Old February 3rd 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Will there be post-NoCode exams?

I think the latter would be an excellent idea. I would vounteer to "VE" such
as session. Also, aren't there certain FCC licenses that require 20 wpm
testing (like Radiotelegraph)? Not sure if this license class is obsolete...

I think ham radio was the last service that required a code test.

One thing that I would like but many people on the ng would disagree with: A
certain vanity callsign format reserved only for amateurs who posses such a
certificate.

Not gonna happen, the FCC is not likely to want to be saddled with
another chore to enforce that.

The best way to demonstrate your code skills is to get on the air and
participate in CW QSOs and contests. Enjoy.
Old February 3rd 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Will VEs continue to conduct code exams and
perhaps offer wpm level certificates?

no VE's will not

Not true.
I would VE such sessions.

as I understand it would not be at a true VE session and I hope it
gets enforced

He could do the code tests after the official VE sessions are over.
Then it's just a private matter between friends.
Old February 3rd 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 3, 11:53�am, "Dee Flint" wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message

news
Bryan wrote:
There's a monthly "Qualifying Run" that you can copy, send your
results to ARRL, and (if 100% correct for = 1 minute) receive a
certificate in return.

What does one do with such a certificate?
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

I keep it in a 3 ring binder with my special events certificate myself. *

Same here.

What I did was to get a pack of plastic "sheet protectors" and put the
various important Amateur Radio papers in them so there's no need to
punch holes. Original license, various awards, membership
certificates, etc. Inexpensive and easy.

At
the time that I took my 5wpm and 13wpm tests, I was dissatisfied with my
copy even though I passed. *For my personal satisfaction, I worked for the
Code Proficiency Certificate and received one for 10wpm with an endorsement
for 15wpm.

I got up to 30 wpm way back in the late 1960s. Lots of stickers on
that certificate!

Perhaps I shall do it all over again, this time with a mill, and my
new callsign.

73 es KC de Jim, N2EY

Old February 4th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 3, 9:30 am, "KH6HZ" wrote:
wrote:
My ARRL Division is exploring bringing the "qualifying runs" to a
local venue. I don't know if they will run them concurrently with
License Exams, don't care. It will probably be a means for long time
hams to validate themselves into thinking they are still hams...

If I'm not mistaken, the ARRL has offered similar certificates for years.
Not locally, but via mail (i.e. you copy 1 minute of code at X WPM and you
get a certificate from the League). Not sure if other organizations like
FISTS do something similar or not.

Don't know much about FISTS, but you are correct about the ARRL. They
have two programs... code practice and qualifying runs. If you
qualify, send in your copy, and they send you a certificate for
whatever the speed was.

Every once in a while I try to copy the slow code practice, not the
qualifying run, it still doesn't thrill me after 20 years.

I can't imagine for the life of me why you would have an issue with that. In
a sense, it is little different than contesting... WAS, for instance.

I have so little feelings for it that its hard for me to imagine it an
issue. I only brought it up because it was "on-topic," not that I had
an interest in it.

Our Division Director, Jim Weaver, is highly proficient at keeping the
division informed.

Perhaps it is the choice of operating mode that offends you for some reason?

Copying a code tape in a classroom does not offend me. Copying code
practice on the air does not offend me. Copying a qualifying run on
the air and sending in for a certificate does not offend me. Using
code in a two way communication does not offend me.

Would it be more to your liking if the ARRL had "FM competency certificates"
where people had to copy a solid minute of a voice transmission and mail it
in the to the League?

Is this something I want my League spending money on? Sure, I don't
care. If it help these guys get over their loss... it will be money
well spent.

Old February 4th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Bryan wrote:
There's a monthly "Qualifying Run" that you can copy, send your
results to ARRL, and (if 100% correct for = 1 minute) receive a
certificate in return.

What does one do with such a certificate?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

I keep it in a 3 ring binder with my special events certificate myself. At
the time that I took my 5wpm and 13wpm tests, I was dissatisfied with my
copy even though I passed. For my personal satisfaction, I worked for the
Code Proficiency Certificate and received one for 10wpm with an endorsement
for 15wpm.

Dee, N8UZE

I had a WAS Map that I colored in each state that I worked. That was
fun.

Old February 4th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Bryan wrote:
[...]

Jim, what's your new callsign?

Old February 4th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Cecil Moore wrote:
Bryan wrote:
There's a monthly "Qualifying Run" that you can copy, send your
results to ARRL, and (if 100% correct for = 1 minute) receive
a certificate in return.

What does one do with such a certificate?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

One can do with it, whatever one wishes. For expressing pride to others, one
could display it. For the purpose of pride to oneself, it need not be
displayed. just knowing it was earned is satisfaction in itself.
73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old February 4th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Robert Casey wrote:

I think ham radio was the last service that required a code test.

Not quite. There's still a Morse proficiency requirement for the
Radiotelegraph licenses: http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/exam.html.
Unlike the Amateur exams, the speed requirement depends on the class of
license, *and* whether or not any aids are used. Tests are for both
receiving and sending.

73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old February 4th 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Bryan wrote:
For expressing pride to others, one could display it.
For the purpose of pride to oneself, it need not be displayed.

From Wikipedia's "Seven Deadly Sins":

"Pride/Hubris (Latin, superbia) ...
In almost every list Pride is considered the original and
most serious of The Seven Deadly Sins, and indeed the ultimate
source from which the others arise."
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old February 4th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 4, 12:06 am, "Bryan" wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Bryan wrote:
There's a monthly "Qualifying Run" that you can copy, send your
results to ARRL, and (if 100% correct for = 1 minute) receive
a certificate in return.

What does one do with such a certificate?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

One can do with it, whatever one wishes. For expressing pride to others, one
could display it. For the purpose of pride to oneself, it need not be
displayed. just knowing it was earned is satisfaction in itself.
73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Knowing you did it is not enough? You need validation from the ARRL
in the form of a certificate?

You don't need any more proof. Slow Code General 1 November 30th 06 02:21 AM
YOU PUNCED MarQueerMyDear Swap 0 November 25th 06 08:04 AM
THOUSANDS THROUGH THE MAIL!! [email protected] CB 1 February 1st 05 11:27 PM
I made a lot of money doing this! Nothing to lose! [email protected] Antenna 0 January 25th 05 07:15 PM
BATLABS possible stolen motorola radio post private General 0 December 13th 03 03:46 AM