Old March 22nd 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. I am not about to memorialize anyone
about whom I care or whom I respect by placing their name on
the ground where thoughtless people wipe dog-poop off their shoes
and spit their gum. I don't know who first thought of this fad
(and Lord, I hope it's a "passing fad"),
but it's a bad idea and I would never, ever do it.
Build a wall with the bricks, or anything else
other than a "walk on you daddy" place.
73 David S.

Old March 22nd 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

David Stinson wrote:
ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. I am not about to memorialize anyone
about whom I care or whom I respect by placing their name on
the ground where thoughtless people wipe dog-poop off their shoes
and spit their gum. I don't know who first thought of this fad
(and Lord, I hope it's a "passing fad"),
but it's a bad idea and I would never, ever do it.
Build a wall with the bricks, or anything else
other than a "walk on you daddy" place.
73 David S.

I would be much more worried about the "hucksters" at arrl attempting to
sell ya bricks at $75-$250 bucks.

Guess their little "religious pamphlets" just aren't going like
hotcakes! Guess their just ain't an appeal for the arrl amongst
"atheist hams!"

Maybe we should worry more about "arming" the arrl with a generous
supply of bricks, what happens if they get PI$$ED and start hurling 'em?

JS
Old March 22nd 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 22, 11:05 am, "David Stinson" wrote:
ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. I am not about to memorialize anyone
about whom I care or whom I respect by placing their name on
the ground where thoughtless people wipe dog-poop off their shoes
and spit their gum. I don't know who first thought of this fad
(and Lord, I hope it's a "passing fad"),
but it's a bad idea and I would never, ever do it.
Build a wall with the bricks, or anything else
other than a "walk on you daddy" place.
73 David S.

Could be like a Vietnam Vets memorial - in black and below ground
level.

Old March 23rd 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 22, 3:04�pm, wrote:
On Mar 22, 11:05 am, "David Stinson" wrote:

ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. *I am not about to memorialize anyone
about whom I care or whom I respect by placing their name on
the ground where thoughtless people wipe dog-poop off their shoes
and spit their gum. *I don't know who first thought of this fad
(and Lord, I hope it's a "passing fad"),
but it's a bad idea and I would never, ever do it.
Build a wall with the bricks, or anything else
other than a "walk on you daddy" place.
73 David S.

Could be like a Vietnam Vets memorial - in black and below ground
level.

No...it is supposed to be a "playground" according to N2EY. [see
RRAM recent post] :-(

Actually, it is just a small money-income-producing scheme by
MY amateur radio organization (I joined) disguised as a "memorial."
NOT a good choice in my opinion.

I side with David Stinson: Make it a WALL, something that is
upright, something one can be eye-to-eye with. NOT something
to look down upon or to walk over.

But, putting callsigns on the bricks? Some of those callsigns are
(and have been) reassigned to later, living radio amateurs by the
FCC. What then? As time progresses more of that will happen
and all amateur radio license grantees do NOT "own their calls."

Someone at the ARRL (perhaps a cardinal in the Church of
St. Hiram?) got delusions of grandeur when trying to gen up
some extra cash inflow. They should have thought SERIOUSLY
about it beforehand.

"LIke" the Vietnam Memorial in DC? Good Lord! Amateur radio
is NOT MILITARY SERVICE and NO ham has to put their LIFE
into defending the Constitution of the ARRL! :-(

73, Len ex-RA16408336

Old March 23rd 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"David Stinson" wrote in message
ps.com...
ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. I am not about to memorialize anyone
about whom I care or whom I respect by placing their name on
the ground where thoughtless people wipe dog-poop off their shoes
and spit their gum. I don't know who first thought of this fad
(and Lord, I hope it's a "passing fad"),
but it's a bad idea and I would never, ever do it.
Build a wall with the bricks, or anything else
other than a "walk on you daddy" place.
73 David S.

There's no reason to get uptight about it as no one has to do this. Let
those who want to do so. Those who don't like it are not compelled to
participate.

I wouldn't do it myself but I see no harm in others doing so.

Dee, N8UZE

Old March 23rd 07, 08:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 22, 11:05 am, "David Stinson" wrote:
ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. I am not about to memorialize anyone
about whom I care or whom I respect by placing their name on
the ground where thoughtless people wipe dog-poop off their shoes
and spit their gum. I don't know who first thought of this fad
(and Lord, I hope it's a "passing fad"),
but it's a bad idea and I would never, ever do it.
Build a wall with the bricks, or anything else
other than a "walk on you daddy" place.
73 David S.

Could be like a Vietnam Vets memorial - in black and below ground
level.

Many of us cherish the Memorial. You, apparently, do not.

You have no friends' names engraved upon The Wall. I do.
You don't know what a Combat Infantry Badge requires. I do.
You've never parachuted from an aircraft. I have.
You've never been to The Wall. I have.

Please, leave the Vets' memorial out of your mindless meanderings.

Screaming Eagles....AIRBORNE!

Alpha Five One, 101st Airborne, Ft. Campbell, KY.

Old March 23rd 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Follow-up to a letter I received:

Old March 24th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"David Stinson" wrote in
oups.com:

Placing the name of someone we claim to respect under the
unavoidably dirty heel of passing observers simply begs credulity;
I am astonished that anyone finds this acceptable

snip

I was a little surprised that the donations of Diamond club members wwere
used in this way. I briefly considered joining the Diamond club. In
retrospect, I am glad I did not, as I don't find that a particularly good
use of my money.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old March 24th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Call Sign Not Given" 101ABN@anon wrote in newssnd6.lba.19.1
@news.alt.net:

wrote in message
Could be like a Vietnam Vets memorial - in black and below ground
level.

Many of us cherish the Memorial. You, apparently, do not.

You have no friends' names engraved upon The Wall. I do.
You don't know what a Combat Infantry Badge requires. I do.
You've never parachuted from an aircraft. I have.
You've never been to The Wall. I have.

Please, leave the Vets' memorial out of your mindless meanderings.

Screaming Eagles....AIRBORNE!

Alpha Five One, 101st Airborne, Ft. Campbell, KY.

I've been to the Wall. For all the controversy generated when it was
designed, and built, it is perhaps the most fitting and dignified
memorial out of all the memorials I've seen. Sobering. Nothing to stop
you in your tracks like watching someone bawling their eyes out reading
the names of their lost buds or making a tracing of the same.

Keep it out of the stupid arguments in this group.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old March 24th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 22, 9:10 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 22, 3:04?pm, wrote:

On Mar 22, 11:05 am, "David Stinson" wrote:

ARRL's "Diamond Terrace" Memorial

I do NOT understand this "fad" of placing bricks on the GROUND
to memorialize someone. ?I am not about to memorialize anyone
about whom I care or whom I respect by placing their name on
the ground where thoughtless people wipe dog-poop off their shoes
and spit their gum. ?I don't know who first thought of this fad
(and Lord, I hope it's a "passing fad"),
but it's a bad idea and I would never, ever do it.
Build a wall with the bricks, or anything else
other than a "walk on you daddy" place.
73 David S.

Could be like a Vietnam Vets memorial - in black and below ground
level.

No...it is supposed to be a "playground" according to N2EY. [see
RRAM recent post] :-(

I try not to read too much of him. It's bad ju-ju.

Actually, it is just a small money-income-producing scheme by
MY amateur radio organization (I joined) disguised as a "memorial."
NOT a good choice in my opinion.

I side with David Stinson: Make it a WALL, something that is
upright, something one can be eye-to-eye with. NOT something
to look down upon or to walk over.

But, putting callsigns on the bricks? Some of those callsigns are
(and have been) reassigned to later, living radio amateurs by the
FCC. What then? As time progresses more of that will happen
and all amateur radio license grantees do NOT "own their calls."

Mike Deignan will attest to that.

Someone at the ARRL (perhaps a cardinal in the Church of
St. Hiram?) got delusions of grandeur when trying to gen up
some extra cash inflow. They should have thought SERIOUSLY
about it beforehand.

I realize that every organizations needs cash-flow to operate, but
maybe callsign police badges would be a better way to go.

What's going to happen when the ARRL decides to remodel and the bricks
end up at the landfill?

"LIke" the Vietnam Memorial in DC? Good Lord!

"Like" as in -rejected- by many who served. But it's all they've got,
so now some embrace it.

Amateur radio
is NOT MILITARY SERVICE and NO ham has to put their LIFE
into defending the Constitution of the ARRL! :-(

73, Len ex-RA16408336

Jim served in other ways... No?