the self-defined "Mr. Rogers"
types being almost nauseatingly 'pleasant' and absolutely NON-
violent
but being able to sneer and talk-down the "inferior" types with a
SEG all over their phizz.

The "ostrich syndrome" is very real in human groupings. Folks WANT
to see only what is acceptiable to Them. The parallel is that the
world only revolves about Them and Theirs and all who don't go
around in Their circles should be "eliminated." Deep down they are
both ego-driven and don't have the guts to see/experience REALITY.
Reality ain't pleasant 24/7. The universe wan't created to serve
Them despite their firm convictions that is was SO (and nyah-nyah).

Excuse me, the Masters are calling and expect me to Serve Them.
Little do they know what I put in Their cervezas. :-)

Irreverently yours,
LA

Old February 4th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"KH6HZ" wrote in
:

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

You remind me that there is a sizable fraction of people in the US
who believe that there shouldn't be free speech.

Hardly. Please do not put words in my mouth.

I'm not putting words in your mouth. Although your sensitivity to
the statement is interesting.

I fully support the right of folks like Mark Morgan to spew their
excrement all they want.

However, I also realize that freedom of speech does not mean you are
entitled to a free printing press provided by the government. Your
freedom of speech does not mean I have to be forced to listen (or
read) what you type.

Tell me Mike, 1) do you read each and every posting in this newsgroup?

2) Do you have a kill-file, or selectively choose to ignore postings
from certain posters?

If you answered either No to #1 or Yes to #2, then by your definition
you are practicing "censorship", aren't you?

Do you read my posts? I've more than once posted that I have maybe
a hundred or more posters from the rra groups in my bozo bin. I haven't
seen a post from Mr Morgan for a long long time, until he started
posting in rec.radio.amateur.antenna when the gang started branching
out. That's what prompted me to get Xnews, and all those problems go
away.

But here is the crucial difference. *I* choose who I see and who I
don't see. Not you, not some group of "moderators" who don't like
someone, or have arbitrary reasons about what is right or wrong to post.

Perhaps you don't understand what might be important about that.
Perhaps you like it that way.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old February 4th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dave Heil wrote in
ink.net:

Mike Coslo wrote:
Dave Heil wrote in
link.net:

Mike Coslo wrote:
"KH6HZ" wrote in news:8wOwh.239345$fh6.215432
@newsfe13.lga:

Dave Heil wrote:

Yep. Nobody has an innate right to post to a newsgroup.
Or, as we summarized in our Constitutional Law class in college:

"Your right to free speech does not mean you're entitled to a
pulpit".
You remind me that there is a sizable fraction of people
in the US
who believe that there shouldn't be free speech.
That's not right, Mike. I can write letters to the editors of all
the magazines I want. None of them is obliged to print my letters.
I can stand up in the middle of a movie theater and espouse some
political opinion. I'll be escorted out. I can attempt to heckle
some politician during a speech. I'll be shown the door.

There are venues where you have a right to speak and venues where
you don't have a right to be heard.

Hi Dave,

There certainly are. But we're not talking about a person in a movie
theatre. I'd much prefer to make the decision on whether or not I
will see someone's posts than have someone else make that decision
for me.

That's fine, Mike. If you'd like to continue to post here, you may
continue to do so. I have no doubt that you'd be able to post
anything you've posted in the past to the moderated group.

Possibly. I think I really p****d off one of the moderators though.
He was responding to every off topic post with orders to not reply to
the posts. I ended up telling him that he was every bit as bad as the
sicko's. I expect that he might find problems with my posts. I wouldn't
have much recourse, I suppose. Whatever.

And there lies the major problem. Those strange folk that live near
you are an obvious censor target, as well as those folk who were
posting a gazillion flames to each other the last year or so. But
what about the moderator who simply doesn't like another person.

What about him or her? Are you saying that you believe that the
moderators would be likely to not pass through a post base upon not
liking someone?

I've heard of that.

As an example, Cecil
and Len are in some people's killfiles.

Okay. I certainly understand why one of them might be. Mark is in my
killfile.

But I enjoy both of them very
much. I would assume that anyone who would put Len in a killfile
would also censor his posts.

I'm not following your logic. I think it is likely that many of Len's
posts wouldn't make it in the moderated group--not because of who he
is, but because he can't control himself.

That is part of the problem. Len has called me a few things in the
past - one of my favorites is the "fifth wheel on the four morsemen of
the apocolypse". But frankly when he does th einsult thing, I almost
always laugh. His humor and approach is caustic. But I can handle that.

I have to imagine that you do too. I mean you don't take this stuff
seriously, do you. I imagine that you enjoy th everbal dueling that you
two do. Sure the old bp might raise for a second or two , but it's good
fun.

Those "anyones" could be moderators. And Cecil is
an enjoyable person to spar with on occasion, as well as a source of
knowledge.

Cecil is going to be one of the moderators. You think the other
moderators are going to stop his posts?

There are people who have him killfiled in rraa. Cecil really loves
a good argument and is pretty tenacious. A lot of people don't likr
that.

Heck, I just looked at my bozo bin, and I have a couple
hundred
people in there at least. I'm a censoring junkie. One weird post
about what some guy wants to do to another guy earns a permanent trip
to the bin.

That's not easy. Some of these guys change their posting names all of
the time. Even Mark has oodles of names he posts under.

Ain't that the truth. But I fugured that with 4 keystrokes, I could
eliminate any one of his different names. I can do that with a lot less
effort than he can sign up for new accounts.

Why the heck would anyone do that, anyhow?

But I'm deciding what shows up on my screen. Others may want
other
people to decide what they see or don't see. Sheeple.

Post here. You can make all of the decisions you like. I don't know
why you feel that you have to limit yourself to the moderated group.

Of course. Don't confuse me with the people who are worried that
they won't be able to carry on their tirades because of moderation. I
just have some philosophical problems with moderation. I've seen it
strangle groups.

Hence my stance that there is a sizable number of people who
believe that free speech is a nuisance.

You can find all sorts of free speech on this and other newsgroups.
Look at what some people choose to do with their right of free speech.
I can go to all sorts of places where I limit my right of free
speech--the theater I wrote of, a courtroom, a church, a school, a
public ceremony. There are also situations where someone's right of
free speech infringes my rights.

Honestly, what would you do if you didn't have Len to fight
with? I
suspect you would get bored and eventually stop posting.

If and when the moderated group comes into play, I doubt you'll see me
post here. According to Len, his time here is coming to an end
anyway. I don't need Leonard Anderson to make me complete.

Okay. I find it a little surprising though. Most people who stand
toe to toe with another person in newsgroups do it because they like it.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old February 4th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Cecil Moore wrote in news:Cl0xh.57805$wc5.6558
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

Dave Heil wrote:
Cecil is going to be one of the moderators. You think the other
moderators are going to stop his posts?

I'm not a moderator, Dave, I'm a technical consultant.
And I have already had postings rejected.

So what function does a technical consultant serve in theis
newsgroup? This gets better all the time!

If I make a mistake in a post will it get rejected?

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old February 4th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 3, 12:22 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
Careful, Cecil! You could be accused of making a prickish remark.

How do I prove that it is not a "prickish remark"? :-)

There's you'll dilemma. If you question the claim, it'll become "Marvy".

Dave K8MN

There goes your chances at becoming an ARRL Division Director.

Old February 4th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 3, 2:52 am, "Arf! Arf!" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... On Feb 2, 10:36 am, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
I censor my self daily, ...

Would you mind quoting the dictionary definition
of "censor" that you are using above?
--
73, Cecil,http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Why? Are you going to join Dave Heil in playing Headmaster?

Can you do any better?

I have no interest in playing spelling cop. I usually bring up
spelling in response to someone complaining about other people's
spelling. WA8ULX and K4YZ/K4CAP were famous for complaining about
other people all the while making their own mistakes.

K8MN has a need to correct other people as well, and has stated that
people who make spelling mistakes shouldn't have positions of
leadership. Then he made a spelling error.

You could better spend your time coaxing Mark to
avail himself of a spell check program instead of making excuses for him.

I could? I am not Mark's keeper.

I think you could better spend your time by not thinking about me so
much.

Mark has entered these newsgroups sounding, and typing, like an illiterate
idiot. Dyslexia aside, Mark is a barely functional, self-proclaimed savant,
and that is being generous.

That's because you're such a generous gal.

You should know better. At least YOU can be
somewhat literate, though there are doubts about that, too.

There are? Wow. I had no idea.

Old February 4th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

oups.com...
Cecil Moore wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
Careful, Cecil! You could be accused of making a prickish remark.

How do I prove that it is not a "prickish remark"? :-)

There's you'll dilemma. If you question the claim, it'll become

"Marvy".

Dave K8MN

There goes your chances at becoming an ARRL Division Director.

Two plurals in the same sentence. TSK TSK.....
Should have been, "There goes your chance..."
or, "There go your chances...."

I see a bit of Mark Morgan is rubbing off on you.

Old February 4th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 3, 2:52 am, "Arf! Arf!" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... On Feb 2,

10:36 am, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
[...]

She's right. At the very least, you spell properly.
Your sentence structure leaves much to be desired though.

Old February 4th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

what copyright would that be Mark?
mine idoit

idoit?

Open mouth, insert foot, Mark.