RadioBanter

-   -   ARS License Numbers (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26575-re-ars-license-numbers.html)

N2EY July 1st 03 04:54 PM

ARS License Numbers

These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of June 30, 2003:

Novice - 33,796 (decrease of 15,533)
Technician - 256,588 (increase of 51,194)
Technician Plus - 67,416 (decrease of 61,444)
General - 141,181 (increase of 28,504)
Advanced - 83,239 (decrease of 16,543)
Extra - 104,271 (increase of 25,521)
Total - 686,491 (increase of 11,699)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Scott Unit 69 July 16th 03 10:12 PM

As of July 15, 2003:
Technician - 257,319 (increase of 51,925)

It would have been 51,922 if I hadn't dragged 2 others with me...

Carl R. Stevenson July 17th 03 12:57 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of July 15, 2003:

Novice - 33,662 (decrease of 15,667)

decrease due to upgrades,plus attrition

Technician - 257,319 (increase of 51,925)

new licensees, plus tech+ renewed as tech

Technician Plus - 67,055 (decrease of 61,805)

decrease due to upgrades, plus tech+ renewed as tech, plus (perhaps slight
attrition)

General - 141,181 (increase of 28,605)

upgrades, plus new licensees who made it on the first pass

Advanced - 83,239 (decrease of 16,590)

upgrades, plus slight attrition

Extra - 104,301 (increase of 25,551)

upgrades, plus new licensees who made it on the first pass

Total - 686,861 (increase of 12,069)

About 4k total growth per year ...

Still slower growth than desirable by a long shot ... eliminating Morse
testing will help, but more needs to be done to promote ham radio
to those 40-50 years old if we want long-term survival ... I'll be
53 in October and I'm in the youngest quartile as far as I can estimate.

Carl - wk3c

Vshah101 July 17th 03 03:58 AM

From: "Carl R. Stevenson"

Still slower growth than desirable by a long shot ...

I'd like to get some of my friends licensed and use it for utility purposes.
Other than that, what does it matter about ARS license numbers?

eliminating Morse testing will help

No, it won't. The entry-level license is already code free. Eliminating Morse
testing will not cause more people to want to join.

Some do join just for HF, but that won't affect ARS license numbers.

but more needs to be done to promote ham radio
to those 40-50 years old if we want long-term survival .

I hate to say this, but vanity helps. Better to appeal to selfish motives than
selfless motives. The emergency communicator, the public service aspect - What
young person wants that?

Morse code and contesting don't appeal to vanity.

Morse code may be fun, but it takes more than that. If that fun makes you the
object of ridicule, then its not worth it. That makes it a "guilty pleasure"
-something you keep to yourself.

When they call contesting competition, it offends the normal sensibilities.
Making short QSOs (oops, I used a codeword) and counting contacts. Contesting
is competitive in a way, but its just one way. To exclude several kinds of
competition for contesting just isn't right. It means that competition isn't
the real motive. That's just a rationalization.

Real competition is expanding one's limitations. It includes radio direction
finding, APRS, mobile operation, tuning, troubleshooting, real emergency
preparedness.

And don't forget the social aspect.

Contesting is really boring too. It's human nature not to like boring
activities.

Some Hams will take a day off for a Hamfest that is on Friday and Saturday.
That takes one day away that could be used for a real vacation day. Just go
Saturday - you won't miss anything. Also, lets not schedule Hamfests and other
Ham Radio events during people's free social time, as Hams often do.

If you make the social aspect intolerable, some young people will not join for
that.

Brian July 17th 03 05:07 AM

Scott Unit 69 wrote in message ...
As of July 15, 2003:
Technician - 257,319 (increase of 51,925)

It would have been 51,922 if I hadn't dragged 2 others with me...

Way to go, Scott.

bb

Brian July 17th 03 05:11 AM

(N2EY) wrote in message . com...
These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of July 15, 2003:

Novice - 33,662 (decrease of 15,667)
Technician - 257,319 (increase of 51,925)
Technician Plus - 67,055 (decrease of 61,805)
General - 141,181 (increase of 28,605)
Advanced - 83,239 (decrease of 16,590)
Extra - 104,301 (increase of 25,551)
Total - 686,861 (increase of 12,069)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Hmmm. Yet another increase. What will Kelley say?

I'm going to start calling him "weatherman." He's wrong more than 50%
of the time, yet you'se guys still pay attention to him.

Jim Hampton July 17th 03 05:26 AM

Scott, I *love* it. You even used unit 69! BTW, congratulations. Now the
CBers will hate you. You've gotta go middle of the road like me (until we
get squished, like a grape!)

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"Scott Unit 69" wrote in message
As of July 15, 2003:
Technician - 257,319 (increase of 51,925)

It would have been 51,922 if I hadn't dragged 2 others with me...

---

Dick Carroll July 17th 03 07:16 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

"Vshah101" wrote in message

Some Hams will take a day off for a Hamfest that is on Friday and

Saturday.
That takes one day away that could be used for a real vacation day. Just

go
Saturday - you won't miss anything. Also, lets not schedule Hamfests and

other
Ham Radio events during people's free social time, as Hams often do.

That's the only time available to schedule. You can't schedule during work
time or not enough people will be able to come.

When it comes to ham radio, Vipul has virtually everything bassackwards. I sure
home he isn't so consigned in everything he does, or he's in for serious difficulty
in life.

Dick Carroll July 17th 03 07:25 AM

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

eliminating Morse
testing will help,

Depends on an accurate definition of "help". I seriously doubt any help will accrue
from allowing all the freebanding illiterati to migrate down to HF.

Steve Robeson, K4CAP July 17th 03 02:14 PM

From: "Carl R. Stevenson"

Still slower growth than desirable by a long shot ...

I'd like to get some of my friends licensed and use it for utility purposes.
Other than that, what does it matter about ARS license numbers?

eliminating Morse testing will help

No, it won't. The entry-level license is already code free. Eliminating Morse
testing will not cause more people to want to join.

Another back-peddling "engineer".

Just a month ago he was adamandt that the code had to go to get
people in...

I hate to say this, but vanity helps. Better to appeal to selfish motives than
selfless motives. The emergency communicator, the public service aspect - What
young person wants that?

Then get your $14.50 out...KV1PPY and KV1PUL are still available.

When they call contesting competition, it offends the normal sensibilities.

BBWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
! ! ! !

Calling "contesting" competition is offensive..?!?!

You have teams of Amateurs trying to beat other teams scores...

What's different about that than say...a chessmaster trying to
outscore HIS opponent? Or watching the Cowboys run over the Rams? Or
a poker player hoping his two of a kind beats what the other guy is
holding...?!?!

Making short QSOs (oops, I used a codeword) and counting contacts. Contesting
is competitive in a way, but its just one way. To exclude several kinds of
competition for contesting just isn't right. It means that competition isn't
the real motive. That's just a rationalization.

What an idiot.

Real competition is expanding one's limitations. It includes radio direction
finding, APRS, mobile operation, tuning, troubleshooting, real emergency
preparedness.

You don't "expand" limitations, Vippy...you exceed them, you
overcome them, you....

Oh wait...this is YOU we are talking about...Yes, I guess YOU do
"expand" your limitations...

And don't forget the social aspect.

Contesting is really boring too. It's human nature not to like boring
activities.

Yeah...that's why there are more and more "bored" people every
year on the air...Sure is depressing to hear all those "bored" people
on those weekends, isn't it? Especially when YOU can't get in there
and be bored right along with them...

Somewhere in all of that was a point to be made, but I'll be
danged if I know what he was trying to get at...

Steve, K4YZ