Old March 24th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

On Mar 23, 5:07 am, "Call Sign Not Given" 101ABN@anon wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 22, 11:05 am, "David Stinson" wrote:
ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. I am not about to memorialize anyone
about whom I care or whom I respect by placing their name on
the ground where thoughtless people wipe dog-poop off their shoes
and spit their gum. I don't know who first thought of this fad
(and Lord, I hope it's a "passing fad"),
but it's a bad idea and I would never, ever do it.
Build a wall with the bricks, or anything else
other than a "walk on you daddy" place.
73 David S.

Could be like a Vietnam Vets memorial - in black and below ground
level.

Many of us cherish the Memorial. You, apparently, do not.

You have no friends' names engraved upon The Wall. I do.
You don't know what a Combat Infantry Badge requires. I do.
You've never parachuted from an aircraft. I have.
You've never been to The Wall. I have.

Please, leave the Vets' memorial out of your mindless meanderings.

Screaming Eagles....AIRBORNE!

Alpha Five One, 101st Airborne, Ft. Campbell, KY.

Thank you for your service.

Old March 24th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 24, 12:40 pm, wrote:
On 24 Mar 2007 08:35:26 -0700, wrote:

On Mar 22, 9:10 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:04?pm, wrote:

On Mar 22, 11:05 am, "David Stinson" wrote:

ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. ?I am not about to memorialize anyone
about whom I care or whom I respect by placing their name on
the ground where thoughtless people wipe dog-poop off their shoes
and spit their gum. ?I don't know who first thought of this fad
(and Lord, I hope it's a "passing fad"),
but it's a bad idea and I would never, ever do it.
Build a wall with the bricks, or anything else
other than a "walk on you daddy" place.
73 David S.

Could be like a Vietnam Vets memorial - in black and below ground
level.

No...it is supposed to be a "playground" according to N2EY. [see
RRAM recent post] :-(

I try not to read too much of him. It's bad ju-ju.

Actually, it is just a small money-income-producing scheme by
MY amateur radio organization (I joined) disguised as a "memorial."
NOT a good choice in my opinion.

I side with David Stinson: Make it a WALL, something that is
upright, something one can be eye-to-eye with. NOT something
to look down upon or to walk over.

But, putting callsigns on the bricks? Some of those callsigns are
(and have been) reassigned to later, living radio amateurs by the
FCC. What then? As time progresses more of that will happen
and all amateur radio license grantees do NOT "own their calls."

Mike Deignan will attest to that.

nah he could attest to this he will not

His actions and Riley's are a matter of public record, so we don't
need Mike to attest.

Someone at the ARRL (perhaps a cardinal in the Church of
St. Hiram?) got delusions of grandeur when trying to gen up
some extra cash inflow. They should have thought SERIOUSLY
about it beforehand.

I realize that every organizations needs cash-flow to operate, but
maybe callsign police badges would be a better way to go.

What's going to happen when the ARRL decides to remodel and the bricks
end up at the landfill?

or end up being nothing but silent keys

Future hams and ham families will flock to Newington, placing scraps
of paper over the brick and etching the callsign for posterity.

"LIke" the Vietnam Memorial in DC? Good Lord!

"Like" as in -rejected- by many who served. But it's all they've got,
so now some embrace it.

Amateur radio
is NOT MILITARY SERVICE and NO ham has to put their LIFE
into defending the Constitution of the ARRL! :-(

73, Len ex-RA16408336

Jim served in other ways... No?

and sneers at those that served

Operating a ham radio in the ARC basement is the moral equivalent of
military service.

Old March 25th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 22, 9:10 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:04?pm, wrote:

[...]

They call it "serving in other ways..." :-(

Let them go up to Newington's Barracks and stand guard
around the Diamond Terrace and protect it with their LIVES
if they want to "serve."

They only thing they "serve" is their own imaginations.

Amateur radio is supposed to be about enjoying an
interesting, technical avocation. In here it is mostly
a group of middle-school mentality male misfits carping
at all the others who won't agree with them.

The "Diamond Terrace" project is something the ARRL
thought up...apparently to enshrine its own home grounds.
I have nothing against such a project but I object to what
I think is a mis-use of "my club" funds in order to boost
their home grounds appearance and "memory." [I am a
member of the ARRL]

Making up some nebulous "reason" for enshrining some
names, possibly callsigns, in a "memory walk" area is a
rather transparent effort to bring in more funds for the home
ground's budget. It only reinforces a false delusion of
"greatness" of past amateur radio hobbyists which will lead
other, newer amateurs into a false idea of their hobby.

The "Diamond Terrance" project isn't even close to the
Vietnam War Memorial. Those whose names are on that
memorial gave their LIVES in the service of their country.
Amateur radio is a hobby pursuit, NOT a "service to the
country" nor even close to it.

Those of us who HAVE served our country in the military
know the true feeling of such service. Those who have
not so served will never know it nor understand it. They
cannot ever understand it.

73, Len AF6AY ex-RA16408336

Old March 25th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 23, 12:07�am, "Call Sign Not Given" 101ABN@anon wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 22, 11:05 am, "David Stinson" wrote:
ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. *I am not about to memorialize anyone
about whom I care or whom I respect by placing their name on
the ground where thoughtless people wipe dog-poop off their shoes
and spit their gum. *I don't know who first thought of this fad
(and Lord, I hope it's a "passing fad"),
but it's a bad idea and I would never, ever do it.
Build a wall with the bricks, or anything else
other than a "walk on you daddy" place.
73 David S.

Could be like a Vietnam Vets memorial - in black and below ground
level.

Many of us cherish the Memorial. You, apparently, do not.

Knock it off Rambo-wannabe.

You have no friends' names engraved upon The Wall. I do.

Not a requirement of the US amateur radio community.

You don't know what a Combat Infantry Badge requires. I do.

So, where did you EARN one? In your dreams?

You've never parachuted from an aircraft. I have.

BFD. I did that once.

You've never been to The Wall. I have.

When I was last in DC it was decades ago. "The Wall"
wasn't even a concept, let alone a war in southeast
Asia. There WAS a real, shooting war in northeast
Asia then. Were YOU there? In Korea?

Please, leave the Vets' memorial out of your mindless meanderings.

Please give some sign that you are ACTUALLY into
some form of amateur radio...not just some idle
dreamer who has watched the Military Channel on cable
TV too much.

Screaming Eagles....AIRBORNE!

Go scream somewhere else, REMF.

Alpha Five One, 101st Airborne, Ft. Campbell, KY.- Hide quoted text -

- Hide "Alpha Five One" identity -

Go jump out of an aircraft without a parachute. I've done that
several times...have you?

Len Anderson AF6AY ex-RA16408336, SSgt USA

Old March 26th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 22, 9:10 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:04?pm, wrote:

[...]

No pass unless a physical disability was involved. If they had better
things to do or just didn't want to, then too bad.

Let them go up to Newington's Barracks and stand guard
around the Diamond Terrace and protect it with their LIVES
if they want to "serve."

Ten-hut!

They only thing they "serve" is their own imaginations.

I'm with the ARRL Vice Director that said we shouldn't believe own own
BS.

Amateur radio is supposed to be about enjoying an
interesting, technical avocation. In here it is mostly
a group of middle-school mentality male misfits carping
at all the others who won't agree with them.

It can be about emergency communications.

For example, I have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen but that doesn't
mean that I'm the fire department.

The "Diamond Terrace" project is something the ARRL
thought up...apparently to enshrine its own home grounds.
I have nothing against such a project but I object to what
I think is a mis-use of "my club" funds in order to boost
their home grounds appearance and "memory." [I am a
member of the ARRL]

Perhaps actual ARRL members should have a complimentary brick, and not
through our windows.

Making up some nebulous "reason" for enshrining some
names, possibly callsigns, in a "memory walk" area is a
rather transparent effort to bring in more funds for the home
ground's budget. It only reinforces a false delusion of
"greatness" of past amateur radio hobbyists which will lead
other, newer amateurs into a false idea of their hobby.

The only "memorial" I need are the QSL cards that are in the shacks of
all the hams I've sent my card to.

The "Diamond Terrance" project isn't even close to the
Vietnam War Memorial. Those whose names are on that
memorial gave their LIVES in the service of their country.
Amateur radio is a hobby pursuit, NOT a "service to the
country" nor even close to it.

You can't completely ignore the emergency communications aspect of the
hobby.

Those of us who HAVE served our country in the military
know the true feeling of such service. Those who have
not so served will never know it nor understand it. They
cannot ever understand it.

73, Len AF6AY ex-RA16408336-

But they talk about it as if they might.

Old March 26th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"AF6AY" ) writes:

The "Diamond Terrace" project is something the ARRL
thought up...apparently to enshrine its own home grounds.
I have nothing against such a project but I object to what
I think is a mis-use of "my club" funds in order to boost
their home grounds appearance and "memory." [I am a
member of the ARRL]

Making up some nebulous "reason" for enshrining some
names, possibly callsigns, in a "memory walk" area is a
rather transparent effort to bring in more funds for the home
ground's budget. It only reinforces a false delusion of
"greatness" of past amateur radio hobbyists which will lead
other, newer amateurs into a false idea of their hobby.

How can it be a misuse in the first paragraph when in the second you see
it as a means of fundraising?

It obviously is a means of fundraising. Lots of organizations will put
up a plaque or name a building after you if you donate enough money. Other
organizations will let you "buy" a chair or something, and put a plaque on
it.

Any organization generally has a fixed income, and a fixed budget. If they
want to do something extraordinary, they need to do this sort of fundraising
campaign, so they can raise money without raising fees or whatever their
usual source of income.

What people are forgetting is that this isn't even new for the ARRL.
IN the early sixties, when they wanted a new HQ building, they had a long
fundraising campaign. There was a regular "thermometer" type display in
many or all issues, showing how close to the goal the fundraising was going.
I thought they might have sold "bricks" but the first issue I find that
has a report says nothing about that, though a certificate was issued to
each donor. It got the HQ building built, but didn't take away from
existing work, or raise membership fees. The people who paid for
the new building were happy to do so, because they were doing it
on a voluntary basis.

This is basically an extension of that fundraiser. The idea being
taht if there is something permanent, people are more likely to donate
money. If they get something tangible, they don't even have to be
concerned with what the money is used for, which means "outsiders"
can even be tempted to donate. (Maybe not in this case, but when
that theatre group here has their annual raffle, the lure of the prizes
should mean a broadened base of ticket buyers.)

Michael VE2BVW

Old March 26th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 25, 6:57�pm, (Michael Black) wrote:
"AF6AY" ) writes:
* *The "Diamond Terrace" project is something the ARRL
* *thought up...apparently to enshrine its own home grounds.
* *I have nothing against such a project but I object to what
* *I think is a mis-use of "my club" funds in order to boost
* *their home grounds appearance and "memory." *[I am a
* *member of the ARRL]

* *Making up some nebulous "reason" for enshrining some
* *names, possibly callsigns, in a "memory walk" area is a
* *rather transparent effort to bring in more funds for the home
* *ground's budget. *It only reinforces a false delusion of
* *"greatness" of past amateur radio hobbyists which will lead
* *other, newer amateurs into a false idea of their hobby.

How can it be a misuse in the first paragraph when in the second you see
it as a means of fundraising?

The ARRL is using its PRESENT facilities to publicize this
"Diamond Terrace." I would personally prefer they do
something else with "donations" rather than beautify their
grounds with memorials that are 3K miles from me.

It obviously is a means of fundraising. *Lots of organizations will put
up a plaque or name a building after you if you donate enough money. *Other
organizations will let you "buy" a chair or something, and put a plaque on
it.

I'm well aware of those things.

Any organization generally has a fixed income, and a fixed budget. *If they
want to do something extraordinary, they need to do this sort of fundraising
campaign, so they can raise money without raising fees or whatever their
usual source of income.

Let's cut to the chase here. The ARRL is *also* a publishing
business. That is the major non-secret to their coming to the
top of the membership organizations of amateur radio before
WW2...and staying there well after WW2 ended.

What people are forgetting is that this isn't even new for the ARRL.
IN the early sixties, when they wanted a new HQ building, they had a long
fundraising campaign. *There was a regular "thermometer" type display in
many or all issues, showing how close to the goal the fundraising was going.
I thought they might have sold "bricks" but the first issue I find that
has a report says nothing about that, though a certificate was issued to
each donor. *It got the HQ building built, but didn't take away from
existing work, or raise membership fees. *The people who paid for
the new building were happy to do so, because they were doing it
on a voluntary basis.

Well, that's very nice. Yes, they need facilities to keep their
publishing business going so that it can be the major source
of income that pays the staff (who work in the buildings), pays
the utilities, pays the billing of the DC legal staff, pays the
lobbying organization in DC. Etc. I've also seen their federal
income tax returns which report a taxable multi-million dollar
annual profit.

This is basically an extension of that fundraiser. *The idea being
taht if there is something permanent, people are more likely to donate
money. *If they get something tangible, they don't even have to be
concerned with what the money is used for, which means "outsiders"
can even be tempted to donate. *(Maybe not in this case, but when
that theatre group here has their annual raffle, the lure of the prizes
should mean a broadened base of ticket buyers.)

I am more than familiar with theater groups, even if they spell
it "theatre." :-) Lots of them in the Los Angeles area. This
is the entertainment center of the world (and big business,
regardless of what NYC thinks).

I'm not going to wage war over this Diamond Terrace project.
I just object to it in its present form, okay?

I say again, I don't care for THIS particular "memorial" thing
and it means nothing to me for spiffying-up some building
entrance that is 3K miles from me in cold New England
territory. What would Hawaiian or Alaskan amateurs think
of such "memorials" considering they are even further away?

Bottom line: The ARRL is *not* some local club that
depends near-total on member contributions. But,
the way I see it, the League sometimes tries sales pitches
to make distant members THINK they "need to contribute."

73, Len AF6AY

Old March 26th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: on Sun, Mar 25 2007 6:47 pm

On Mar 22, 9:10 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:04?pm, wrote:
On Mar 22, 11:05 am, "David Stinson" wrote:

ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

? ?Amateur radio
? ?is NOT MILITARY SERVICE and NO ham has to put their LIFE
? ?into defending the Constitution of the ARRL! ?:-(

? ?73, Len ? ex-RA16408336

Jim served in other ways... ?No?

and sneers at those that served

Operating a ham radio in the ARC basement is the moral equivalent of
military service.

They call it "serving in other ways..." :-(

No pass unless a physical disability was involved. If they had better
things to do or just didn't want to, then too bad.

We can't tell them that, Brian. Their combination of ego and
imagination is too strong in them...

Let them go up to Newington's Barracks and stand guard
around the Diamond Terrace and protect it with their LIVES
if they want to "serve."

Ten-hut!

:-)

They only thing they "serve" is their own imaginations.

I'm with the ARRL Vice Director that said we shouldn't believe own own
BS.

Yes. I wonder if that individual is still holding office?

Amateur radio is supposed to be about enjoying an
interesting, technical avocation. In here it is mostly
a group of middle-school mentality male misfits carping
at all the others who won't agree with them.

It can be about emergency communications.

For example, I have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen but that doesn't
mean that I'm the fire department.

True. But, I think there is TOO MUCH EMPHASIS on this
"emergency communications," so much so that it has become
a trite cliche' of rationalization by some. [I think we
all know who those are...]

If we look at the REAL reason behind amateur radio, we
will find out it is NOT "because" of the emergency
communications POSSIBILITY, but just for the ability to
communicate and tinker with radios.

The "Diamond Terrace" project is something the ARRL
thought up...apparently to enshrine its own home grounds.
I have nothing against such a project but I object to what
I think is a mis-use of "my club" funds in order to boost
their home grounds appearance and "memory." [I am a
member of the ARRL]

Perhaps actual ARRL members should have a complimentary brick, and not
through our windows.

Neither, I think. :-)

I have nothing against donations made to membership organizations.
What I am against is the idea of a quasi-shrine sort of memorial
to what is basically a hobby activity...and over-much emphasis on
all the "excellence" of those who are memorialized...and at the
same time trumpeting the idea that the League is THE judgemental
organization that determines such "excellence." History determines
that, not some organization trying to brainwash its membership
into believing ONLY the League.

Making up some nebulous "reason" for enshrining some
names, possibly callsigns, in a "memory walk" area is a
rather transparent effort to bring in more funds for the home
ground's budget. It only reinforces a false delusion of
"greatness" of past amateur radio hobbyists which will lead
other, newer amateurs into a false idea of their hobby.

The only "memorial" I need are the QSL cards that are in the shacks of
all the hams I've sent my card to.

Sounds good to me.

Recently the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce had to move some
of the embedded brass-and-terrazo "stars" on its "Hollywood
Walk of Fame." Digging under them was needed for deeper
street-sidewalk repair. No big hu-hu on that and all here
know full well the whole "Walk of Fame" thing is one huge
publicity thing. The entertainment biz is very much INTO
publicity of any kind, indeed one of the life-blood factors
of the business. Nobody rationalizes that those stars mean
"greatness" or "excellence." Except some tourists from way
out of town...who really like celebrites. Billions have seen
the work of actors and entertainers; they are "larger than
life" on the big screen and leave indelible impressions in
the minds (and imaginations) of the audiences. Big impact
and BIG Business. This area is the acknowledged center of
world motion picture and television production.

I see this "Diamond Terrace" little more than a transitory
trip to some kind of publicity for the League, a publicity
designed to generate income for the League and make the
League grounds a prettier place to WORK in...locally. I'm
not about to become a Believer tourist who makes a trip to
Newington to "pay respects to olde-tymers immortalized" in
bricks to be walked upon. I doubt you would be one of those.

I do know some who ARE Believers in the ARRL, to the point
of making outright gifts to them. Gifts for what? Services
rendered? Such service is implicit in the membership
contract all members sign (in the equivalent of actual
signature via e-mail/Internet application). Unfortunately,
the League goes overboard on its own publicity for the VALUE
of such services...and at the same time, doing its PR thing
for publications from the League...publications that increase
the monetary profits TO the League.

We are engaged in a HOBBY activity for the purposes of
communicating with others. If a very few of us managed to
come up with something that really advances the state of
the art of radio and communications, that is a good thing.
However, MOST radio amateurs just USE their radios in the
hobby. The stage is set for imagination trips in such use.
Some align themselves WITH the movers and shakers of
technology AS IF they, too, were innovators/pioneers in
something. They aren't. They are mainly hobbyists having
fun in a technological endeavor. There should be nothing
wrong with that, but some individual egos just won't let
go and join reality.

The "Diamond Terrance" project isn't even close to the
Vietnam War Memorial. Those whose names are on that
memorial gave their LIVES in the service of their country.
Amateur radio is a hobby pursuit, NOT a "service to the
country" nor even close to it.

You can't completely ignore the emergency communications aspect of the
hobby.

I'm not. I've been trying to point out that MOST radio
amateurs are just into radio for communicating or tinkering
with radios for their own enjoyment. Thoughts of 'heroism'
or 'serving the community' by means of their radios is
largely imaginary or exaggerated...or just a rationalization
(usually invalid) as an excuse for playing with radios,
sometimes rather expensive toys. The vast majority of radio
amateurs have NO experience with real emergencies and few
have training in such things beyond lecturing in a classroom.

The "Diamond Terrace" project doesn't have a thing to do
with emergency communications, does it?

Those of us who HAVE served our country in the military
know the true feeling of such service. Those who have
not so served will never know it nor understand it. They
cannot ever understand it.

But they talk about it as if they might.

THAT is the wrongness...on their part.

73, Len AF6AY

Old March 28th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 22, 9:05�am, "David Stinson" wrote:
ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. *

It's a pretty common way to raise money. The person doesn't usually
have to be dead to get
their name on a paver, though.

Some years back the local historic society wanted to
renovate the local (Wayne PA) train station. They did the pavers thing
and raised enough to do a
really nice job.

There's a walkway at the nearby Agnes Irwin School
with the names of alumnae on some of the pavers.
They contributed to a major renovation/expansion.
Some of the names are famous, others virtually unknown.

I am not about to memorialize anyone
about whom I care or whom I respect by placing their name on
the ground where thoughtless people wipe dog-poop off their shoes
and spit their gum.

I've never seen anyone do that at the places I mentioned.

*I don't know who first thought of this fad
(and Lord, I hope it's a "passing fad"),
but it's a bad idea and I would never, ever do it.

Then don't! Nobody is saying you have to or even should.

It's just a fund-raising scheme. Didn't originate with
ARRL and won't end there.

These fund-raising schemes are done rather than
raising dues and/or advertising rates. Some of them permit
contributors to target where the money is spent rather than just
pouring it into the common
pot.

I wish taxes worked that way!

Build a wall with the bricks, or anything else
other than a "walk on you daddy" place.

What would be really cool IMHO would be to have one's name/call on an
actual working brick in the W1AW station building!
..
But I don't see what all the fuss is about in this
thread. If someone wants to buy a paver, fine,
it's their money spent on a good cause. If not,
there's no requirement to participate. Lots of
other worthwhile ARRL things to contribute to.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old March 29th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 28, 8:03 am, wrote:
On Mar 22, 9:05?am, "David Stinson" wrote:

ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. ?

It's a pretty common way to raise money. The person doesn't usually
have to be dead to get
their name on a paver, though.

this makes it proper and good idea ?

why do you seem to want to make another of your Jihads over some folks
expressing they don't like something I have not read (I may have
missed it) say it is ilegal accuse the ARRL of wrong doing, etc

it justs seem well "tacky" to some of us and we said so

and frankly since you want to this thread going dehumanizing it is
callsigns that are being put not names

I am Mark Morgan, not KB9RQZ, indeed I have never esp liked the
presumtion on this NG that is was proper to refer to me by mark or
markie or frankly anything but MR Morgan without my leave but till
your penadantic insistance, I ahve been reasonable content to bear it
(perhaps the facts I am a caregiver to the Elder Mr Morgan a title he
gets to enjoy automaticaly and I have fight for if I want it has
something to do with it)