Old July 20th 03, 05:58 PM
Vshah101

From: (Steve Robeson, K4CAP)

They don't happen to me. Doesn't happen in the four closest clubs to me, at
Hamfests in MA, NH, CT. Doesn't happen despite my best efforts to search

for
such activities. Its not what Hams are interested in.

And you refuse to identify these clubs by name. I am sure that is
directly due to the fact that we will then be able to confirm, via
third parties, that you silly assertions are false.

I went to a Ham club in CT yesterday. I know, failure results from doing the
same things that didn't work before, but it was a "new" type of club. It was
the VHF/UHF/Microwave club in CT. Between the DXpedition and this event, I will
skeptical of any Ham Radio event from now on.

Lots of homebrewed microwave stuff. And they supposedly did Minimum Signal
Testing, although I didn't stick around to verify this.

I found the Ham culture similar to other clubs, however. Mostly talking about
Ham stuff. Some technical talk about their setup. However, the technical person
would feel out of place there. A few talked about the people they contacted. A
few were happy to include others. Most of them were not. They seemed to contact
people through the radio, but not in person.

About 20+ people were there. More were showing up, but I didn't say long. Also,
it was 100% male. About half were old and about 75% were overweight. Not that
there is anything wrong with that. There just seems to be a correlation in Ham
Radio demographics. What is is about Ham radio that makes you want to eat
alot? Surprising, Ham Radio brings in few females.

Again, WHY do you insist that these things don't go on when
indeed they are frequent topics of conversation in QST, 73, CQ,
etc...?!?!

I cant find any, despite my best effort. Lets face it, Hams are anti-social
males. Significant percentages are overweight and older. Most do not like the
technical aspect, either. You'll find that at any random Ham Radio gathering or
event.

Old July 21st 03, 12:29 AM
Len Over 21

In article , (N2EY)
writes:

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

For example, one of the things that drove hams to abandon AM and NBFM in the
'50s was the crowding and heterodynes in the 'phone bands when AM was king.
This may be a big reason for the "great giveaway" of late 1952.

"AM?!?" All along you've insisted that US hams had SSB in the 1950s!

Perception can be quite different from reality. Unless we have the entire
database or a truly representative sample, impressions are misleading.

Tsk, tsk, tsk...you keep interpreting your database info and claiming it
is THE interpretation. Are you saying you are now MISLEADING
everyone?!?

Actually, the younger generation first has to know ham radio even exists.

This is true ...

Something we gotta fix.

Why? Is it broke? No sense "fixing" something if it ain't broken. :-)

Of course. But how do you know that young people won't embrace traditions?
For many people, the novelty of doing something that isn't mainstream is a big
attraction. PCs used to be like that - now they're appliances.

Radio stations in homes were once new and interesting. Around 1935
or so. Now, HF transceivers are just appliances.

1935 was, oh, around SIXTY-EIGHT YEARS AGO. :-)

We obviously disagree. What makes you think that "Many folks are interested
in HF access as part of their 'portfolio' of capabilities." ???

The disagreement is that the code test is a major disincentive to many. It's
just a requirement. However, let's put that aside because it will soon be a
moot point.

No, no!! Say it isn't so! You've reiterated that a morse code test is
NECESSARY because so many hams around the world use morse
code! Don't tell us you've changed your mind?!?!

Nope. The whole artificial above/below 30 MHz thing came about because of
S25.5. That's not going to be an issue much longer. Time to take a fresh look
at things.

A "fresh look?!?" Good grief.

Definitely a change of mind. Reverend Jim must have found a new stash.

NCI's "agenda" is to eliminate Morse testing.

I'm not asking "NCI".

Sorry, you are blatantly addressing Carl and NCI.

I'm asking a wideranging question of anyone who's
interested. It's time to look beyond the code test as the only issue on the
table, if we're really interested in improving the future of the ARS.

Then apply for a staff position at ARRL. Remember, Dave Sumner will
retire eventually...there's your CHANCE at becoming Executive
Director For Life! :-)

Until then, test element 1 is still in Part 97. The fat lady hasn't sung.
It ain't over in here yet until test element goes away.

LHA
Old July 22nd 03, 12:57 AM
Vshah101

From: Dave Heil k8mn

I thought you told us that hams don't homebrew gear.

I guess VHF/UHF/Microwave or QRP clubs do.

What would you expect hams to talk about a ham radio club meeting?

It was an operating event, not a club meeting.

I did not expect them to be similar to other clubs. When I asked different
people about their setup, he seemed busy and not wanting to talk about it. If
it was me, I would happily explain what I made, brag about it, show interested
people schematics, share technical info, etc.

However, the technical person
would feel out of place there.

You mean around the homebrew microwave gear?

Yes, once they were setup, they were much the same as the non-homebrewing Ham.

Are you telling us that they sat around conversing with each other by
using their homebrew microwave gear while at the meeting?

They contacted other Hams, not the same hams that were at the gathering, of
course.

What is is about Ham radio that makes you want to eat
alot?

Oh, you believe that amateur radio causes overeating. Ever hang around
a Burger King?

Okay, it was not a random group (they were a VHF/UHF/Microwave club), but it
was still Hams. And this trend occurs at several Ham radio events. Such events
require little physical activity. Also, people often eat unhealthy food at
these events. This could be a good reason for the tendency to weigh more.

Most do not like the
technical aspect, either. You'll find that at any random Ham Radio

gathering or
event.

You don't know anything about what most do.

Sure, I have not taken a poll. But isn't it foolish to believe otherwise when
you always encounter is anti-social, non technical people? I "let" my club
membership expire. If I am missing a segment that fits what I am looking for, I
would like to know about it and I would join that type of club.

Old July 24th 03, 04:25 AM
Vshah101

From: Dave Heil k8mn

When I asked different
people about their setup, he seemed busy and not wanting to talk about it.

If
it was me, I would happily explain what I made, brag about it, show

interested
people schematics, share technical info, etc.

The more you go on with these tales, the more I suspect that you
fabricate portions so as to promote your agenda.

Please tell me how what I said was fabricated. What would they have said
instead? Are you saying they were enthiusiastic about explaining their setup,
and I said the reverse?

Sure, I have not taken a poll.

Then you have no factual evidence.

I have seen it first hand. Where it the alternate reality? If its not too far
from me (so I can get there), then tell me about it. Please provide an example.

Old July 24th 03, 09:29 PM
Dave Heil

From: Dave Heil k8mn

When I asked different
people about their setup, he seemed busy and not wanting to talk about it.

If
it was me, I would happily explain what I made, brag about it, show

interested
people schematics, share technical info, etc.

The more you go on with these tales, the more I suspect that you
fabricate portions so as to promote your agenda.

Please tell me how what I said was fabricated. What would they have said
instead?

I suppose you mean, "How could I have fabricated portions to further my
hidden agenda?" The answer would be: by stretching the truth so as to
make it seem that no radio amateur at any gathering is interested in
talking to you. If, however, your statements are true, you seem to have
a god-given gift for honking people off. In all of your tales, no one
seems to want to have a thing to do with you. That leads me to believe
that you are the problem.

Are you saying they were enthiusiastic about explaining their setup,
and I said the reverse?

No.

Sure, I have not taken a poll.

Then you have no factual evidence.

I have seen it first hand.

So you say. Either things aren't as you say or your presence brings out
the worst in people.

Where it the alternate reality? If its not too far
from me (so I can get there), then tell me about it. Please provide an example.

There may not be an "alternate reality" for you, Vipul. You seem to
have your personal black could following wherever you go.

Dave K8MN
Old August 2nd 03, 01:27 PM
N2EY

These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of July 31, 2003:

Novice - 33,409 (decrease of 15,920)
Technician - 257,791 (increase of 52,397)
Technician Plus - 66,704 (decrease of 62,156)
General - 141,381 (increase of 28,704)
Advanced - 83,141 (decrease of 16,641)
Extra - 104,453 (increase of 25,703)
Total - 686,879 (increase of 12,087)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 17th 03, 06:55 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote:

writes:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of August 15, 2003:

Novice - 33,205 (decrease of 16,124)
Technician - 258,384 (increase of 52,990)
Technician Plus - 66,402 (decrease of 62,458)
General - 141,381 (increase of 28,840)
Advanced - 83,038 (decrease of 16,699)
Extra - 104,543 (increase of 25,793)
Total - 687,134 (increase of 12,342)

I regret to inform you that "Restructuring" the
US Amateur Radio Service's licensing system, to
reduce the code testing speed to 5 WPM for
General and Extra class, in addition to the
existing No-Code Technician-class license, has
resulted in a whopping 1.79 percent growth rate
in the ARS overall! (snip)

And without the 52,990 increase in non-code proficient Technicians, there
would instead be a 7.85 percent decrease in overall numbers. Of course,
that's a rough estimate - as rough as the numbers used in your argument.

What do you suppose we're gonna get from No-Code
HF? Maybe 2 percent?

Perhaps I should take this time to suggest a new
motto for the ARRL: Ham Radio -- Stick A Fork In
Us, We're Done!

If those with your views continue to deride modern Ham Radio, perhaps even
less then 2 percent. Those changes are part of Ham Radio today. If you
belittle those changes, you belittle today's Ham Radio.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/