Old October 20th 03, 07:15 PM
WA8ULX

He does keep bringing it up, doesn't he?

Dan/W4NTI

Well Dan you know he is an NCI Member, that should have given us a CLUE.
Old October 20th 03, 11:29 PM
N2EY

In article , Leo
writes:

Jim,

I think I have the answers to your bonus quiz:

Hanging Fire (or Hang Fire) - an old military term used when a black
powder artillery piece did not immediately fire when the priming
charge was lit (could be a few seconds delay before the main charge
was ignited). Still used in this context whenever modern ammunition
misfires.

Also used in connection with cord-fused explosives in blasting for mining,
tunneling, etc. Hang-fires were one of the reasons for the change to blasting
caps.

Doubling The Hill - this one is probably an old railroad term for the
practice of seperating train cars and taking them up a steep hill in
two runs, back when steam locomotives were common. Insufficient power
to pull the entire train up the hill in one run would have
necessitated this practice.

Give the man a cee-gar!

Sometimes the problem was lack of motive power, but there was also the factor
of coupler strength and rail adhesion.

Modern RRs are well-documented enough know that horsepower and train
characteristics are figured out ahead of time by computers.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 3rd 03, 02:30 AM
N2EY

These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of October 31, 2003:

Novice - 32,939 (decrease of 16,390)
Technician - 257,987 (increase of 52,593)
Technician Plus - 64,302 (decrease of 64,558)
General - 141,315 (increase of 28,638)
Advanced - 82,460 (decrease of 17,322)
Extra - 104,706 (increase of 25,956)
Total - 683,709 (increase of 8,917)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 17th 03, 01:28 AM
N2EY

These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of November 16, 2003:

Novice - 32,875 (decrease of 16,454)
Technician - 258,433 (increase of 53,039)
Technician Plus - 63,976 (decrease of 64,884)
General - 141,350 (increase of 28,673)
Advanced - 82,323 (decrease of 17,459)
Extra - 104,728 (increase of 25,978)
Total - 683,685 (increase of 8,893)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 1st 03, 05:00 PM
N2EY

These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of November 30, 2003:

Novice - 32,830 (decrease of 16,499)
Technician - 258,967 (increase of 53,573)
Technician Plus - 63,689 (decrease of 65,171)
General - 141,387 (increase of 28,710)
Advanced - 82,209 (decrease of 17,573)
Extra - 104,750 (increase of 26,000)
Total - 683,832 (increase of 9,040)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 1st 03, 09:15 PM
Robert Casey

N2EY wrote:

These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Why select May 14th 2000? Restructuring took effect a month
earlier. I upgraded from tech + to extra on April 15, 2000 and
the paperwork reached the FCC just a few days later the next week.
Thus I would show up as an extra in the May 14th 2000. If your
objective is to show the effects of restructuring, you need to list
the numbers for April14, 2000.

Old December 2nd 03, 04:58 AM
N2EY

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

N2EY wrote:

These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Why select May 14th 2000?

Two reasons:

1) I happened to have those numbers recorded

2) By that date, it's reasonable to expect that all of the backlog from before
the April 15 changes had gone through FCC.

Restructuring took effect a month
earlier. I upgraded from tech + to extra on April 15, 2000 and
the paperwork reached the FCC just a few days later the next week.
Thus I would show up as an extra in the May 14th 2000. If your
objective is to show the effects of restructuring, you need to list
the numbers for April14, 2000.

If you have them, I'll show them.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 2nd 03, 08:08 PM
Robert Casey

N2EY wrote:

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

N2EY wrote:

These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Why select May 14th 2000?

Two reasons:

1) I happened to have those numbers recorded

2) By that date, it's reasonable to expect that all of the backlog from before
the April 15 changes had gone through FCC.

Restructuring took effect a month
earlier. I upgraded from tech + to extra on April 15, 2000 and
the paperwork reached the FCC just a few days later the next week.
Thus I would show up as an extra in the May 14th 2000. If your
objective is to show the effects of restructuring, you need to list
the numbers for April14, 2000.

If you have them, I'll show them.

Okay, that makes sense, especially reason #2. There would be some
cross leakage, but probably not enough to matter in determining long term
trends.

73s Bob

PS, I don't have the numbers myself, but as you mentioned, they would miss
the backlog of activity before April 15th.

Old December 4th 03, 05:16 PM
N2EY

Robert Casey wrote in message ...
N2EY wrote:

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

N2EY wrote:

[...]

Yep. One can look at the AH0A site for monthly numbers as well.

FCC and the various VECs got pretty backlogged around then, too. Some
folks didn't see actual database changes for a few weeks.

PS, I don't have the numbers myself, but as you mentioned, they would miss
the backlog of activity before April 15th.

Yup. I know a bunch of hams who strove to upgrade *before* April 15,
for various reasons (such as getting an Advanced before they were gone
forever).

--

What I find interesting is how *little* the numbers have changed in
almost 4 years. For example, at the end of March, 2000, there were a

IOW, perhaps the code test wasn't the "barrier" it was proclaimed to
be.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old December 5th 03, 11:59 PM
Bill Sohl

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
Robert Casey wrote in message

N2EY wrote:

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

N2EY wrote:

[...]

Good thing I never made the argument about code testing
being a barrier. I have always strictly viewed the code test
as simply no longer necessary as a test requirement.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK